Harewood Likely To Start Home Game Against Bristol City

Newcastle manager has indicated that big Marlon Harewood could start the game against Bristol City on Saturday afternoon.

marlon harewood  -292080803

Marlon Harewood – likely to start Saturday

Hughton has hinted today that he may hand Marlon Harewood his first start in competitive football since April this Saturday.

And it could be a good move because it seems Harewood will be more likely to score if only because of his extra experience over Newcastle’s young guns, Ranger and Carroll.

Hughton told the Chronicle:

“That’s what we brought him in for – to have an influence on the football pitch.”

“He was able to do that when he came on. You could see how excited he was to be on the pitch and score the goal, and that’s what we brought him in for.”

“We were afforded a bit of luxury because the two lads – Nile Ranger and Andy Carroll – had both done well on Saturday.”

“They were on the back of a good performance, and I felt I could leave Marlon on the bench.”

“Of course he’s come here to play, but we’ve got to make the decisions at the right times.”

“But we have to be realistic. We’ve done great so far. We’re going to have days which aren’t as good as other days.”

Harewood was delighted when he scored last night, and he is obviously keyed up to score goals for Newcastle and help the club in their quest to get promoted at the first time of asking.

If Marlon can score on Saturday and Newcastle can win the game, we’ll be in great shape for the international break.

Howay The Lads!!

• Where did the good times go

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Good move……love Ranger, but he has time on his side and stats show The Hare has scored more goals for us in less than a game than Ranger has all season.

Rangers time will come and coming off the bench against sloppy defences he will score and confidence will grow and i have no doubts he will be our N.o 1 striker in years to come.

But for now we need something different and The Hare and Carroll up front we are a different propostition, of pace and power.

Bring back Geremi on the right and Nolan to play central.

Bristol City:

Harper

Simpson Kiz672h Taylor Enrique

Geremi Smith Nolan Jonas

Carroll Hare

Subs:
    Krul, Kadar, Guthrie, Lua Lua, Butt, Ranger, Donaldson.

• DJM TOON

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM

geremi start instead of guthrie?

no way

• DJM TOON

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM

but i agree, let harewood start, nile can still do plenty from the bench

and sorry, geremi doesnt even make the bench

lovenkrands and guthrie

• sirjasontoon

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Ranger and Caroll need high whipped in crosses from the wings so they can use the height advantage…at the moment we don’t have the sort of player to deliver those crucial balls from the wings for them to convert.

Harewood is a much better option and should have started last night….Chris needs to start listening to me 🙂

• Macas35

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM

DJM Toon – Geremi was probably our best midfielder against Plymouth, whereas Guthrie hasn’t had the best of times in his last two games.

• buda boom

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:13 PM

In relation to the article I would give him an hour on saturday. Doesn’t look fit enough to last whole match Ranger will be better for the rest and to play against tiring defenders.
    Harewood looked promising but why after grabbing his goal did he want to go and play on the right wing for the last 15 minutes
    Interesting CH says Guthrie will remain his penalty taker. The dweeb shouldn’t be in the starting eleven on saturday after that god awful display last night.
    Zhurab also looked woefully exposed and slow last night and would not be in my starting side. What has happened to us that we are signing players like him.
    Butt should be released from the club must never play for the toon again.

• bowburnmag

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Ed – where does it hint he’ll start? In those quotes?

• bowburnmag

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Sorry, I didn’t meant to sound flippant. I’m just not reading it like that. Of course, no doubt he’ll prove me wrong and drop Ranger.

In my opinion it was inexplicable taking Ranger off last night. He offers more than Carroll in my opinion, although granted Carroll set up the goal.

Once Ranger gets a goal, he could become frightening. My only worry is that he could be so good by January that someone will snap him up for a bargain price.

• Mag_Laad

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM

bowburnmag

was thinking the same thing

• shrews mag

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM

sirjasontoon … no … he needs to start listening to me … 😉

For saturday

……………… Harper ……………….

Simpson .. Kiz .. Taylor .. Enrique

………………. Smith …………………

McLoven …………………….. Jonas

………………. Nolan ………………..

……….Carroll … Harewood……..

Ranger to come on for Harewood and Guthrie to come on for McLoven with 25 mins to go …

• buda boom

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Shrews mag
    I have seen nothing that tells me McLoven deserves a start.
    How did things get this bad but I suppose that is a 1000 blogs in itself

• tdt

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM

shrews mag – i agree with ur teamsheet.

Although I think Lua Lua would be better than Loven on teh right midfield. CH doesnt rate his though or he would have used him more. As long as we play 442, dont have Butt or Geremi on the pitch and get some crosses wipped in from the wings, i think we should do just fine.

• Bigbadbob

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM

3 inter changeable strikers, its almost a glut compared to what we are used to but Harewood has pace and that makes him a certain starter for me with the other two fighting for the other spot.
    As for the January sales, Bowburn you say bargain price and thats what we have been conditioned to accept, loanees in and cash sales out, Ashley would sell his granny to a gang of Hells Angels for cash.

• Thump

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:42 PM

@tdt: LuaLua is a great player but he tries to do everything himself. He seems to go for glory rather than the simple win and that lets him down in my opinion. Every time I’ve seen the lad he’ll make a superb run and then ignore an incredible passing opportunity and then get dispossessed (ala Jonas without the confidence).

I WOULD like to see him get on at some point, though… just as long as he’s slapped into shape and told to pass the begger!

• Dennis Twice

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Geremi crosses….Andy&Hare put those in

• tdt

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I see owen is bust again, way.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Yeah heard about Owen last night…Great news made me almost as happy when I heard Dyer broke his leg…that was a great day 🙂

• shrews mag

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:21 PM

buda boom and tdt … I hear what you are saying about loven … I just think that if you give him a start I think he will provide width and pace to the team.

If he’s no good … then stick Guthrie or Lua Lua on (although I have to take your word on the kid as I have never seen him play)

• sirjasontoon

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I heard on the grapevine that Premier is actually going to come on later and say something slightly Funny later on….He has to be the worst WUM ever on NUFC Blog….I feel sorry for him 🙂

• tdt

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I agree Lovenkrands may be starting to improve as his fitness increases, however – my flatmate is a rangers FC fan and he keeps telling me Lovenkrands is a striker, not a winger. Hence you he has looked “pap” for the toon. hmm. Did he do much for us when he came on at right wing last night? CH may well go foe gutherie on the right, which i dont mind, but he is a central “passer and mover”, not a tricky crossing winger. we need to get in another winger on the right, should have keep milner. lol bit late now though.

———————Harper——————-
    Simpson–Kznish–Collo–Enrique
    ——————–Smith(c)—————-
    Gutherie—————————–Jonas
    ——————–Nolan——————
    —–Carroll————-Harewood—–

Although I think Gutherie needs to act more like a winger than he did last night, or put someone (Lua Lua or Geremi – although G is pap) there who will.

• 9ds9

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM

buda boom “Zhurab also looked woefully exposed and slow last night and would not be in my starting side”
    U kiddin mate! He looked like the only premier league player on show last night, was composed and played it simple to start attacks off every time.
    Heard others say the same at the match last night. Was my MoM by far.
    Jonas also changed the game. We always had an overlap down the left in the 2nd half. Should have grabbed a win with the chances we had but still we picked up points when others dropped them and thats what we need to do to win this league!

• AndyNUFC

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I really really don’t understand anybody who rates Carroll higher than Ranger.

I’d put Harewood up front with Lovenkrands.

• 9ds9

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM

AndyNUFC The only reason people do i think is because he has scored a few this season. I think ranger with a goal and harewood would be a great combo with loven coming off the bench to run at defences! Iv been raving on about playing ranger in the 1st team since half way through last season

• Dan4Toon

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Harper
    Simpson S.Taylor Khiza Enrique
    Guthrie Nolan Smith Jonas
    Carroll Harewood

Subs: Krul, Kadar, Butt, Geremi, Donaldson, Lovenkrands, Ranger.

That will be what Hughton will pick, and to who ever said Khiza was terrible last night, he had a good game, didn’t do anything wrong, good in the air, good positional play!

• AndyNUFC

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Aye I guess so but it’s just something about Carroll holding me back from putting him in my team every week. He just doesn’t seem to have that class, style… Ranger does though. Can anyone see Carroll being a good premiership striker next year? Nope. I’d see Harewood + a new signing and Ranger coming off the bench in the prem. He’s a tall lad, but just doesn’t have much else IMO.

• Where did the good times go

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Newcastles problem is we have too many similar players for midfield.

Smith= defensive midfielder
    Butt = defensive midfielder
    Guthrie= defensive midfielder

Jonas= winger

Geremi= central midfielder
    Nolan= central midfielder
    Barton= central midfielder

Normally you would pick one from each position, the problem is we are a winger short and far too many central / defensive midfielders, so we are asking players to play out of position, ie
    Barton / Guthrie /Butt / Loven on the wings!

I’ve mentioned this before but by playing with 3 central midfielders and one behind the strikers (Jonas) we get the players playing in better positions. I accept Jonas plays as a winger, but he cant do the fundementals as a winger, CROSS! So let him do what hes good at run at plays and where better to do that than behind the strikers.

Just a thought.

• Partizan

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:43 PM

We should play this team for an easy win against Bristol.

—————————Harper—————————
    Simpson——–Zurab———-Taylor——–Enrique-
    ———————Nolan——-Guthrie——————
    ———Jonas——————————Lovenkrands-
    ——————Harewood—-Smith———————

• Thump

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM

@Good times: Smith can be deployed almost anywhere (admittedly he performs best in a central role).

@Partizans: There’s a reason Smith is being played in a defensive position – he’s s***e as a striker!

• Kevin Nichol

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM

partizan…i dont know if you were at last nights match; but jose and jonas have a great understanding together down that left hand side! Jonas has played his best stuff for us down the left; i can guarentee he will not play on the right hand side!

I can see why people are not very happy with the idea of geremi on the right; however as much as i do not rate geremi he offers us far more on the right hand side of midfield than guthrie does! At least he hogs the touchline; holds his position out wide and puts in some decent balls. Without ryan taylor or Geremi on the field yesterday; our set pieces were dreadfull. No quality into the box at all.

At home we must attack teams by having an option out wide! For the first half butt was a man down and totally out of position; for the whole game guthrie offered very little in terms of getting forward or opening up space by getting some chalk on his boots! He came inside far to often; which is not his fault as he was playing his natural game; i like guthrie as a player, just not out wide!

Playing a CM out on the wing does not work; it is a specialist position; especially at professional level! Square pegs in round holes will only work for so ong and last night we got found out; until jonas came on and offered us an option down the left wing!

• Partizan

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Thump….Yes you’re right,but i think that being in this crap league could be the turning point for Alan Smith to start scoring goals again.

• laurent32

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM

i agree harewood should start as we just arent getting enough crosses into the box for carroll and ranger to benefit. also although i might get slated for this but id prefer to have geremi on the right as hes more comfortable out there and can provide the crosses needed for carroll. if ryan taylor is back id also have him in over guthrie. also lovenkrands should never be played on the wing as hes crap there. he needs to be played up front where hes most effective. at the moment with the players we have hes probably going to be restricted to cup and substitute roles.

team for sat

————–harper————-
    simpson zurab taylor enrique
    —————smith————–
    geremi/rtaylor nolan jonas
    ——harewood carroll——–

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I tell you what, I’m really sick of this EASY win against Plymouth EASY win angainst Bristol. FFS people have none of you learned any lessons from the last few years.

There is a reason we are in the Championship not the premiership, that we take far to much as a given. I look forward to victories every game I watch or listen to (depending on the circumstances) but I never look at any game as an EASY win especially this year as we are a big scalp for any team and they will up there game to try and claim that scalp.

Yes we were poor last night and did’nt help ourselves put come on there aint no such thing as a free ride in any game of football.

Some people need a reality check.

• Thump

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:59 PM

@Waldo: Hit the nail right on the head, mate.

• Partizan

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Waldo…Easy man,we’re better than that….and Bristol City is gonna get hammered thats for sure.

No respect to noone,,we’re the alpha and omega in this league.

• Bigbadbob

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM

waldo – i agree and its arrogant to play 4 central midfielders or 5 across the middle in home matches and expect the result to come to us.
    We desperately need movement in the team and pace, this is what has undone us over the past few seasons and what we had in abundance under Keegan in his first spell and then under Sir Bobby.
    The crab like dull football introduced by Dalglish, followed through by Souness and then Allerdyce and adopted as a safety default by Hughton does my head in.
    OK it, folks will say it is effective but i would say that once you go a goal behind like that, you dont have the momentum to go on and beat teams once you are locked into a slow build up mode.
    Hughton is going have to be bold enough to play players in their proper positions with proper wide midfielders, only then can we dominate teams.

• magpie6699

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Strange game last night:
    QPR were very quick and passed the ball well.
    We were a bit off the boil and as expected struggled against pace
    However, I can’t fault the lads for their effort and despite QPR looking the better side for a fair bit, possession was about 50% each, we actually had the best scoring chances, missed a penalty and their goal came from a deflection, so I don’t agree with all the doom and gloom, or that we were a bit lucky to get a point. For all QPRs pretty play, they only had 2 shots on goal to our 6. I think it could turn out to be a useful point – and if we can keep winning or drawing when we are not at our best, that’s gotta be a good sign?

• OHurley

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Glad to see that The Hare is already comin’ good. I knew his experience would pay off for us. Also- I’d like to see Ranger and Carroll alternating for the starting spot. My 1st team is as follows, and I think everybody can agree with this.

———————-Harper———————

Khiz———–Colo———Tayls—-Enrique

———————-Smithy———————

Taylor————————————Jonas

———————–Nolan———————

———-Harewood——–Carroll————

Subs- Krul, Khizanishvili, Kadar, Guthrie, Geremi, Lovenkrands, Ranger.

Notice there is ABSOLUTELY NO NICKY BUTT. Ergo, we will win games.

• OHurley

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM

*Simpson starting for Khizanishvili. My bad.

• OHurley

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM

magpie6699-

Well stated, m8. I don’t think the lads played as poorly as everyone is thinking. They got a lucky goal, and other than couldn’t capitilize on ANYTHING. We could’ve bagged a few more with any luck, but a point is a point.

• OHurley

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM

They = QPR. QPR got lucky on that goal when it flicked off Tayls’s foot. What crap. Reminds me of a certain infamous Gareth Barry goal from last May…