Newcastle will field a young side tonight at Peterborough in the 3rd round of the Carling Cup tonight.
Hughton will take the chance to rest some stars and bring in some youngsters, who can get the job done tonight.
Eleven teenagers are included in the squad, (only just true since Baheng turns 20 tomorrow) and they are the following, with their ages in brackets
- Bradford-born full-back James Tavernier (18)
- Devonshire defender Ben Tozer (19)
- Northern Ireland International midfielder Shane Ferguson (17)
- Australian-born midfielder Brad Inman (17)
- French striker Wesley Ngo Baheng (19 – 20 tomorrow)
- Swedish goalkeeper Ole Soderberg (19)
- Local midfielder/striker Ryan Donaldson (18)
- Congo Republic born Kazenga LuaLua (18)
- London striker Nile Ranger (18)
- Hungarian center-back Tamas Kadar (19)
- Slovenian atacking midfielder Haris Vuckic (17)
Such is the strength of Newcastle’s youngsters, and we think Krul, Kadar, LuaLua, Nile Ranger, Ryan Donaldson and Haris Vuckic have the best chance of starting tonight.
But Chris will also need some experienced players on the bench in case they are needed.
Gutierrez and Ameobi are out injured and we assume Danny Simpson will not be risked tonight, following his ankle problems last Saturday.
And we are told Andy Carroll will be rested tonight and Zurab Khizanishvili is cup-tied.
Chris has also left Enrique and Coloccini out of the squad.
So gievn all that here’s a shot at the team Chris will start tonight:
Taylor R. Kadar Taylor S. Tozer
LuaLua Butt(c) Vuckic Baheng
Subs: Harper Smith Tavenier Nolan Ferguson Guthrie Geremi
This is a weakened and young team, but Chris must blood some of our youngsters, since they may well be needed during the season, with the squad still being so small.
On the Peterborough side of things, it seems full-back Charlie Lee (ankle) is manager Darren Ferguson’s only injury worry, and he could field the same team which beat Reading on Saturday.
Chris Whelpdale, Toumani Diagouraga and Tommy Williams should all start after being substituted for tactical reasons.
Thje goal is to win at the first attempt tonight, preferably with no injuries and no extra time.