Danny Guthrie Looking For Salvation Against Bristol City

Danny Guthrie has admitted today that he was extremely upset when he missed the penalty on Wednesday night – so were most Newcastle fans! 🙁

danny guthrie 56565

Danny Guthrie – in happier times

The young midfielder will be hoping to take all his frustrations out on Bristol City tomorrow afternoon.

Guthrie admits his penalty miss came just a week after he had himself sent off against Peterborough United, which contributed to Newcastle’s Carling Cup exit.

Danny said today:

“My head was all over the place when I missed it.” “You just have to get it out of your system as quickly as possible – and for me that’s helping beat Bristol.”

“”I’m trying to forget about it as quickly as I can – the only way I can do that is by working as hard as I can for the team.” “Hopefully I can get a bit of luck now!”

“The last couple of weeks have been up and then down.” “I’d scored a couple in successive home games and set a couple up.”

“Then I got sent off at Peterborough – which was stupid.” “Then I missed the pen.”

“I just have to stay strong and I will be looking to bounce back, this can make me stronger.”

We have to admit we are big fans of young Danny, and it seems a classic case of the 22 year-old learning his trade and maturing on the field at the same time.

We have a feeling we may get an excellent performance from Guthrie tomorrow to make up for his below par outing on Wednesday night against QPR.

But if we get another penalty tomorrow afternoon against Bristol City, we MUST score from it.

Note – don’t forget to vote for the Newcastle MOM on Wednesday night on our home page – we’ll announce the results later today.

• Soren

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Sh** happens. He is still a good young player. Salvation is only goals away for you Danny.

• cicero

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I like Danny Guthrie, passionate, which gets him in to trouble some times, hard grafter who always gives 100%. However, I think he is a good Championship player, but would be at best a squad player in the premiership.

• SuperShearer

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I rate Danny Guthrie very highly. If he continues to mature as a player and hones his skill there is no reason that he cannot be a future England regular. I have a number of Liverpool friends who are still bitter that he left as they saw him as a long term replacement for Gerrard. That praise may be too high but he’s got more to offer than a lot of our midfield.

• Bigbadbob

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I also rate Guthrie but he is apologizing too often for me, he really needs to start producing consistently and cut the crap out, hope he stays in the side as he always has a goal in him unlike some of our senior midfield plodders.

• magpie4ever

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM

KK awarded £2mill plus interest!!!!

• NICK C

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Now, hopefully we can finally move forward..

• Mac