Harewood Already Starting To Look The Part At Newcastle

Chris Hughton has been most impressed by Marlon Harewood’s start to a three-month loan spell on Tyneside.

marlon harewood 123

Marlon Harewood – well there’s the firsat one for Newcastle!

Marlon has to be in line for his very first start against Bristol City tomorrow, and Danny Simpson is sure the big striker will prove to be an excellent addition to the Newcastle squad.

Harewood’s equaliser, after 70 minutes on Wednesday night, was the first time he had scored a first team goal in 18 months, but 22 year-old Simpson is convinced he can be prolific for the Magpies, just like he has been with other teams in the Championship.

Chris explained:

“We just know that he’s going to score. Look at Wednesday night, you just knew he’d come and score. We’re looking good up front – even though Shola is out.”

“I have played against him in training and he’s strong. I marked him the first training session since I came back from injury and he’s big, strong and powerful – he looks to roll you and try and put you on the back foot. He was trying to rough me up.”

“He’s got so much good experience, he’s desperate to play and score goals and I feel like he’s desperate to be here. He doesn’t want to come here and sit on the bench.”

“That first goal will help. Strikers want to get their goal early and it will mean a lot to him to score his first at home. I didn’t know it was 18 months since he scored. I’d not have thought that the way he’s looked in training or the games.”

“I don’t think he had any nerves because he’s so experienced, but it’s nice for him to get the ball rolling. He can look to get some more for us now.”

“In this league it’s nice to have experienced players around us. I know Marlon will come in and help out Andy and Nile – they’re still young lads and they’ll pick up little things from him I think.”

While we didn’t think the loan signing of Harewood was a particularly inspired one, we have to admit we’ve been very impressed with Marlon both on and off the field, since he joined us last week.

He seems just a first-class professional and obviously glad to be playing football again.

Marlon also seems an emotional player, who will play off the fabulous Newcastle crowd’s support, to his and the team’s advantage.

In fact Marlon has all the attributes to be a massive player for us through the end of the year.

He’s certainly made a good start to his Tyneside career – and long may it continue, and we are certainly starting to take a shining to big Marlon. 😀

Note – don’t forget to vote for the Newcastle MOM on Wednesday night on our home page – we’ll announce the results later today.

• komfort

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM

THE HARE IS RUNNING…….

• cicero

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Against Bristol this Saturday I would play Harewood up front and either Carroll & Ranger along side him, as neither of them has let us down, and swap them over at half time, I think both of them will benefit from playing along side Harewood.

I think the back 4 pretty much picks itself with Smith, who’s been our player of the season so far, playing in front of them. Nolan has looked better the last few games plying just behind the front two. Jonas on the left, although his final ball could be better, stretches defences by going past the fullback and pulling the centre backs across leaving more space. Up front I would play Harewood and either Carroll & Ranger to start, as neither of them has let us down, and swap them over at half time, I think both of them will benefit from playing along side Harewood. That leaves the the right side if midfield. I thought Guthrie, although having a poor game, linked well with Simpson down the right. Gerimi hasn’t got the legs any more and would be better coming off the bench.

——————-Harper—————–
    Simpson—-Taylor –Zurab—-Enrique
    ——————Smith———————
    Guthrie———–Nolan———–Jonas
    ————–Caroll——Harewood

If things are going well for us I would also bring young Harris Vuckic on for Nolan to play in the hole; I don’t think he is an out-and-out striker but I think he is a class act and needs to be blooded and brought on for half an hour.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Harewood has to start.
    End of Story.

• Kevin Nichol

Oct 2, 2009 at 10:44 AM

HAHAHA…Your such a legend ED..!!!!

I remember a couple of weeks ago when you posted a negative article about harewood not really being up to the standard we required and him being the last choice of all our targets 🙂

I specifically recall saying we should give the boy a chance before judging him…

I applaud the sudden change of direction with a big smile on my face after his goal and cameo against ipswich….love it 🙂

• premier

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Perfect part for Harewood is Donkey in nativity play!!

• Where did the good times go

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM

The Hare has the qualities to boss our league, but have my doubts about the PL, same could be said about a few of our players mind