Kevin Keegan Takes The Club He Loves To The Cleaners

It looks like Kevin Keegan is holding out for a full payment of his claim against the Newcastle United Football Club.

kevin-keegan-fhfhg

Kevin Keegan – taking the club he loves to the cleaners

Sources close to Ashley say the former Newcastle manager has rejected an offer of £4M from the Newcastle club, to resolve their differences and is holding out for a full £10M settlement.

Any pay-off would impact the Tyneside club’s finances, at a time when they are trying to get their finances in order, so the club can be sold to Barry Moat.

Any large payout the Newcastle club have to make could well impact the sale of the club, and a decision by the tribunal looking into the case, is expected by the end of the week.

If Keegan wins his case in full, it means his contract, which initially ran for 3.5 years from a year last January, will be paid in full by the club (£9M), and he will also be awarded costs for the case, estimated at around £1M.

That could come out close to £10M when everything is added up.

And that’s an awful lot to pay for a now Championship club to one man, when you consider Barry Moat can only get a £10M overdraft from Barclays Bank right now, if he manages to buy the Newcastle club.

£10M is Barclays limit for Championship clubs, and its around £39M for Premier league clubs we understand.

A judgement against Newcastle could therefore be a serious financial burden, at an unfortunate time.

The only hope the Newcastle club have, if they lose the case,  is to try to negotiate the payout over a number of years, to lessen the immediate impact.

It will mean Keegan will be paid a full salary of £3M/year through the summer of 20111, even though he left the club over a year ago, and worked for only 8 months at the club, the second time around.

Isn’t that  just a great way to make a living, since he’s now working as a pundit for ESPN.

No wonder we can only afford loan players this season.

The case is being heard in private and its resolution had been hoped to clear one of the obstacles in the way of Ashley selling the Championship club, but the club’s expectation was that Keegan would certainly not win his case outright.

A source close to the Newcastle club said:

“Newcastle remain unsure how it will pan out but Keegan is certainly confident that he will get his way and all the cash he wants,”

“If he gets a massive pay-off that could really have an effect on the rest of the club.

“Any money would  come out of the club and not Ashley’s pockets, making it a very dangerous situation for Newcastle.”

But hey, we have to be thankful for small mercies – we’d hate to think what Keegan would be after if he didn’t love the club!

• Widowmaker

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:33 AM

Don’t see anything wrong with KK’s action against “MA”.

• rabster

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Hey Ed,
    I guess you believe that murderers shouldn’t be punished if they have kids.

If Ashley did the crime he should pay. We’d be saying that about any other club.

NUFC will still be here long after KK and Ashley are gone.

• JonnyNufc

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:51 AM

I fail to see how it wont come out of Ashleys pocket unless he adds it onto how much he wants for the sale of the club, which i wouldnt put past him.

Otherwise the clubs money is his money, whats he gonna do make cutbacks from all the money hes been lavishing on us previously ?

• bobby_ollox

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:08 AM

I think its fairly obvious now that KK only came back for the money, not for unfinished business. I think that he took the first opportunity he could to jump ship, and maybe is looking at this money as being what he is owed from first time round.

I am trying no t to think about it too much – his first spell here was a magical time, and the memory should not be tainted by this tawdry argument about money.

• will die for the toon army

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Why did he ever come back? We wld be now with Dechamps.
    They say that your past glory can never justify your present crime.
    KK is no longer one of my Messiahs.

• Toonmania

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:32 AM

from what i’m lead to beleive, the overdraft has been agreed @£20 million for moat as he has prooved to the bank that he has the backers to cover it, i have heard this from my boss as i work for Barclays he is one of the people that have been dealing with the overdraft for newcastle, i’m hoping this means that moat has reasonable backers if barclays are willing to extend his terms

• Nick D

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Will die for the toon army
    So true mate.

A foreign guy could have worked the system.
    While I have some sympathy for KK (though not 10M worth for an uncompleted contract,) someone like Deschamps or Di MATTEO who I championed a long time ago as they spoke English, had experience of English football, had good contacts, played good football and developed youngsters, would have been the way to go. KK was a sentimental step backwards this time around.

• Charlietoon

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I have sympathy for Keegan but not much. He could have stayed around and given the two players he had no interest in signing a go, he would have been proved right most likely as to them being no good and would have been able to move them on after a year. He would have proved his point about being in control of transfers and the club would have been able to move forward.

Right now he is being a greedy selfish man who in no way earned the money he is seeking and is using his own dislike of Ashley to excuse the damage he will do to the club he loved.

Hopfully the panel will look at his history of walking out on clubs when the chips get down and go with Nufc though I think a small settlement is what he should take. give him 500gs and tell him to be on his way and go pay off some his debts by sticking to what he starts.

• toonsy

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:58 AM

So, some people have short memories eh? I dont, i fully remember his first stint in charge. The magical football. The feeeling of promotion, europe, title challenges. The many times he proclaimed his love for the club and fans.

Unfortunately, thats in the past. If KK rally wants to prove he was right and fatboy was wrong, he can win his case and his payout, then give the money back to the toon. It wouldnt matter anyway would it? The money? I mean, if KK is such a man of high principles, surely being right would be enough?

After all, he only came here all those years ago as a player for the money!

• Graeme

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Lets not forget that MA brought in Keegan as he had completely ballsed up after sacking FSA with no one lined up to replace him. ‘Arry said “No thanks” and MA was up the creek with no paddle and no plan “B”.

We were all looking for a continental to come in on the basis that MA obviously had no idea how to run a club so he would hire the best available to run it for him – a fairly logical solution!!

At that point MA had a brain-wave and brought back local hero KK in the knowledge it would get the fans off his back and look like a masterstroke to all involved. Which almost worked for him, if you remember the hysteria that followed the announcement, although not all of us were convinced it was a great idea.

MA then changed the terms under which KK was employed by removing his ability to bring in the players KK wanted and that was never, ever going to be acceptable and the inevitable then happened and KK quit.

Mr Ashley now has to deal with the consequences of his actions and the tribunal will decide to what extent KK was undermined and therefore “Constructively Dissmisssed” Just like every other Employer/ Employee relationships there are laws governing the rights of both.

This is nothing to do with KK trying to milk NUFC or even MA – he is protecting his rights as defined by the law of the land and if they are proved to have been breached, he is entitled to compensation from his employer. Its no different to what any of us are entitled to if we are in the same position.

• Bigbadbob

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Disgrace how Keegan is being portrayed as the villain stealing cash from the club, have we all forgotten about a certain Dennis Wise who is still being paid by the club despite wasting millions in the transfer market.
    Also, what about the huge payoff Allerdyce got, Keegan was treat badly by Ashley and he deserves payback, end of story, Ashley might learn a lesson from this but i doubt it.
    I dont believe that the amount will effect the takeover, the price will just be adjusted as it wont be the new owners liability.

• buda boom

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Keegan is not taking the club to the cleaners. He is getting what is rightfully due. There is no story just fact.
    I hope the conclusion of the case speeds up the sale of the club but the sayings of “be careful what you wish for” and better the devil you know could come home to roost.

• Bigbadbob

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Going back to last night, why the hell didnt Hughton play Butt who clearly needs match practice, it annoys me that certain players are above reserve games where they should be playing until recovered and ready for first team selection.

• Davey Falcus

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Toonsy its unfair to expect us to completely side with KK because of his past exploits. I’m sorry but this time around he left us with a big pile of sh*t to shovel up and is now back to nick our binbags.

As much as I love KK for what he did for us previously I can’t agree with him getting his full settlement. He doesn’t deserve it, he probably deserves the 4m offered but no more. I think in this case Ashley f*cked up as usual but I don’t agree he did so to the extent where KK had no option but to quit.

There was always other alternatives, he managed to get us mid-table the season before and that was only from January. Had he stayed with the same sqaud instead of spitting the dummy out I have no doubt we would have been in the top half come season end.

But like I said in the Moat thread, I just want this all to end. If KK gets his full settlement and I am proved to be wrong then fair enough, I will put my hands up and agree my assumptions were wrong, but the sooner this is done with and the sooner this takeover jargon is finished the better!

• toonsy

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM

BigBadbob – Surely you could have added that onto the thread about the match last night, any 1 of 3 of them.

• Bigbadbob

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:22 AM

toonsy – you in charge here?

• Pons Aelius

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Personally I’m with Keegan on this one. This will be a landmark case in football if he wins and I for one will feel justified in my fury if it’s proved he didn’t just walk out on the club.

When Keegan left the club nearly every Newcastle fan including me went nuts, screaming for a reason, some sort of justification. We collectively lambasted the clubs hierarchy who have since then placed a gagging order on everybody involved.

I’m sure everyone who remembers Keegan’s previous associations with the club couldn’t believe that he had just walked out and left us in the mire because of a strop or because MA wouldn’t play ball.

Keegan said he walked out because of a matter of principal, that he had entered a legal contract that had been breached. No-one, not even NUFC have the right to act in that way so if KK’s claim is upheld, Ashley’s business (sadly our club), MUST be held fully liable.

I’m sure Mort will have discussed this issue in depth with Ashley and will have a contingency in place. Since KK’s second spell ended we have waited with almost endless patience to see if it really was Ashley’s fault that we lost a manager who finally seemed to be unifying the club.

Now we find out if Ashley or Keegan is the villain. The courts will decide. I will have to eat humble pie if Keegan is at fault, but if so i will at least know the current owner is not the fool I accused him of being.

• Jamesthefirst

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM

According to The Times today Barry Moat will be the new owner by Monday, and Ashley has asked for a “bonus” to be paid to him if we get promoted! Can you believe that fat t**t

• Johno Toon

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I think Keegan Ashley Wise and Lmbaris ( or however you spell that silly name ) are all at fault. For whatever reason none of them could get their act and solve their differences for the good of the club , yes I do think Keegan desevres something but not 10 million , regardless of what comes out of the court case him wanting 10 million really does in my mind suggest he came back for 1 last pay day and wanted out as soon as he could. Yes Ashley moved the goal posts but i think KK would of been aware of what was going on before wise came in. And he cant say he didnt have any say in transfers didnt he sign bassong?

• UTD111

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Yet another article and accusation headline based upon something allegedly said by “sources close to the club” – which normally translates into “made up by a journalist who hasn’t got a real story today”.
    Even if this garbage did emanate from “sources close to the club” – well, you wouldn’t expect them to exactly say something nice about Sir Kevin would you? Otherwise they’d soon become “sources not close to the club!”
    One thing Ed – why do you keep using £10M? The figure being bandied about by all the other people who don’t really know is £8M.

• Mag 48

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:26 AM

There has been only one man in charge that is Ashley he has had the power to do whatever he liked.Its his decisions that are at fault.I would have had a little more respect for the man if he had stood up for his beliefs rather than fold at the first hurdle.Lots of people have there lives affected by his decisions at least KK can do something about his but I would bet he would rather be manager. Thank you Mr Ashley I don’t think we have reached the bottom yet.

• ObaMartins

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM

ED ….Whats the reason for the Keegan hate campaign ? Justice needs to be seen getting done in this case , why have you Taken the side of people that have run this club into the GROUND, the reason we have not brought and players in lands at ASHLET’S door, look what players have come to the Club in the last 18 month “Second rate” oh exept for Bassong who Keegan got in and we made £8 million profit on….i guess that pays for keegan’s Claim….stop the hate against Keegen ED it Not needed or wanted….put the blame where it belongs at ASHLEY’S FEET…..

• Filthy Malcolm

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Ridiculous article by man who is losing credibility by the second.

• magpie6699

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Ed is entitled to put what he wants – just as I am entitled to say that Keegan has gone down in my estimation a) by walking out and b) putting his greed (“I deserve £8 million not 2 or 4)” above the stability of the club. KK is NOT suing Ashley – he is suing his former employers i.e. the club.

Sorry guys, that’s the way I see it, and before anybody says anything I am NOT an apologist for MA – in fact I want him out asap – I just can’t see how the effect of the prolonged, drawn-out KK business can do anything other than hurt the Toon. At best it’s delayed us reaching some resolution and at worst, it may have deterred some bidders or stripped usable assets out of the club, perhaps?

• UTD111

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Magpie6699
    I see you include a direct quote from Sir Kevin in your comment – “I deserve £8million not 2 or 4”

When did Kevin say that, exactly?

• Whumpie

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Sorry, Ed – but I too think this story’s bias is pathetic, ill-informed, naive and utterly counter-intuitive.

For starters: to say it’s the club that’s paying and not Ashley is daft. If you’ve crashed your car, you get less when you sell it; period. The reason things are suddenly moving along in the sale of the club is that they have a good idea of the outcome and no doubt Ashley will have agreed to foot the bill.

KK isn’t damaging the club here – he’s doing what’s right, which is going to be to the benefit of all football clubs in the future, in case they get gits like Ashley in charge who try to screw over their staff.

What you’re suggesting is that doing what’s right is overridden by our need for more players. Some morals there, mate.

And at the end of it all there’s this: If you were in KK’s position – utterly screwed over and humiliated by the same cockney mafia that have dragged us all through the mud for the past two years, would you let them off the hook? Would you say, “tell you what, Mike – keep the money and buy yourself a nice left-back”?

So two-faced – you spend two years slagging off every move that Ashley and his crones make, but expect the man who’s had to deal with them first hand to just take all the s**t and leave with his tail between his legs.

I hope KK gets a reasonable payout (it won’t be 10m – get real) but most of all I hope he gets a clear decision which exonerates him and destroys Ashley. Then all this fickle, ridiculous hate can stop.

• Nobby_Long

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Ed,

I find this all extremely distasteful.

How do you know that Keegan is only interested in the cash? If he accepts a settlement outside of the tribunal he will not be able to prove his case.

It could just be that Keegan wants to prove he had been undermined and wants to show to the world that Ashley & his muppets reneged on their contract & promises.

I think I would want my day in court if I were him & it will be doing the football world a favour if he wins. A contract is a contract after all.

As for the money…..don’t you think the club have already made provision for it ????

If Ashley is proved right, then the club could even benefit…..so let it take its natural course & we will see what happens.

• batty

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM

spot on obamartins the cash what fat ash made on the bassong sale will pay for keegan being treated unfiarley

• batty

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM

KEEGAN KEEGAN KEEGAN

• Whumpie

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:42 AM

magpie6699 – the reason KK is suing the club is that HE HAS TO – he can’t sue Ashley; it’s not a choice.

And it WILL BE GOOD for the club, because it will remove one last obstacle to the sale.

Lastly, it will not cost the club, it will cost Ashley. A seller can’t just sit there and demand a price regardless of the condition. The club is damaged by what Ashley did, and the value is consequently lower. Mort and others have no doubt been holding off to know how much lower, after which a deal will go through.

So I’m really hoping for a quick, clear decision. it would be nice if KK donated some of the money to charity, but I don’t see that there’s any obligation to do so.

• Dragonera

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Bigbadbob

Your argument about Wise and Allardyce is fundamentally flawed as both were SACKED. KK the quiter walked out. Do we hear of Curbishley taking West Ham to the cleaners? No, because the man has more dignity. KK is a disgrace and i hope the media ridicule and tear into him. Utter, utter disgrace,

• Davies

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM

For the record ‘Arry was never offered the job, he was interviewed for it, but decided he didn’t want it, which is fine by me, as I can’t stand the steak faced old tosser.

Keegan’s return was a mistake. Proper.

I was sceptical about it then and I’m pi55ed off about it now. I knew that there would be a huge disappointment from him. I knew he would walk out again. The only real surprise has been that he has obstinately dug in his heals and done his best to get as much cash out of the club as he can.

He says he loves the club, but he obviously loves the cash more. Loves it.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Serves Ashley right…Sooner he clears off the better..good luck KK and hope you get your full 10m.

• Bigbadbob

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Dragonera – no it isnt , constructive dismissal is the same as the sack and both those sackings cost the club a fortune so why single out Keegan and label him a bandit?

• North Atlantic Magpie

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I support Kevin.

• Davies

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Whumpie, we know he can’t sue Ashley and that it has to be the club. That’s the point. If you love something, do you kick it when it’s down?

I don’t see anything of principle in this. I see spite and greed. Disappointing, given the man’s standing before his second spell in charge, but predictable, given his proven inability to finish anything properly without spitting his dummy.

• Dragonera

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Bigbadbob

How can you call it constructive dismissal when you have no knowledge of MA’s actions regarding KK’s position? How do you know what the terms of KK’s contract were and if they were breached?

…Also, like i said. Why didn’t Curbishley take West Ham to the cleaners? More dignity? Maybe he feels he hasn’t EARNED his pay as he hadn’t WORKED for it. A rationale KK has no grasp of. In a way, MA has saved KK’s career as he is now a pundit for ESPN. Would they have gone near him had he still been the pathetic, whingey man with the struggling circus? Doubt it.

• Dragonera

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM

“KK is a money grabber. The fact that he said he would never return shortly before returning stands testimony to that. It is undeniable.”

…Let me guess. You will now say he returned as his “love for the club and it’s fans” was so strong it forced him out of retirement. A logic that is then ruled out by his sudden departure in our time of need. A time where he again put himself before the club. If he loved the club as much as you are probably about to protest then he would have stuck with the job and tried to deliver success to the fans.

• macn0ble (Finland)

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:21 AM

KK is acting like a bitter bitch!

First goes for a devorse and then comes in and starts to complain about husband gettin some on the side.

For all of you who thought it was return of the messiah, cheerio!!!

Let’s see if this thing with Shearer will go to the same direction…Just see what happened with Argentina and Maradona….

• UTD111

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Dragonera // Sep 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Bigbadbob

—————————————-

Dragonera – if you look past the end of your nose, you might find a big fat clue in the fact Sir Kevin took legal advice and was advised that he had a case?