Keegan Forces Newcastle Into Administration – Don’t Be Daft!

There are reports, which we have to hope are false, that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley could be forced to put the club into administration if former manager Kevin Keegan wins a massive compensation pay-out potentially due to be announced tomorrow.

kevin-keegan-3282

Kevin Keegan – judgement could hurt Newcastle finances

The tribunal looking into the case is due to announce their decision before the end of the week, and if it is in Kevin’s favor, and they award him the full figure he’s claiming, close to £10M, we wonder how Newcastle can pay that.

The judgement against Newcastle would have major financial implications for the cash-strapped club, with administration now being reported as a possibility.

But surely this is just stupid paper talk, with the gossip press just hoping for something sensational like this to happen,  to help sell their papers.

If Newcastle go into administration, the club would lose 10 Coca-Cola Championship points, a penalty which would undermine the  efforts to get back into the Premier League at the first attempt.

Why wouldn’t Ashley use some of the £25M overdraft from Barclays Bank he has just secured,  to start paying Kevin, and try to get a deal over a few years to lessen the immediate financial impact to the club?

While we are less than pleased that Kevin seems to be going for the jugular in his case, and would not settle for a lesser amount, but he would surely agree to easy terms to help out the club.

It is just over a year since Keegan left St James’ Park for the second time as manager, after a furious bust-up over the club’s transfer policy with Ashley and Wise.

It seems that Kevin will win his case, and that indeed will show Ashley and Wise were bringing in players behind the manager’s back – which is both stupid and disgraceful – and something they said they wouldn’t do.

While the payout to Kevin, if large, would be a blow to the club’s financial position,  Newcastle  should nevertheless be able to handle it without going into administration, which just seems a preposterous notion to us.

But on the other hand,  it certainly doesn’t help when the club is being made financially viable,  to sell to Barry Moat.

We have to hope the sale will not be negatively impacted by all of this.

What a soap opera this has been over the last 12 months – it’s even better than Coronation Steeet.

• Nick D

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:00 PM

If KK has refused 4M, he must have a very good case, but 10M for doing nothing for 3 years is out of order.
    Gullitt had the decency to leave without a cent.

• simon376@work

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I don’t think for one second we will go into admin through this, Ashley still has to have enough money to keep us afloat. What we brought in for Bassong should be near enough the same amount.

But lets not blame Keegan. He was offered a contract for a certain amount of money. If he wins the case, he has been proved right. I agree footballers and managers get paid silly money, but thats what he signed up for. If Ashley has offerd a lower amount for out of court, shows he knows he is wrong.

• Stuart79

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Cannot see it to be honest.

I would imagine that if KK wins that it would effect the purchase for the club though.

• lesh

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:05 PM

The sad thing about this is that KK’s gripe is really with the perpetratrators of the debacle (MA et al) but the reality is, he’s hitting the club he supposedly loves!

If he did win his case, it’d be a helluva gesture if he donated the lot to the Booby Robson cancer fund. At least then we could see any money he’s awarded going to a worthwhile cause.

It’s just a pity that he wasn’t suing the individuals rather than the coprorate, NUFC.

• lesh

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM

* Whoops, the Bobby Robson…..

I must learn to spell, I must learn to spell, I must learn to…..

• UTD111

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM

NickD – the £4M thing was a press report alleging “a source close to the club” – in other words it was either made up, or it was Ashley’s cronies up to mischief trying to make out Sir Kevin was greedy.
    This story is also likely to be utter tosh – if the FCB was going to go the administration route, he would have done so before now…..

• UTD111

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Lesh – there’s no difference between “the club” and Ashley’s fat wallet. Ashley owns “the club” so it’s all his money.

• estechco

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM

There have been a few stories over the summer that have had a similar feel to this.

Basically MA gets his PR team (yeah I know it sounds laughable, but I suspect there is one somewhere), to feed the press a story that says “If X happens the club will go into administration”.

The idea being to panic fans so much that they hate the reasons behind “X” and support the great job that MA is doing in preventing this from happening.

Does he really believe we are all that stoopid?

• estechco

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM

lesh: I totally agree!

I have thought for some time that we shouldn’t second guess what KK intends to do with whatever money he does win. Too many people seem keen to slate him over his claim. I wonder how they will think if he does make some gesture like this or to invest in Wallsend Boys Club for instance.

KK is no mug and whilst I wouldn’t expect him to give everything away, I do believe he knows right from wrong and isn’t just doing this out of total greed.

If I’m wrong and he keeps the lot I’ll happily hold my hands up

• Jonas18

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:14 PM

LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES

the journo’s are just trying to cause more trouble and uncertainty at the club now that we are doing well.

The club is in NO DANGER of Adminsistration.

How they are allowed to get away with printing lie after lie after lie is beyond me.

I wish Keegan would just come back and get hims money by being our manager again. Would he agree to something like that, I hope so!

He’s a hell of a lot better than a novice like Alan Shearer.

• sahota

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Other than takeover story I also want this Keegan saga to come to an end, whichever way it ends.
    I wold love to see Keegan not getting £9 mil . Whatever Ashley has done, I don’t want NUFC to pay Keegan £9 mil. I don’t know who is right or wrong, nobody knows.

• Jonas18

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM

OH GUTIERREZ……BUENOS AIRES….

anyone know when he gets back from injury? We’ve missed him badly. He does SO MUCH for the team, starts SO MANY of our attacks it’s ridiculous.

• sahota

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I respect Capello more than Keegan unless Keegan also donates to Sir Bobby’s Foundation. These newspapers editors should be slapped on their AR5e and then kicked hard. We also have suffered a lot from them. All these bloody rumors are started by them.

• lacedaemonian

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Keegan only took the job because he was having huge financial problems with his company, Soccer Circus. He may have been right to walk away, but I am never comfortable with people being sacked or walking and still being entitled to millions. It is a different industry from any other.

I am on the sick now and am in receipt of £80 a week.

• micka

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I don’t think KK is a greedy man, but his Soccer Circus is dying on its arse and needs money. Thats where his £9m will end up

• Mags

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Scaremongering/ scandalmongering of the highest order – that’s my unqualified view on this.

Another anonymous source in which to beat the ‘Newcastle stick’. Shame on them.

• Stuart79

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I’m still laughin at the Ashley’s PR comment…

• Davies

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Greed greed greed. The principle would still be proven if Keegan had accepted £4m. You don’t give somebody a £4m pay out if you’re in the right, do you?

Holding out for the full whack is greedy, nothing more. A club he loves, HA! My hairy ars3.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM

KK-Kerching!!

Deserves every penny…Go KK wipe the Floor with the Fat Numpty : )

Love it-Love it !!

• doofa the loofa

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM

you can never beat the green cross man. well done kk. they took you for a mug and that just aint right. whip that cockney fat arse some more, all this is cheering me up no end. theres only one king kev…….

@ lacedaemonian. stop complaining m8. if your sick in africa u die.

• MacToon

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Strange how some people here seem to know so much about what’s happened. For those that don’t understand sarcasm when they see it, I am being sarcastic.

Wait for the judgement and then decide and don’t think for one minute that the club (our owner) cannot pay the compo and will put the club into administration. Gossip and rumors only but I bet I can guess where they started.

One spin of the roulette wheel……

• lacedaemonian

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I still think this is what is holding up the sale. 10 million would buy us four new players. Under new ownership of course.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I just want to see Ashley in Pain…and we know the only place he hurts is in his wallet 🙂

KK from where I am sitting deserves payment..Ashley did not back him and now he has to cough up.

🙂

• Trent Toon

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM

The best resolution

Moat buys the club, reinstates keegan (resumes contract) and gets on with the job. Im sure keegan would do that, 3 years work sounds alot less that 10 million quid!

• Michael12

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I do not give a flying rats behind if Ashley and Wise lied to Keegan while taking turns to court his wife, the fact is if Keegan wins the club suffer as a result. I want the club to win the case and in fact win the counter sue against Keegan.

I always consider the club is bigger than any one man. Even if Keegan is right, I would welcome a miscarriage of justice if it meant Newcastle are better placed.

• cupiddstunt

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I don’t know what everybody is getting so worked up about in respect of KK’s money, it’s all relative. A mill, a grand, a ton a quid it’s all the same and it’s all relative to the person in question.

lacedaemonian you are on the sick and in receipt of £80 a wk. well that is according to your job and contract your worth.

KK had a contract that put his worth at X amount for Y period of time and that is what he is suing for no more no less.

Where is the problem???

• bowburnmag

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Michael12 – I’ve disagreed with you on a few things and hopefully you never take offence but I don’t like those principles at all.

Of course it’s a dicey financial situation still and if the future of the club is at serious risk (and by that I mean it could fold) then you could seriously consider not supporting the ‘right’ thing to do.

But when it would take ‘x’ amount (and by ‘x’ I simply mean a manageable and as yet completely undisclosed award) to compensate Keegan, then it’s a price worth paying for me. Particularly as it would be a wake-up call for football and a kick up the ar*e for the billionaire owners who appear to have scant regard for the integrity of the fans attached to their playthings.

• Stuart79

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Michael12 // Sep 24, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Views like that reveal a awful lot about a man

• Mags

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Michael 12 – some of your comments are totally distasteful and completely uncalled for. Have a scrap of dignity man.

• Michael12

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Bowburnmag + Stuart79: I always revealed I am a pragmatist.

Let us consider a very close family member of yours committed crime and you know it to fact.

During the course of the trial would you:
    a) Abandon him/her
    b) Support them through the trial.

When Jury return with the verdict would you not hope despite the fact you know they committed the crime that some how some way they may find him innocent?

On the other hand if it was someone you did not know but you knew he committed the crime, you would hope the full extent of the law be applied in his/her case.

I have always accepted that a if a small evil need be committed in order to bring about a greater good then I can countenance the small evil. It is why I always say that no individual is bigger than the club.

KK or even me are lilliputian in comparison to the club, its fans/employees for which there will be many generations to come who will their emotions, careers as we have and those that have done so in the past.

If we were to put it on a scale KK in one hand and all the above I have mentioned and those to come, I think we can see that for the good of the majority a miscarriage of justice will be an acceptable evil, indeed it could then be questioned if it were an evil.

• danuneek

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Lets get this straight. KK is taking money off our club, not Ashley. This for a man that apparently worships Newcastle and the fans. I dont like Ashley as much as the next man, but I dont care how KK was treated, it doesn’t justify robbing the club of £10m when we’re struggling as it is. I loved the KK era and was all for him the second time, but unfortunately he’s gone down in my estimation and I feel its a sign of his true character. I’ll ask you one question, can you imagine Bobby doing this in the same curcumstance?

One thing is for sure though, we wouldn’t go into administration. Thats just paper b****cks.

• Michael12

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:49 PM

@danuneek: If KK was in the right and you knew this to be fact but there was a miscarriage of justice in Newcastle united ‘s favor and KK did not get the £10 million, would you accept the miscarriage of justice or would you call for justice even at the expense of Newcastle?

• bowburnmag

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Michael12 – both.

Do the crime, do the time.

If KK is guilty he loses his rep and probably some cash.

If Ashley loses, we lose an amount of cash but ultimately the supporters gain, KK gains and football gains, though for very different reasons.

• dave 1961

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:02 PM

if one of my kids committed a crime i would make them go to the police & admit it, i would then compensate the victim, & stop my sons pocket money until it was paid back. the rights & wrongs in this case will be decided by neutrals on the law, when we ignore the law, society breaks down, if you want the law of the jungle people like me would take all you have, its that simple, now how do you want it, aren’t you now glad i respect the law.

• Solaidback

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Let me get this straight, Keagan walked out of his contract due to Ashley & Wise bringing in players he didn’t want at the club & this happened when, the end of January yeah??

So why did Keagan wait until we were relegated before bringing this action against Ashley/NUFC??

Why didn’t he do it straight away while we were still in the EPL & had enoughg money to cover any compensation payout that might be given??

No mistaking that its the CLUB that will pay the compensation & not Ashley, yes he owns the club but there’s not way he’ll pay any compensation out of his own pocket, he’ll take it out of any money the club has in it’s accounts!!! meaning that we’ll be no better off & probably worse off than we should be!!!

Another question for those in the know… doesn’t the club have insurance against this sort of thing?? or doesn’t that sort of stuff actually exsist, insurance against exiting managers.. lol

• Michael12

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I maintain, so long as it brings about a greater good I will countenance the means.

You may question my integrity but certainly not my loyalty while you bowburnmag + dave 1961 have unquestionable integrity. Regrettably I cannot say the same about your loyalties.

• bowburnmag

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Michael12 – put it this way, if my wife was going to prison for good reason, I wouldn’t want or let her anywhere near my home or my family but I would support her until she was proven guilty and would hope she could be rehabilitated (depending on the crime).

If she was innocent, then it would proven in the long run.

Point of order though, we’re talking about a football club. Despite the cliches, it’s only a game. There’s no equivalence in the scenarios.

• ObaMartins

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:48 PM

More Scare mongering does it ever Stop ? lets face it quite a few on here claimed Keegan had walked and was NOT pushed, seem’s the same people are claiming Keegan is Now Greedy as it looks odds on him winning his case for being PUSHED out of his job…..PS, whats happened to the money for Milner, Given,Nzogbia,Martins,Bassong,Beye,Duff ???

• dave 1961

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM

i have supported Newcastle for over 35 years, i attended Newcastle lowest post ww2 crowd against Wrexham, that was abandoned crowd 4,000 i can also tell you that David bowie was at joker park that day, then the replay, with just about the same crowd although it was put at 7,000. i went to every game that season, i used to go to most games home & away, the only reason i am not at the moment is i have a medical condition that keeps me away, hopefully not permanently. am i loyal or not make your own minds up.

• Michael12

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Fair argument Bowburnmag, I concede.