Harewood – Newcastle One Of The Biggest Clubs There Is

Marlon Harewood was today given the Newcastle United number 10 shirt, which was not made famous by Michael Owen, whose time on Tyneside  was a complete disaster, let’s face it.

marlon harewood 123

Harewood – keen to play at a packed St. James’ Park

The 6’1″ powerful striker signed on a three-month loan deal with the Magpies from Aston Villa.

He started just one game with Villa in a full two years after being confined to the bench and making 28 sub appearances,, but he will get game on Tyneside, for sure.

The Londoner seemed genuinely excited at signing for the famous Newcastle club, and he told the Evening  Chronicle today:

“I can’t wait to get my career back on track.”“I’m delighted to sign for a club like Newcastle United.”

“I’m fit and raring to go and really believe I am at one of the biggest clubs there is.”

“This for me is a great challenge.” “And now I just want to play my part.”

“I want to help the team and make sure we maintain the good start.”

Harewood  takes Michael Owen’s old number 10 and will go straight into the squad for the televised game at Ipswich Town tomorrow night.

The new signing seems dying to make his debut for Newcastle, as he added:

“I just can’t wait for my debut.” “Whether it comes at Ipswich or in front of what I hope will be a packed house at St James’ Park.”

“That is one of the greatest things about signing here.” “The potential to play in front of 52,000 fans is a very special one.”

“And making my debut is just something that I can’t wait to happen.”

Good words from the big man, but we never really rated Marlon in the Premiership.

However we will be more than happy if he can start banging those goals in on Tyneside.

And if he can do that, he will very soon be a big favorite on Tyneside – and he knows it

• sahota

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM

So please can you score atleast 10 goals for us before JAN.

• sahota

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM

But WHERE IS EVERYONE ????
    Are you at court where decision of Keegan’s case will be made ??? 🙂

• Geordie Dogs

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM

• johnny67

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:18 PM

found this vid of his goals 4 west ham…at least he knows the where the back of the net is…looks a big strong lad…could do well for us, as we need a proven goalscorer with shola still out, nd carroll pickin up nigglin injuries

• Jonas18

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:21 PM

hate to judge a book by its cover…….but Harewood doesn’t look like the brightest or most intelligent player.

From what I saw of him over the years, it’s just his running around at full pelt and siezing on mistakes at the back that got him most of his goals. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t like him!

Of course I’ll give him a fair crack of the whip before completely deciding on him.

• Jamesthefirst

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Prove to us that we are all wrong about you Marlon

• premier

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Only club big enough to have so many messiahs

• Filthy Malcolm

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Someone needs to tell Marion that we do not get 52,000 fans every week anymore.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Malcolm let’s hope our crowds are a bit bigger than the crowd at wolves in the picture above-sell out 🙂

• sirjasontoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Might be a bit premature but on paper and with a few games under his belt I think he could be our best striker.

Ranger-Young and Still learning
    Carrol as Above has Potential
    Lovenkrands-Not seen enough of him
    Shola-Looked OK recently has had a few injuries and another one recently.

I think compared to what we have he could prove to be a great acquisition…fingers crossed.

• jordi

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM

His form in the Prem was about 1 in 4. Hoping that translates into 1 in 2 or 3 in the CCC which wouldn’t be a bad return at all really.

He’s not World Class but I think he’ll be handy to have in this division if only for his experience, that and the fact he offers something different than our other forwards.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I haven’t seen him play much and when it was usually as a sub on MOTD-Got to be betther than most of our current strikers.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM

~Better

• Jay jay

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I think harewood will do well at this level and he has come in search of football not just the money like so many players we’ve had over the years. And didnt he do well for west ham when in the championship, i think he might have been top scorer.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM

He always seemed to find the net as a sub when I seen him on the telly…might be a good signing for both parties and the championship will probably bring back his confidence as well.

• lesh

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Geordie Dogs // Sep 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else mention this so I might be wrong. But did Harewood not knack Given when he was playing for West Ham?

He did and the Chron have referred to the event today

• Geordie Dogs

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:59 PM

@ Lesh

i thought so. I can remenber him being a proper clumsy oaf. Is so it turns out that we have really found a true replacement for Strolla

• Matt

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I still don’t see how you can call Owens time here a complete disaster. Admittedly he had problems with injuries. His goal scoring record was excellent despite all the ridiculous stick being given to him for not being fit. He did everything he could to get fit and play well. He scored goals when he was.

I doubt Marlon Harewood is going to be better than Owen. Let’s be sensible.

Why we’ve signed a 6’1″ powerful striker just leads me to believe Hughton knows even less about football than I thought. We need a very pacey over the top striker because that is what we lack up front. We’ve got two very capable young traditional CFs so why sign what is essentialy a veteran CF?

• Graeme

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM

We have a very pacy striker – he’s called Nile Ranger and goes like sh1t off a shiny shovel!!

Have a look at some of the goals he scored in the reserves – was crackin them in for fun!!!

• sirjasontoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Graeme”Have a look at some of the goals he scored in the reserves”

I think there is a big difference at reserve level to 1st team football….what I was trying to imply is right now Harewood looks a good signing and a fit Harewood would get into my side before any Strikers I mentioned in the list.

Shiny Shovels don’t necessarily score goals..and we have been down the avenue of pacey strikers before with Obafemi Martins and his end product was nothing special…but he could run quite fast. 🙂

• Shanghaitoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Are we fickle and picky or what??! We need bodies in the team. We’re way too thin on the ground and Harewood comes with Prem and CCC experience. Give the guy a chance before you shoot him dowm in flames!!!

• Graeme

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:34 PM

SJT, I agree. But Ranger is in the fizzy pop and I think he will do very well, once he breaks his duck.

Oba only had his pace going for him though. No real end product; first touch like a rapist, 2nd touch like a drunk. He should and could have been a hell of a lot better imho.

Ranger is a much younger player and has huge potential – he’s also about a foot taller than Oba and strong as well. I think this kid will go places, if he’s nurtured and brought on properly.

• harry861

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Give the lad Harewood a chance time alone will prove good signing or not. He can’t be any worse than Shola scoring goals. How many years has Shola been here & how many goals has he scored & forever injured.
    I would have Carroll & Ranger before Shola

• Charlietoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

If he does score 10 goals before Jan I doubt Aston illa will want him to stay so lets say 7 goals…but all of them match winners 🙂

• Charlietoon

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

He does look a little like homer simpson