Newcastle Get 3rd Biggest Crowd in England

Those cynics who said that Newcastle’s support is not what it’s made out to be – will be left eating their words this season.

nufc-crowd-2

This is Newcastle United Howay The Lads!!

The gossip press (the London-based  press?)  had scoffed, after Newcastle got relegated last May, about just good the Newcastle support will be in the second division this season.

But only the fantastic Manchester Derby game yesterday – what a game! – and the Arsenal home game against Wigan drew bigger crowds than at St. James’ Park.

42,898 souls turned up on Saturday to watch a game against the bottom of the league side, Plymouth – and these are not the best fans in the land?.

Here are the top crowds in England over the weekend:

• Manchester United ve Manchester City 75,066
  • Arsenal vs  Wigan 59,103
  • Newcastle  vs Plymouth 42,898
  • Chelsea vs Tottenham 41,623

The Chelsea crowd was almost a sell-out, as Stamford Bridge currently holds only 42,449, which is smaller than Newcastle’s gate on Saturday.

And for the record, in the four home league games so far this season, Newcastle have a cumulative attendance of   162,559  and an average home league gate of 40,640.

That fan support is not too bad –  for a second division side.

And it was the 4th highest in Britain as Celtic had a crowd of 58,024 in their game against Hearts yesterday, up in bonnie Scotland.

And of course these Newcastle crowds will one day hopefully persuade Barclays Bank that Barry Moat deserves a bigger overdraft limit, than the £10M being offered.

They have afforded Mike Ashley an overdraft limit of £25M, based on his financial clout presumably.

And that seems almost the last thing standing in the way of his purchase of the club, and the much welcomed exit of a certain Mike Ashley from the Toon.

Here’s wishing and hoping.

• Toon Graeme

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I was just saying this to one of the lads at work this morning.

The queus outside the box office trailled all the way down past shearers and past the shop on Saturday – so we get a lot of on the day ticket purchases.

I think with the great north run also we had a few in who ordinarily would not even be in the city.

You have to admit it makes you proud!!!

• Stuart79

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Aye, there would probably be a few more too if we were stable and had a bit of direction.

Hope we beat the Mackems recored of 48,000

• repo

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Wow do we get a Trophy for The biggest crowds..

Who cares… All i want is a good Manager and get them playing attacking football.

• G

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM

It’s a nice, if unimportant statistic. Would love to beat the mackems in that dept, and agree, that if we had a bit of direction, a permanent manager and new owner we would probs be bursting the stadium already. Still a lot of people not going as they are disgusted with the current situation. I know at least ten people who refuse to go whilst MA is still involved in the club.

• lesh

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM

And, had all of the 42000 be season ticket holders, I’m sure that the bank’d look more favourably on raising the club’s overdraft limit.

As is, they aren’t, the cash’s not banked and thus there’s a reliance on a guarantor in the form of MA.

• summerof69

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM

repo

no we dont but its still something to be proud of coz if we only got low crowds of 20,000 then we would get hammerd of the press and we would never hear the end of it

• Stuart79

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM

4 G // Sep 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I must admit that I don’t have the same enthusiasm for going to the games at the minute. I feel as though I am in some way condoning Ashley as owner.

I know that is ridiculous but that’s the way it is.

• Stuart79

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM

lesh // Sep 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM

You could say the same about all the up front money the club took from the 3 year season ticket deal….

• lesh

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Take your point Stuart79 @8 and one would hope and expect that those receipts would’ve been included as income in each of the three years covered by them. If so, there’d be a portion in this year’s budget and projections that the bank would see.

• Whumpie

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:26 AM

It IS important. It’s important for the team and therefore performances; it’s important for finances and therefore Ashley’s exit; it’s important for our pride and therefore for telling various people to go suck one.

• Stuart79

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Lesh,

you hit the nail on the head when you said ‘one would hope’.

The chances are that the money will have been spent as soon as they got it.

But it certainly wasn’t on new players. lol

• lesh

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Stuart, I’d imagine that accounting rules would dictate that the three year tickets would be classed as income for each of the years they covered and thus would have to be shown as income in each of those three years.

Can anyone clarify how advance income has to be treat in UK company accounts?

• G

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM

@Stuart79. I understand the situation with regard to people not wanting to go to games, whilst I don’t agree, I don’t condemn it either. I suppose we all have our own form of protest. I refuse to buy owt from Sports Direct, JJB, or any of MA’s other interests. I also will not spend any money in the Club Shop wilst the current regime is in place, and I have no idea where that cash goes. I go to as many games as I can, whilst living and coping quite well without my season ticket. I do not buy beer in the stands, or food from the stands, I tend to do my scranning and drinking outside the ground before and after games. I would like to see us fill the stadium again, and make some more noise at games, perhaps its my imagination but the crowd seems a lot quieter these days. I would love to put the fear factor of 50,000+ geordies screaming for the cause again, but those days seem past.

• lacedaemonian

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I think that the atmosphere at our games is not even a fraction of what it used to be. Although this seems to be a symptom of the unrealised hype that surrounds modern day football. I am guessing the atmosphere at Stoke will become pee poor as the seasons roll on and they get accustomed to the realities of the Premier League.

• shrews mag

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:02 PM

the atmosphere isn’t what it used to be when my dad started to take me to games in the early 70s.

But its more middle class now, with families and corporate hospitality. I am not saying that this is a bad thing but the atmosphere suffers.

However I have started to travel to more away than home games and the atmosphere is fantastic away from home. Singing and clapping for 90 mins is standard practice.

• Bigbadbob

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM

The fans will pay to support the team but not an owner who doesnt do likewise.

• toonsy

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:17 PM

The atmosphere died down with the addition of all the corporate facilities, most of those of which are now empty. Place like Bar1892 and around by the directors boxes are emptyish which is hamperining our attendance.

I think all the away games this seaosn have been sell outs, the ones i have been to have been anyway and the atmosphere is always cracking!

• Davey Falcus

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I don’t think I’ve been to an away match where we haven’t been immense in the crowd. I haven’t been in a while, 6-0 away to Man U if I’m not mistaken but even at 6-0 down we didn’t quieten down..”shoes off!” and all that.

The few home matches I’ve been to this season haven’t been what they used to be, in fact there are only 2 sections of the crowd that actually sing for the full 90. It’s a shame really..Would be great if we could get it back to the way things were.

• bren32

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM

season ticket holder liing in Ireland. we are definately among the best fans in the world. I know loadsa irish guys that are season ticket holders and of the commitment it takes to fly over every second week not to mention the expense. after the disgusting performance of the team last year it shows the commitment of supporters for the overall cause , owners will come and go fans are forever , come on the toon

• bren32

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM

living in ireland, aaaaargh too much booze when i wrote that

• G

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:31 PM

@Shrews Mag. You are right about the atmosphere in the 70’s there, but to be honest, it was always going to be quieter when they introduced the seating laws and took away the standing areas. Looking on the bright side though, it means you don’t get somebody urinating down your back late in the 2nd half!

• shrews mag

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:42 PM

G – … every cloud … !

• G

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Indeed shrews mag, but I loved that duffle coat!

• lesh

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM

G…… almost like somebody’s attached a hot water bottle !

• G

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM

It wasn’t hot for long Lesh… in a February fixture it causes you to almost die from exposure! The best I could respond with was a bit of a back-handed dripple out of one of those big plastic cartons of squash they used to turf out in SJP! Halcyon days indeed

• xfer

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Amazing support we’ve got!

• chuck

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM

It`s early days and overall we are winning, with only the mighty W/Brom. above us.
    Let`s see what the cold days of Jan. bring if we are not in the top three ?

• BADMAG

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:58 AM

The size of our crowd has little or no bearing on
    the size of our overdraft or our dealings with the bank due to the Fat mans brilliant idea of offering 3 year season tickets, he has trousered the cash already , all the income will be from the pay on the day supporters which will only be a fraction of the total crowd