Keegan Statement Following His £2M Award From Newcastle

Kevein Keegan has released a statement expressing his delight at the tribunal decision.

nufc-crest

Kevin describes the decision to resign as among the most difficult he’s ever faced.

The full statement from Kevin reads as follows:

“I am delighted that the Premier League Manager’s Arbitration Tribunal has today formally announced that it has upheld my claim for wrongful dismissal against Newcastle United Football Club. The full details of the decision are on the Premier League website and will also be added to the League Managers Association website in due course.”

“I took the decision to resign in September 2008 only after very careful and anxious consideration. The decision to resign was one of the most difficult that I have ever had to take in my life. I believe that anybody who knows me and my attachment to Newcastle United and the North East in general will understand how difficult this must have been. I very much hope that the decision of the Tribunal now confirms why I felt that I had no option but to resign from the position as manager of the club that I love.”

“The Tribunal has found the conduct of the club in forcing a player on me against my wishes represented a fundamental breach of my contract of employment. I do not believe that there is any manager in football who could have remained at the club in the light of their conduct.”

“Since my departure there have been many untrue stories written about my resignation, my time at the club and these proceedings. I do not blame the press for this: I know that the journalists concerned are only doing their job, but I hope that the Tribunal’s decision will now conclusively put to rest a number of allegations made against me.”

“In particular I believe that the Tribunal’s decision makes it clear that I did have the final say on transfers and the Club’s allegation that I did not, which was publicised widely at the time of my resignation and subsequently, was simply untrue.” “The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.”

“I resigned because I was being asked to sanction the signing of a player in order to “do a favour” for two South American agents. No one at the club had seen this player play and I was asked to sign him on the basis of some clips on You Tube. This is something that I was not prepared to be associated with in any way.”

“The club knew that I objected strongly to this transfer and were aware that by continuing with it I was likely to feel that I had no option but to resign. Notwithstanding this they nevertheless went on to sign the player at very substantial cost to the club.”

“Contrary to the public statements made by the club at the time they did not do all that they could to retain me at the club. In particular they refused to acknowledge that I was entitled to the final say on transfers. This left me in a totally untenable position.”

“A number of the allegations made against me by the club at the hearing, in order to support their £2 million claim against me, were totally without foundation and should never have been raised in the proceedings.”

“I very much regret that this claim ever had to go to the hearing as it did. I want to state categorically that the allegation that has been made in the press that I turned down an offer of £4 million to settle the claim is simply untrue. No such offer was made to me.”

“I also want to confirm that a central purpose of my claim has always been to clear my name and restore my reputation. I consider it of vital importance that I was able to let people know about the full circumstances of my resignation and the way in which I had been treated by the club. I hope that this purpose has now been achieved.”

“There are a number of technical issues that still need to be resolved by the Tribunal and I obviously will not be in a position to comment on them until after those issues have been resolved.”

“I would like to thank my family, friends, legal team and the League Managers Association who have all offered me their unstinting support throughout this very challenging period. I would also like to thank the members of the Tribunal itself who have given such fair, able and meticulous consideration to my case.”

“Finally I would like to thank the fans of Newcastle United for their continued support and wish them and the club continued success in the current season in their goal of reaching the Barclays Premier League.”

And the Newcastle club issued a terse statement this morning as follows:

“The Premier League Tribunal Panel considering the matter between Newcastle United and Kevin Keegan has today returned its decision.”

“Click here to view the decision in full.”

“The Club will be making no comment on this matter.”

It’s interesting to us that the link to the full decision doesn’t work!

There is obviously a battle now for the PR on the case – but in our view both parties have to take responsibiltiy for what happened – and nobody comes out of this looking Lilly white.

The Newcastle club and the fans were the big losers in all of this, and the club was relegated last season in large part because of the inability of  both parties to work through the problems.

But Kevin Keegan supporters will say that Kevin has been vindicated, and others will take satisfaction in that the £2M award was at the lower end of what could have been awarded to Kevin – since Keegan and his lawyers were claiming a massive  £26M.

We’re glad this nonsense is all over.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Nothing new there then….SCUM.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM

These Bozo have to be forced out of the Club somehow or other, they really are bordering on the ridiculous and have been proven in a court that they are liars.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM

BOZO’S

• Hobs

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Still a greedy initial offer from Keegan.

But hos is it possible to react when the club deliberately lies to it’s fans? Any sanction put upon the club will eventually end up in harming the club or it’s fans, not the owner and directors.

Wounder how many season tickets that would be sold if the fans knew this ahead of the season.

• thud and blunder

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM

The club have actually won in a way as the verdict states that the £2m clause in his contract was payable, and thats the fee Keegan has got.

But Keegan has also tried to screw the club for every penny…I mean £25m+??? Even the jury said that that was OTT.

So to conclude, im happy that this is finally over and the club can move forward WITHOUT fat tw@t and his cockney mob in control. Come on MOat…do the deal!!!

• inselaffe

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM

more blah blah….

Thought he was meant to be a ‘King’???

• DevonMag

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

The quote that you just posted Jason actually makes my blood boil, there is no other word more suited to these cretinous, vile low-lifes than ‘scum.’
    Personally I take KK’s words in this statement as totally believable and reasonable, and it was clear there was always something fishy about the circumstances of his departure, just glad it’s cleared up now. Ashley and his pathetic excuse of a partner need to get out of this club, now.

• Hobs

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Keegan wanted £25mill to reduce the club’s asking prize to £75mill.
    Then he would team up with Moat who pays the last £50mill, and buy the club from Ashley! 😀

• sirjasontoon

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Agree DevonMag….the things that have gone on under this regime are unforgivable..how Ashley dare show his face at Matches is beyond me.

• MacToon

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:45 PM

The club (the owner) has lied to the end but the tribunal seen it for what it was:

“The Club raised a number of grounds upon which they submitted they would have
    been entitled to dismiss Mr Keegan had he not resigned on 4 September 2008. We
    reject them all.”

How this owner has continually lied to it’s customers, the fans but continue to get gates of 40,000+ amazes me. Get outta our club you lying bunch o’ twats.

• NICK C

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I think Ed has it cock on.

• Spitfire

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Ed
    You have written
    “And if news stories last week were true that Keegan rejected a£4M offer from the club, he could have made twice the money he ended up with – if that was important to him.”

Keegan in his statement said:

‘I want to state categorically that the allegation that has been made in the press that I turned down an offer of £4 million to settle the claim is simply untrue. No such offer was made to me.”

I’m disappointed that you – people- will still cast doubt on Keegans integrity truthfulness and dignity despite his very clear and categorical statement about this affair. At least in a day or two it will all finally be over.

My faith in Keegan over Ashley and co has been unremitting.

• DevonMag

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Maybe now he wont so readily turn up to matches. I’m also hoping this will seriously start to push the sale through, the idea of having an owner who cares about the club seems totally crazy to me, I don’t care if there isn’t a 20million warchest every window the fact alone that he wouldn’t be trying to shaft us and take us for complete mugs fills my heart with warmth!

• catchy in norway

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM

this is the best bit

• Bigbadbob

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM

This is the perfect result and an outbreak of common sense has taken place.
    Keegan has won his case, good, proves what a pack of twats run this club.
    2m is spot on, its what should have been paid at the outset and this could have been put to bed.
    Disappointed that the 25m was true which kind of puts Keegan in the same cash hungry bracket as Ashley but he hired him and used his emotional draw without understanding what the character of the man he employed.
    Massive battle of egos which has ended in a draw, draw a line, move on, get the club sold now and look forward to a fresh beginning for the club without feeding the media constant ammunition to shoot us with.

• ginkoh

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Keegan versus Mike Ashley and co. But Newcastle United die that’s truth we cannot refuse.

However, good for all parties that end of story now. I only just focus on 3 points this saturday, hope we can do it. Howay the lads !!

• Thump

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:57 PM

What an absolute disgrace.

I’m absolutely furious with the statement SJT posted.

I’ve known forest fires to be a lower temperature than my blood (and p*ss) right now.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Proves that Fat tw*t & Lamearse are at best liars & at worse crooks. The sooner they get out of Toon the better.

• fenhamfashnu

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Spitfire, you tooks the words rigth out of my mouth!! And to all you people who have been dragging keegans name through the gutter and believing that fat spurs fans attempts to blacken keegans name well….. Hang Your Heads In Shame!

• MacToon

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Bigbadbob, kind of agree with ur post, hopefully now we can all move forward, we know some of the truth now, the owner is a liar and the Gonzales deal sounds like a bit of a backhander…. but maybe a legal one.

• Pons Aelius

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM

That’s it. I’ve kept my mouth shut for months now.

Spitfire comment 12 – BANG ON MATE!

All those who doubted Keegan and his integrity should hand their head in f^&king shame. He’s been proved right. The board appointed a f&*king idiot over his head who scouted players on YOUTUBE!

Keegan walked for the right reasons. He did it out of principle. The club lied to him, undermined him and he felt unable to do his job. More importantly the club have ADMITTED lying to the fans and he exposed it in the only way he could.

Now we know exactly what type of shambolic operation Ashley was running when Keegan left. I’ve waited patiently for a verdict and now we know. I for one never doubted Keegan and have never believed he intended to ‘rip us off’, or ‘spat his dummy out’ without a very, very good reason. The money he has taken from the club is his legal entitlement after being forced out. I have no problems there.

What I want to see now is Ashley sell up and let us have a leadership who respects the fanbase.

Good luck to Keegan. He’s still the King to me.

• Stardust

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Remember those statements were put out against the backdrop of Geordie Hatred of Wise.

Cant believe you think it was OK to walk out and sue the club for 25m on the signing of one loan player for commercial reasons.

I give up – some of you are Keegan supporters not NUFC supporters.

• unclepauly

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM

NEWCASTLE !

UNITED !

WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED !

• original kash

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Expect some movement on the take over front. An important meeting (regarding takeover) is being held today. That’s all my source has told me.

Hopefully this will bring forward what I think will be a successful Moat led era for Newcastle.

In addition, a young player is potentially leaving us for a side that has in the past won the champions league.

• Johno Toon

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Ive always said i blamed all involved and i still do , fair play to Keegan for getting his cash and it shows how badly the club is / was been run for a player to be signed from you tube!

But to a certain extent i can see why nacho was signed. Regardless if we like it or not this is how agents deal, we scratch their back they strach our back.

Should nacho of been forced on Keegan? No , could Keegan of kept working imo Yes.

• Stardust

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Johno – a good take on it.

• MacToon

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Stardick, do you not think this was the strongest part of KK’s case and what he and the LMA concentrated their efforts on but in reality there was the Milner sale and Xisco’s signing which were probably a little bit dodgy too!

Rose tinted glasses you say lol, you obviously have a white stick.

• Pons Aelius

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Stardust – Since when was supporting NUFC and Keegan a mutually exclusive practice? I support them both and from the way I see it Keegan exposed the worst owner in our entire history when he left.

How you can have the gall of accusing anyone on this site of not supporting the club when we all clearly care so much baffles me.

You supported Ashley’s regime throughout that last season and people accused you of not supporting the club, I’m sure you disagree with that.

• original kash

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:33 PM

@Johno – How much commission do you think Wise, Jiminez, Vetere et al made from the deals they brokered in Newcastle? Obviously this commission is on top of the salary they are already receiving!!!

• original kash

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Maybe if Wise was attached to Vlado Lemic’s network then we would have had some cracking players come to the club!!!

• Johno Toon

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM

orginal kash maybe i have missed this but where is commision mentioned?

• NO F IN KINNEAR

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM

STARDUST seething at being made to look a fool backing this joke of an owner yet again. are you sure you ain’t him. LIES LIES LIES from the owner and his chairman is the outcome of this case which if you remember they said would vindicate them and justify their stance. a pleasing day to be a NEWCASTLE UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB SUPPORTER.

• ende

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Stardust

//I give up – some of you are Keegan supporters not NUFC supporters.

Maybe you’re a Mike Ashley supporter and not an NUFC supporter? That childish game can be easily swung the other way.

Stardust have you actually read the report? You should. It’s online. You can read it right here: http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/c0/3f/0,,12306~147392,00.pdf

Ashley breached contract. You talk about ‘one mere player’. There are other cases here that did not necessarily enjoy the spotlight of this tribunal. James Milner ring a bell? All of that aside, it only takes one breach of a contract to reduce its ability to have any faith maintained in it. Once that is done, what is the point of that contract?

I’m glad Keegan didn’t get £25mil, obviously. I think the £2mil is fair and doesn’t hurt the club significantly. Might I point out that Ashley’s own actions (via Denis Wise) cost the club half of that amount alone in the very player that this disputed originated in.

How anyone can still sit there and blame Keegan is beyond me. Not when an independent tribunal has come down in his favor, not to mention that the person on the other side of this table is Mike Ashley. I haven’t heard a single word from you, Stardust, condemning Mike Ashley for his part in all of this.

All kidding aside… -are- you employed by this man?!?

• estechco

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Spot on Spitfire & Pons Aelius.

Where are all the KK haters now?

Players on YouTube..are they having a laugh!

Don’t even get me started on the Xisco debacle. How much more than £2m will HE end up costing the club. No one has yet manged to convince me that his agent and brother (one Tony Jiminez) isn’t the same t*sser that we had scouting for us at the time…sorry I mean watching YouTube.

Now Kevin if you could maybe make a (small) donation to the SBR fund then you status as legend will be fully restored.

• Bigbadbob

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM

stardust – you never fail to disappoint me, for gods sake change the record will you.
    We know what side you are on and your opinion but how you can still side with proven liars is beyond me.
    If this had been criminal proceedings they would all be facing jail terms for perjury and despite the excessive 25m claim, i admire Keegan for having the balls to stand up to them.
    Please try and form an opinion without prejudice, you purport to be an intelligent person, try and act like one instead of a complete twat.

• Stardust

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Like I said – far too many on here support the cowardly creep who ran for the signing of one loan player on a difference of opinion – and tried to take the whole club down rather than supporting the club.

You really are the worst kind of rotters I have ever encountered.

• Bill F

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM

A lot of managers get players foisted on them they don’t want, it seems to be a (not so new ) trend of the game. I still think Keegan should have been prepared to stick it out for the sake of the fans who he constantly professes to love. I’m no Ashley lover and will be glad to see us get rid of him, but I don’t think either party come out smelling very sweet. I reckon we have a scoreless draw here.
    Be interesting to see what sort of crowd we have this weekend.

• Spitfire

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Stardust is Llambias

• MacToon

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:01 PM

If you’ve seen the Damned United, I see similarities to us and when Clough left Derby, remember in KK’s first time here as manager he was always threatening to walk in the hope he got things changed and he backed it then by getting us to the top of the prem,

Just an observation! Still, the owner backed the wrong people imo and has been shown up to be a liar, he lied to us (constantly) and lied at the tribunal.

• batty

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM

stardust your a double rotter