Magpies Promoted – Argentina In World Cup – Gutierrez Dream

With last night’s results nearly all going for Newcastle, and the Magpies still top of the league makes tonight’s encounter with QPR, even more significant.

jonas-gutierrez-90

Jonas Gutierrez – fit again and raring to go!

A win can take the Magpies 5 points clear at the top and it also looks like we’ll have Argentine star winger Jonas Gutierrez back in the side.

On the negative side his team-mate Fabricio Coloccini will miss his first league game of the season with injury.

The 27-year-old Jonas has been out almost a month with a hamstring injury,  but is expected to play at St. James’ Park against QPR, and Bristol City on Saturday.

After those two wins (we hope), he will go off and meet up with his national team-mates on Sunday, and try to help Argentina qualify for the World Cup in South Africa:.

“They are both so big for me. I have to say they are so important to me. Therefore they are at the same level, I want them both so badly,”

“Of course, to get back in the Premier League is the most important thing throughout the season but to play in the national team at a World Cup has been my dream throughout my life. How can I say one is more important? It is very important that I achieve both.”

“The World Cup dream has always been with me. Next summer I want to be looking forward to the World Cup and Newcastle games against Manchester United and Liverpool again.”

“That is perfect. If Argentina do not qualify for the World Cup, I would have to take my bags and move to another country because we could not play again at home.”

“It is a very big period for me. At this moment, I am only thinking of my next games for Newcastle but after Saturday, I will then focus on Argentina. We have Peru first at home and then travel to Uruguay away.”

“We need six points to qualify and four will probably put us in the play-offs. It is going to be hard, but I think we have incredible players and I am very confident that if we play well, we will do enough.”

The former Real  Mallorca player may be confident that Argentina will qualify for the World Cup, but he knows, from bitter personal experience, that no team is too big to fail.

Jonas of course went through last season at Newcastle, as the famous club, with a £74M a year wage bill, still went down – shamefully.

What we have learned from last season is that if you have big stars on big wages, who are not prepared to fight for the team, they are only half the players they should be – and we had too many of those types on the books last year.

The good thing is that most of them are now at other teams, and the Newcastle fans are now getting a taste of the players still at the club who are bringing some success back to Tyneside.

What we love to see is the determination and desire the team is showing this season – long may it continue.

• G

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Lets hope his prediction comes true. Can’t see Argentina reaching the WC now like. Even if they sack Diego ‘Coke Whore’ Marradonna there is too much damage done already.

• lesh

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:19 AM

He must be due to make his mark with a goal and dust down the Spider Man mask!

• sahota

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Com’on spiderman get your mask out tonight.

I really wish that he can achieve both.

• nobby sol

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM

team id play

———————harper
    khizanishvilli simpson taylor enrique
    ——-guthrie smith nolan gutierezz
    —————ranger carroll

• Toon_Army

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM

They are only one point out of qualification and the team in 4th Equador have to play Chile 3rd and Uruguay 6th… Not easy games, I think they will lose one for sure…

Argentina will play Peru the bottom side and Uruguay who they should beat, that should see them secure the 4th spot…

Failing that they will almost certainly finish 5th which will mean they will have a play-off with one of the 4th placed teams from another region…

I think they will be fine, won’t be the same if they are not at the World Cup and do something controversial…

• Kevin Nichol

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM

He simply has to play tonight if fit…..along with harper, smith, taylor & jose he is an automatic choice for me!

Brings something to the team that no one else in the squad has; the ability to run past players and get in behind teams!

Unfortunately he has retired his spiderman celebration (or so he has said in an interview as it supposedly will mean a booking)….

Harper

Simpson – Zurab – S.Taylor – Jose

Guthrie – Smith – Nolan – Guttierez

Carroll – Harewood

This is the team i’d pick this evening. Let harewwod off the leash; he looked a very powerful lad when he came on against ipswich. we need to manage ranger; bring him on for the final 30mins.

For me butt is the weaker link in our midfield. Unfortunately i feel that butt will play tonight.

• G

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I thought there were only 3 qualifiers from South America this time? My bad.

• Kevin Nichol

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM

nobby sol….why would you play simpson centre back and zurab right back? Simpson is a right back and zurab is a centre back who can operate at right back; his specialist position is in the middle m8!

• G

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I would go along with that side KN. You could be right about Butt tho. If it were me picking the squad, I would go along with that, keep Ranger on the bench and bring him on the last 15-20 mins when the tired legs have no chance of catching him.

• Jonas18

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM

OH GUTIERREZ, BUENOS AIRES…..

watch the video in the link, Jonas truly is one of our best players. Watch the video and see EVERYTHING Jonas does for the team. It’s amazing how many attacks he starts, how many times he wins the ball back coming back to defend, how many he times he just runs past players with ease using skill and pace, amazing just how much he creates, his pure work ethic. THE GUY IS AN AMAZING PLAYER!

Now that it is his second season in English football, he will have adapted and we will see the best of him from this season and onwards.

• Uchiha_Itachi

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I’d rather see Harewood start over Carrol tonight, in the short time he was on against Ipswich he looked a very serious threat. Ranger has been the better performer for me all season, puts himself about more, holds the ball up well and hasn’t really had much time as part of a two man attack. I feel he is more of a general threat than Carrol despite not scoring yet and i expect his first in the black and white will come shortly.

Agree with an earlier comment about Butt, he shouldn’t but i feel he is likely to start tonight, its seems as though the team should essentially make itself, given the injury to r.taylor and colo, the former in particular being a big blow.

Harper