Promotion Is Biggest Target This Season – Hughton


Chris Hughton has come out and said that getting Newcastle back into the Premier League this season is job one for the club.

chris hughton -794658900

Chris Hughton – job one is promotion

Chris said today:

“I made the decision before the game because we’ve got players with a few little niggles, and lads that have been involved in most of the games so far,”

“I either played them with a risk of them getting injured or field a side of youngsters. ” “We knew it would be tough with the side we put out. In the end it was too much for them.”

“The performance in the first half was not good enough. We allowed them too much possession and gifted them two goals.”

“We know we rode our luck, but certainly I wanted a better performance.”  “I never spoke to the owner (Mike Ashley) about the team selection. I have to protect the vulnerable ones in our squad.”

“There is no doubt promotion is the biggest target this season. ”  “But I don’t want to look upon the cup competitions as something we would be glad to be out of.”

“We would prefer to be in the hat for the next round. If we had won the game tonight it would have given us a big lift ahead of Saturday’s game.”

It would have been good to have been able to get through the round on the backs of our youngsters but it wasn’t to be – but quite honestly we’re not too upset about it – as long as we beat Ipswich Town on Saturday.

And the news being reported fairly widely today, is that Barry Moat is more confident than ever, that he close the deal with Ashley, and soon.

It may well be before the Internationals break, in less than two weeks that Barry has become the new owner.

The only spanner in the works is the Kevin Keegan claim against the club, but whatever happens, we have to hope (and pray) that doesn’t upset the deal, which is why we were more than a little critical of  Keegan pushing for the his maximum claim of £10M  against the club this week.

In all of this stuff, the club just must come first, for a change.

And it’s certain that Moat will immediately bring in Alan Shearer as manager, so we’ll have a long term manager and back-room staff in place and could well attract new  players in January.

Of course the main thing is to keep winning games, but the new owner will have 7 weeks before the loan window closes on November 25th, so we have to hope that new players can still be brought in.

Last night proved that the squad is just not big enough to be able to maintain the excellent start we have made in the league and still needs strengthening.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

17 comments so far

  • Toon Graeme

    Sep 23, 2009 at 9:50 AM

    Comment #1

    Yet another defeat and pointless sending off etc.

    0
  • Filthy Malcolm

    Sep 23, 2009 at 10:26 AM

    Comment #2

    “The only spanner in the works is the Kevin Keegan claim against the club, but whatever happens, we have to hope (and pray) that doesn’t upset the deal, ”

    Do you not think that people involved in the clubs sale are intelligent enough to have made plans for the outcome of this tribunal whichever way the result may go?
    Are you really gullible enough to believe that if Keegan (rightfully IMO) wins his case the club will be allowed to collapse because of this.

    Also, have you asked yourself why has Ashley has supposedly offered a £4 million payout to a man who he claimed “walked out” of the mangers job.

    Dear oh dear!

    PS/….. Did you slag Bobby Robson off when he sued the club a few years ago for reasons similar to Kevin Keegan?
    Thought not!

    0
  • Whumpie

    Sep 23, 2009 at 10:38 AM

    Comment #3

    The usual good, honest words from CH. He did the right thing; it didn’t work out, but to be honest we’re better out of it anyway.

    My only concern is how the younguns react. Hopefully it’ll help to keep them grounded with a reality check, rather than wrecking confidence. At 17 it doesn’t take much.

    0
  • Whumpie

    Sep 23, 2009 at 10:46 AM

    Comment #4

    Well said, Malcolm. We know that KK stayed around for ages trying to sort things out – even swallowing his pride and going to london to try to ressurrect things and avoid what has happened.

    On top of that, we have the seemingly endless examples of why none of us would even be in the same room as the likes of Ashley, Wise and Llambias – yet we expect KK to work for them, be abused, humiliated and then say “aw, ok Mike – keep the money”.

    And as you point out, as if we need any more evidence that Ashley’s got no case, we hear that he’s offered a £4m settlement?

    So Ed – what evidence exactly are you basing your KK-bashing on?

    0
  • liam85

    Sep 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM

    Comment #5

    I didn’t really care about last night’s game. I just care about the promotion!!
    It’s our key focus for this season.
    Come on lads, let’s beat Ipswitch this Saturday 🙂

    0
  • Davey Falcus

    Sep 23, 2009 at 11:19 AM

    Comment #6

    Malcom, Sir Bobby didn’t sue did he? I have no recollection of that. I may be wrong, but I thought he just left honorably.

    And you always have to look at the possiblility that Ashley offered the 4m because, like most of us, he’s sick of how long this is taking and wants to conclude the sale of the club.

    Granted, that is a long shot but its a possiblity. And until we know the facts we can’t say why he offered the settlement because we don’t know.

    0
  • sheppyno9

    Sep 23, 2009 at 11:49 AM

    Comment #7

    Ed who’s we, i was fuming last night, i took a day off work, spent in total about £150 yesterday and Hughton plays kids, yes i agree promotion is number 1 priority, however you play a winning team and that builds confidence. can you imagine how those kids felt last night getting hammered (and i mean hammered) by a team that in my opinion will do well to stay in the CCC, what does that do to their confidence, and what about us, the fans who travel hundreds of miles to learn he’s playing at best his youth team squad….i think it’s disgusting and disloyal to the thousands of fans of Newcastle UTD.
    You are not the voice of the Newcastle Fans Ed, so next time stop the we and speak for yourself

    0
  • Kevin Nichol

    Sep 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM

    Comment #8

    sheppyno9…

    I feel your pain m8; i did not travel down to the game yesterday and i feel sorry for you andthe fans who did due to the performance/result; but it was the correct decision to rest the majority of the players who will be starting on saturday! that cup competion means nothing to us this season; we have to get promoted again asap!

    Let’s hope the club do something like giving all the fans who travelled a disount on their next awap trip ticket or something….I doubt it though with the current management!

    I know martin o neil paid for all the traveeling fans to go out for a meal and talk with the fans who travelled to moscow when villa put out a reserve side!

    It would be nice off some of our high earners to do something similar!

    0
  • DJM TOON

    Sep 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM

    Comment #9

    yeah, sorry for this sheppy, but more fool you for expecting anything less!

    and this is a BLOG, its called so, because it expresses a persons OPINION… and the WE Ed uses is taken as the royal WE and he’s nowhere near deluded enough to speak for the newcastle faithful,

    perhaps the WE is the fact that he employs a huge staff of about 50people collecting info and writing the threads… i mean, everyone thinks he makes a fortune form this site but he insists he see’s no money at all… so maybe staff wages is where it goes?!

    muppet

    0
  • lacedaemonian

    Sep 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM

    Comment #10

    I remember there was some wrangling over Sir Bob’s settlement but nothing like this. And let’s not forget Bobby was sacked. Makes me cringe still. Souness was considered a better candidate for the job…..

    0
  • G

    Sep 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM

    Comment #11

    @sheppyno9 – I would also add my voice to the opinions above, number 1 priority is promotion. We do not have a large enough squad to compete on more than one front. Anybody who knows anything about football should have expected what happened last night. Yes, winning is a nice habbit, but it is more important to win league matches for us right now than pursue a cup run.

    0
  • premier

    Sep 23, 2009 at 12:42 PM

    Comment #12

    Never mind at least enough points should be gained to avoid another relegation

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Sep 23, 2009 at 12:42 PM

    Comment #13

    Bobby lost the dressing room…Souness came in to break heads.

    We should knock the FA cup on the head as well just focus on the premiership.

    0
  • MacToon

    Sep 23, 2009 at 1:01 PM

    Comment #14

    If we’d had a decent sized squad with a bit more depth maybe it would have been different but it’s probably better that we’re out of this cup.

    Maybe just maybe we might have a few more players in by the time we play in the FA Cup and have a squad that cannot only get us into the premiership but play a stronger side in cup matches.

    I’m relieved, looking at this team/squad at the minute, that we don’t have to play the likes of Man U, Chel$ki etc. and worry about promotion if we get it and still have this numbty as an owner.

    0
  • Bigbadbob

    Sep 23, 2009 at 1:51 PM

    Comment #15

    One thing we now all agree on after last nights pathetic display is the squad hasnt got the quality or depth to cope with more than one competition a season, so what will the club do if they get promoted?
    Other clubs play their reserve players as they need the first teamers for European games, we protect them for Ipswich away.
    If these buffoons stay in charge any longer, the wheels will come off spectacularly because they wiil listen to no one except the man who brings cash to the table.

    0
  • jarny69

    Sep 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

    Comment #16

    Sorry but on a seperate subject. Does anyone think we could get Sol Campbell now he’s left Notts County???

    0
  • G

    Sep 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM

    Comment #17

    @jarny69, loads of opinion on the next thread mate.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.