Newcastle’s caretaker boss Chris Hughton has today talked, maybe for the last time, about Newcastle’s failed penalty appeal on Saturday against Bristol City.
Chris Hughton – we have to move on
Chris wasn’t the only one who couldn’t believe a penalty wasn’t given as referee Graham Salisbury waved away protests when Marlon Harewood was brought down rather clumsily by City defender Jamie McCombe.
Speaking this morning on the subject of that penalty that wasn’t given, Hughton told the Evening Chronicle:
“It’s gone now, but for me, it was an absolute certain penalty.” “All I did was look to ref, expecting him to point to the spot.”
“I spoke to Marlon, and he said it was an absolute certainty.” “We have to look forward to the next game, but they’re pivotal moments.”
Even though the last two results at home, have hardly been what we had hoped for, the lads are still 3 points clear at the top of the league, and if that had been offered on the first day of the season, August 8th, we’d have gladly taken it. 😀
“After a period of time after this game, you have to assess where we are.”
“We’re going into an international break three points clear, albeit with some tough games to come.”
“If you had told me that at the start of the season, I would have been delighted with it.”
We suspect Chris will not be looking at the next several games and plotting his game tactics for=each one of them, with the aim always being how to get those 3 points.
It will also be a good time to ensure Jose Enrique and Fabricio Coloccini are fit again as it looks like Joey Barton is probably out until February, unfortunately.
We have done very well in our first 11 games but we have to keep this up through the end of the year where we will hopefully still be top of the league by then.
We’d also love to see a second specialist left back at the club since Jose Enrique had never had competition for that position since he’s been on Tyneside, and it will certainly help balance the squad.
Howay The Lads!!