Ranger, Carroll and Harewood Unleashed Tonight

Chris Hughton will need to decide who start alongside Andy Carroll up front tonight.

marlon harewood

Marlon Harewood – will he get start tonight?

Either 18 year-old Nile Ranger, or new loan signing 30 year-old Marlon Harewood, who has not played much at all for Aston Villa, and has just made one start for Villa since signing back in 2007, will start the game tonight.

Marlon came on as a 65th-minute sub at Ipswich, and looked lively, and keen to get a goal for his new club.

And of course Peter Lovenkrands is also available, so right now we have some good competition for places in the team.

Chris Hughton has been very pleased with what he’s seen from Marlon since he arrived last week, and Chris told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I’ve been delighted with him.” “We were fortunate, with the way the game went, to be able to bring him on at the time we did. It’s important that he gets minutes on the pitch.

“We’ve brought him here to play games, but we’re fortunate at the moment he’s coming into a squad that’s got a bit of competition.

“The reason why we brought him in is that he’s a little bit different to what we’ve already got, and I think he’s already shown on Saturday what a threat he can be.

“It’s a tough league and certainly, at times, we have to play a different way. We do have different options in the way we can approach games, and fortunately, we’ve got a few players who can play in two or three positions.

“He gives us a fair amount of scope.”

We would like to see young Nile Ranger start tonight, based on his very good all around performance on Saturday night.

Hughton continued:

“With Nile, the most important thing for him is that he’s playing well for the team.”

“I think we’re all looking forward to him scoring his first goal, but if you go back to Saturday’s game at Ipswich, in some way he had a hand in three of the goals.”

“That’s probably more important – his contribution. “At the moment we can’t fault that.

“He’s a young lad, learning his trade, and it’s a wonderful feeling to have that all in front of you.”

It’s not a big deal to us who starts,  because all three will feature, and we just have to hope these lads are in form and bang in a few goals for the side.

The QPR defenders cannot be looking forward to playing against any of these three big lads tonight.

They are all powerful, physical players up front, and all three are good in the air too.

Howay The Lads!!

• sirjasontoon

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Harewood to Start please Chris…Ranger is not ready in my opinion.

• komfort

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:58 PM

start all 3 & get the job done by half time …….next.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Good idea….hope we attack tonight !

• sirjasontoon

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM

HAREWOOD!HAREWOOD!
    HAREWOOD!HAREWOOD!
    HAREWOOD!HAREWOOD!
    HAREWOOD!HAREWOOD!

• sirjasontoon

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM

HAREWOOD!HAREWOOD!

• nobby sol

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM

give harewood the second 45 minutes
    ranger has played very well in my opinion and deserves a start.

• magpie6699

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Harewood to start – no criticism of Ranger but this is a long season and games are coming thick and fast and we need to beware of burnout – especially with the younger players for whom the CC is a step up. Might switch it back on Saturday – or give Andy Carroll a rest on the bench and start with Harewood / Ranger.

• jimmymac

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Rotate amongst the 3, Carroll and Harewood tonight, then bring Ranger on and start him at the weekend. Maybe include Loven in there somewhere!

Hope we dont start with 3 up top that would be idiotic as we are playing well and scoring goals with 2, plus playing two occupies the back 4 enough to allow Nolan to get forward. If we played 3 up top it would restrict Nolan’s attacking play, and it would maybe a very unecessary risk!

• nobby sol

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM

just out of interest have we written off lovenkrands??? i know hes had shoddy form but before we signed him i read that people were thinking he was gunna get 20+ goals in this league. gotta give him a chance somewhere

• Uchiha_Itachi

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Harper

Simpson S.Taylor Khiz Enrique

Guthrie Smith Nolan Jonas

Ranger(Carroll) Harewood

• Uchiha_Itachi

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Mcloven just simply isnt match sharp yet….more sub appearances and he’ll be pushing for a first team slot in no time..

• magpie4ever

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:32 PM

And Jonas back too good stuff!!

I hear he will don the Spiderman mask if he scores…quoted as saying….

“When I do I will wear my Spiderman mask for the fans.
    “Even now they still ask me, ‘Will you wear the mask when you score?’.
    “I keep the mask in my shorts and I always think, ‘I hope today is the day I can wear it’.

Tell you what, it must stink now he’s had it down there for over a year!!

• dave 1961

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM

put the young legs on first and they will were out the qpr defense then bring Harewood on that’s the way to do it. and he should be hungry to.

• jimmymac

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM

my team would be:

—————-Harper——————

Simpson—Khis–Taylo–Enrique–

———-Smith—–Gutherie————

—–Nolan——————–Jonas—–

————Carroll—-Harewood——-

Depending on the score:
    – bring Carroll of at about 60 mins for Lovenkrands (only if we r winning)
    – Ranger on for Harewood about 70.
    – Butt on for Smith about 80 if we are in a comfortable enough position to do so!

This way we keep a fresh front line and Smith will be slightly sharper for the weekend, and we seem to need him on form.!!

Toon 3-1 with Harewood 1st GS!

• Toon_Factor

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:43 PM

______________Harper______________

Simpson____Khizan____S.Taylor___Enrique

Guthrie_____Smith_____Nolan_____Jonas

_________Harewood___Carroll_________

• Uchiha_Itachi

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I imagine he will actually be starting with this however…

Harper

Simpson S.Taylor Khiz Enrique

Smith

Mcloven Butt
    (Guthrie)
    Nolan

Carroll Harewood

I think he’ll get Guthrie (Mcloven), Jonas and Ranger on at some point to shake things up if needed.

• benscott123123

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM

QPR are an in form team beating cardiff away from home, only losing to chelsea 1-0 and thumping barnsley so they shouldn’t be taken lightly, having said that we should still get the win! I’m not sure about Jonas walking straight back into the team as without him our midfield has excelled even as our only recognised left sided player. My personal choice given injury updates.

Harper

Simpson Kizanishvilli Taylor Enrique

Lovenkrands Nolan Smith Guthrie

Carroll Ranger

Harewood and Jonas subbed on

• Toon_Fresh

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM

When did everyone fall in love with Harewood? If I remember correctly, everyone said he was terrible about a week ago. Now he should start over Ranger?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see him involved but Ranger has been contributing and did a nice job setting up Nolan’s second half goal.

• lacedaemonian

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Any TV coverage of this? I can’t get to the match tonight.

• Stuart79

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I’d play 1-4-5!

• benscott123123

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I agree im not overly confident with harewood up front just because he came on and ran passed a 5ft winger who poked a toe at him and hit a good strike. I think Ranger offers more, i’d like for harewood to score and for me to take that back though!

• batty

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM

stu is there sumit up with your adding up today m8 I’d play 1-4-5!
    = 10 we need 11 pluss see your agreeing with stardust agen get your self of to the doctors u must be ill

• G

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I would start with Harewood and Carroll and let the big lads bruise about the QPR defence. Unleash young Nile Ranger for the final 20mins of the game and watch them try to catch him. For the record Toon_Fresh, I still do not rate Harewood, but I will be happy to eat my words should he come good. The bottom line is, he is here now so most fans are simply doing what we should always do, and backing the team regardless of who / what they are.

• G

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

@batty 442 =10 451=10 433=10. A goalkeeper is a given, seeing as rush-keeper seems to be agains the rules in the real world (Dunno if thats true like?) Have you ever watched a football match?

• Toon_Fresh

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

lacedaemonian,
    I’m not seeing anything online for streaming. too much champions league going on today.

• OHurley

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

komfort @ #2-

Completely agree, m8. 4-3-3 all the way. We can SO pull of the 4-3-3. I would play this:

———————Harper———————

Simpson—–Taylor—Khiz—–Enrique

——–Guthrie—-Smith—-Nolan———-

——Harewood–Carroll–Ranger———-

• shrews mag

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM

………………Harper………………..
    Simpson . Kiza . Taylor . Enrique
    ……………….. Smith ………………..
    … Guthrie ………………… Jonas …
    ……………….. Nolan ………………..
    ………. Carroll …. Ranger ………..

Harewood (on for Caroll) and Lovenkrands (on for Jonas who will be knackered) on for the last 30 mins

………………..3 – 1 result…………………

• OHurley

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Shrews Mag-

LOVE the Diamond midfield formation. I actually play with that exact formation with my Newcastle team on FIFA09. I am the destroyer of worlds with that formation.

• Mag_Laad

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

_________Harper

Simpson_Taylor_Zurab_Enrique

Guthrie__Nolan__Smith__Jonas

______Ranger__Harewood

Tha’d be my team as Ranger played that bit better against Ipswich. I don’t care about age ,whoever plays best gets in the team.

• Stuart79

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Thanks for explaining that one to Batty G.

lol

• Toon_Factor

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM

lol daft cnut

• NUFC-0809-Oh Dear

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I dont care who he picks as long as Butt is nowhere near the squad!

• Macas35

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:06 PM

NUFC-0809-Oh Dear – Butt had a good game against Ipswich, although I wouldn’t start him tonight if Geremi or Guthrie are fit

• punk skunk...

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Butt will be playin’ tonight, no doubt!..
    …CH will be mindful of qpr’s record so far & will be makin’ sure that we don’t get over run in midfield!..
    …2 up top, with Nolan ‘in the hole'(n)…

• Alex

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:19 PM

—————–Harper——————-
    Simpson—Taylor–Zurab—–Enrique
    Geremi—–Nolan–Smith—-Jonas
    ————–Harewood–Carroll
    subs
    Krul , Ranger , Lovenkrands , Guthrie , Butt , Tozer , Vukic
    Our biggest win this season tonight with this team .

• lacedaemonian

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Wish I could go to this one.

• laurent32

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:00 PM

………………Harper………………..
    Simpson . Kiza . Taylor . Enrique
    ……………….. Smith ………………..
    … Guthrie ………………… Jonas …
    ……………….. Nolan ………………..
    ………. Carroll …. Ranger ………..

spot on shrews mag. exactly the team i was going to pub. if jonas cant start, even though i hate him, i’d probs play butt there just for a bit of extra cover for enrique as i think lovenkrands has been crap out wide and should only be played upfront imo.