Kieron Dyer So Sad To Have Let Bobby Robson Down

Kieron Dyer, the former Newcastle player was unable to attend Bobby Robson’s memorial service at Durham Cathedral last week, due to Carling Cup commitments with West Ham United.

Kieron Dyer PA_468x673

Kieron Dyer – while at Newcastle

Kieron is often the player who was thought responsible for undermining Robson’s job at Newcastle, because of the way he went on before the Middlesbrough game in August of 2004. We drew that first Premier League game 2-2 on August 14th, 2004.

Stories that Dyer had refused to play for Robson on the wing, were vehemently denied by Bobby, but Kieron has admitted Bobby did that to protect him.

The 30-year-old winger was very open as he told the Daily Telegraph today:

“I was in China on a pre-season tour with West Ham when Warren Barton broke the news to me that Sir Bobby had died.” “We were at a stadium for a friendly and they organised a minute’s silence for him.”

“I broke down during that silence because I couldn’t stop thinking about that Middlesbrough game.” “I couldn’t stop thinking about what I cost him. If there was one thing I could go back to and erase in my life, it would be that. Just to have played that game.”

“What was so horrible about Middlesbrough was that he got sacked a couple of games after. I took that on my shoulders.” “He understood my reasons and there’s a lot more to that story. I’m protecting a friend of mine so I can’t tell it all.”

“But I still should have started the game where he wanted me to start. I can’t believe now that I acted the way I did.” “Afterwards, the press got stuck into me for letting Sir Bobby down. But he would not hang me out to dry.”

“Instead, he came straight out of his press conference and said to me ‘they’ve got a story brewing but I’ve just told them you didn’t play because of your tight hamstring’. I was thinking ‘I’ve just let you down and here you are still protecting me’. It was unbelievable.”

“Soon after that, we had Norwich at St James’s Park in a night game. I started. I had 52,000 people booing me every time I touched the ball because of what I’d done to the manager.”

“The gaffer put me out of my misery after 60 minutes and I ran straight down the tunnel and jumped in the bath. Sir Bobby came into the bathroom after all the lads had gone.”

“He sat down and he was upset because he thought he had let me down because of all the stick I was getting and he couldn’t protect me.”

In August, Newcastle drew two and lost two in their first 4 league games, and after the Aston Villa defeat (4-2) on September 28th, Bobby was very surprisingly sacked by then Chairman Freddy Shepherd, and his cohort Douglas Hall.

In September, Newcastle won all their 5 games, but Bobby was gone!

It says something of Dyer’s maturity that he is able now to admit he was wrong at that time. But Kieron was young at the time, and we all do some daft things when we are young.

But it also demonstrates clearly why players would run through a brick wall for Bobby – what a guy – what a manager!

• G

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Nice of him to admit it, however, it still leaves a bitter taste to think of it. He did let Bobby down, he let down the fans, he let down the manager. I was glad to see the back of him.

• Johno Toon

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM

That pieces just shows just how great Sir Bobby Robson was, wont say anything else about what happened as I dont think anything needs to be said , just shows Sir Bobbys class doesnt it?

• G

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Absolutely Johno, the last gentleman in football. Modern managers could learn a lot from SBR’s example.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Typical of today’s bling bling footballers at least he’s had the guts to admit that he let SBR down badly & as you say Ed what a manager & what a man SBR was gone but not forgotten & I really doubt we will ever see his like again. Great Player, Great Manager but above all a fantastic man

• Thump

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Johno hit the nail on the head imo

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Boooooo Hooooooo
    Never Forgiven Dyer…glad to see you have had such a glittering Career after you left the toon…shame on you Tool.

Any news on Keegan?
    I smell a big payout that’s why it is taking so long.

• danuneek

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

OH man, poor Bobby. I still feel for him been sacked. And there were a hell of a lot of Newcastle supporters wanting him sacked too.

• bro56

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM

hes a horrible little shoite, shame he didnt realise what a great club he was playing for and a great manager he was working with. some people never learn respect.. blame the parents.. 🙂

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I heard Shearer gave Dyer a few slaps in his time as well…think there’s a few people that dislike him.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:57 PM

No disrespect to Bobby…he had lost the dressing room..it was full of jumped up arrogant little pricks that didn’t give two stuffs about NUFC.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Football Facebook- 🙂

Bobby Zamora rejected Phil Brown’s friend request
    Fraizer Campbell rejected Phil Brown’s friend request
    Marc-Antoine Fortune rejected Phil Brown’s friend request
    Michael Owen rejected Phil Brown’s friend request
    ———————————————————————

Arsene Wenger is not worried about his lack of transfers this summer as he has internal solutions 1 hour ago

Alexander Song Billong likes this
    Visakri Diaby likes this
    Denilson likes this
    —————————————————————————-

Joleon Lescott has to go to work tomorrow : ( 13 minutes ago

Craig Bellamy has joined the group Money is ruining football

– Benjani likes this
    ————————————————————————-

Alberto Aquilani: Oh no! I’ve just had my new house robbed!!!
    Steven Gerrard, Jerzy Dudek, John-Arne Riise, Lucas Leiva, Dirk Kuyt, Peter Crouch, Jose Reina and Daniel Agger like this
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Sat’day random drinks n’ antics LOLZ

Ledley King has been tagged
    —————————————

Ashley C can’t find his fone, can some1 give it a buzz for us?
    ———————————————————————–

Roque Santa Cruz is looking forward to starting on Saturday

Craig Bellamy is looking forward to starting on Saturday

Carlos Tevez is looking forward to starting on Saturday

Emmanuel Adebayor is looking forward to starting on Saturday

Robinho is looking forward to starting on Saturday

Benjani is looking forward to starting on Saturday
    ———————————————————————-

Steven Gerrard hopes his ‘groin’ injury clears in time for Sunday lolz
    Yesterday at 20:03 · Comment · Like

Ben Foster Ditto lolz
    ——————————————

Joleon Lescott became a fan of money.

Gareth Barry likes this
    ——————————-

Marcus Bent is hoping to start at Old Trafford – 1 hour ago
    Sir Alex Ferguson Likes This.
    ——————————————————————–

Andy Goram became friends with Andy Goram
    ——————————————————-

Jamie Redknapp is literally on facebook
    ————————————————–

Frank Lampard is LOLing at Stevie G – 3 hours ago 3 comments

-Steven Gerrard f**k off Lamps lol

-Rio Ferdinand oi oi epic banter lads

-Steven Gerrard did he dedicate the banter to his Mum lol
    ——————————————————————–

Mike Ashley My evil plan is almost complete.
    Niall Quinn & Peter Reid like this.
    ————————————-

Glen Johnson is looking at new toilet seats in B&Q
    ————————————————————

Tomas Rosisky is fit and loving life! can’t wait for the new season 1 week ago

Tomas Rosisky is depressed
    3 days ago
    ———————————————

Samir Nasri is watching Top Gear on Dave. Cheers Abou
    ——————————————————————————–

David Moyes is skint

Mark Hughes likes this
    ———————————

Didier Drogba poked Jens Lehmann 3 years ago

Jens Lehmann went down holding his face

• derekm

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:06 PM

dyer and even more so jenas were wrapped in cotton wool by SBR – although for me he represents the bad side of player power , personally I think dyer could have been an absolute world beater if injuries and his own head had’nt got in the way. As a lot of these players get older and realise what they did to decent coaches there will be a few ( only a few ) who look back and know they’ve screwed up.

• lesh

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Sirjason…. the time it’s taking for the Keegan tribunal to deliver their verdict is based on the reality that they’d listened to 14 days of evidence and cannot be expected to consider it and form a legal opinion in a matter of hours.

The time will not be used estimating the level of damages, if any, that Keegan’s awarded.

Have a little patience – the longer the debate, the better informed the decision.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Loud and clear Lesh Legal Inc.
    14 Days wow Keegan must have a truck load of emailed evidence printed off.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Bobby did protect his players and a few through it back in his face…I think around that time we had several players that where paid a fortune,had really bad attitudes and just decided to do what the hell they liked….they had a big influence on Bobby’s departure.

• komfort

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM

he was another good player that was constantly in the treatment room…with regards to his spat with sir bobbby it was unforgivable , but then again i suppose we all make mistakes…

…unless of course your name starts with s and ends t with tardus in the middle..

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Jonas has just said he will be wearing his spiderman mask if he scores…still keeping it down his kegs I bet it’s matted by now 🙂

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Be cool if he scored regular then it would probably catch on 45,000 spiderman masks watching the toon would be mental haha

• lesh

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM

SJT – 14 Days wow Keegan must have a truck load of emailed evidence printed off –

You can bet your boots that each side’s had an army of barristers, juniors, solicitors etc etc to feed!

The legals don’t come cheap coz they’ve got the bairns to feed!

• lesh

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Ooh Komfort, you cat!

• komfort

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

sjt , his mask went down his kegs after spiderman 1….we’re upto 5 now and there’s still nee sign of it !…

….it must be abraham lincoln.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Yeah I can imagine both sides went in well armed and organised for the case…I still think KK will win his payout from Ashley…I think it will also make people despise Ashley even more knowing that it has been proven without a doubt he was stupid enough to undermine Kevin.

If it does happen Ashley will undoubtedly make us all suffer for his stupidity….but after having these idiots in charge for so long our skins our thicker now.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Haha I wonder if it is washed after avery game?
    Probably fall to bits when he puts it on his heed.

• lacedaemonian

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:42 PM

SJT – likes this

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

lacedaemonian – Loves It Loves It!

• Chris G

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM

sjt – no, I don’t think spiderman does wash it after every game

I checked it out on the web 😉

• lesh

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Sjt, Chris G…. can you clarify just what;s washed or not washed? The mask or…… ?

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Haha “On the Web” 🙂

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Yeah the Mask Lesh 🙂

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:19 PM

OMG NO WAY !!
    Makes my day that does….I love next generation Smileys they are just so cool.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Plop.

• dave 1961

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM

we have all done something for which we regret later, i reported a makum’s wife (to the dhss for fiddling) after he had run me over in his car, i have one lasting regret, that i did not go around to his house and demolish it. so see none of us are perfect are we.

• chuck

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Yeah in retrospect it`s sad and Jenas has to live with it, punishment enough.
    He plucked both Jenas and Dyer from obscurity and made them into International players, too bad he could`nt entice Bent to join, would have been a good replacement for Shearer.
    I could`nt believe it at the time, when we are led to believe (by Freddy) the Halls sacked him for losing the dressing room.
    That was the beginning of the downward slide, that resulted in our recent relegation.
    Hopefully , but unlikely that our present owner could learn something from that recent history
    and not keep repeating the same old mistakes.

• chuck

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Woops ,sorry got the names crossed, Jenas for Dyer.

• JoeColl87

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Anybody know anything more about who/what needs protecting etc?