Hughton On Moat Speculation – I’ll Get On With My Job

Chris Hughton had done a great job so far for Newcastle in the midst of some terrible working conditions as the interim manager at Newcastle.

chris hughton 12986

Chris Hughton – I’ll get on with my job

And one of those is that he has no idea how long he will be in the job, amid the rising speculation that Barry Moat is trying to buy the club, and reports that he will immediately return Alan Shearer as manager of the club.

Chris talked today about the most recent speculation:

“If I worried about things like that I would drive myself mad.” “The new speculation is nothing I have been told about by anyone at the club, so I am just getting on with my job.”

“As far as I am aware, we are still in the same situation we were in a few months ago.” “I have learned to take most of what is written and claimed about the takeover and the club with a pinch of salt over the last few months.”

“I don’t know what would happen if there was a change of ownership. The way for me to deal with it is to just get on with my job – the club is still in the same position that we were when I was asked to take the job on.”

“I can’t afford to think in ‘what ifs’ and I haven’t thought about what would happen if I was asked to hand over to someone else.” “The players are the most important people in this, and the most important thing for me is to do the job to the best of my ability.”

“My job for the next fortnight is to prepare everyone properly for the Forest game.”

It’s really hard to fault this man for his work ethic or his attitude, which is one reason he’s got the lads playing so very well this season.

If Newcastle do replace him – if and when Moat buys the club – it could only happen at Newcastle – that a manager wins two consecutive CCC awards, has the team clear at the top of the Championship –  but is replaced in the job.

Somebody at the club would need to explain that rather flawed logic.

• dave 1961

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:11 PM

the flawed logic would be to chance a coach as manager, when it has been tried over and over and every time it fails, then we sack the coach and back to square one again, or do we hope that this will be the exception. it wont it will fail then we loose a good coach

• dave 1961

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM

what annoys me is the thought of sacking Chris when he losses 4-6 games, and the clamor starts for Shearer, it is inevitable, has no one noticed that we have the best defense we have had in the last 40 years, this has to be down to Chris Hughton as its been a constant improvement while hes been hear, Chris has an important part to play if we are to have any success in the next 10 years. at what he does best head coach.

• Whumpie

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM

The logic is simple: it takes more than a good coach and decent bloke to do well in the premiership.

We’re supposed to be building for a stable future, which means a management team capable of staying in situ for a few years and guide the team back to the top end of the PL. For that you need a well-known figurehead, and Hughton, no matter how well he’s done, isn’t that.

Not that I’m completely convinced that Shearer would do as well – but I do see the logic in putting both in there for the long haul.

• bkeena00

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I love the clyb and it’s fans, but when are we going to learn from our mistakes. This messiah bullsh*t is what has use where we are. Why oh why do we all think Shearer is what we need. He was a legend as a player, the best, but why does this make him a good manager. He had 8 games last season and showed himself to have little to offer tactically. CH has dragged this team up from the gutter to the summit of the CC, and his reward is to be set aside again.
    If this happens, I think we deserve what we get. Alot of the clubs problems are down to this quick fix mentality. Messiahs don’t exist. Hard work and loyalty are what we need right now, and thats what we have at the moment.

• King Bob the first

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Shearer and Hughton

• 09-10 return of the gud times

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM

evening all
    agree with whats being said about ch he does need to be involved in coaching the defense at the very least as when we were a semi normal club and all was well when we had keegan the defense was looking quite good then under his stewrdship if we are having a new owner and new manager it has to happen during this break

• Ed Harrison

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:27 PM

One thing is for sure – if Alan comes in we’ll have to support him 100% – and if Chris can too – then half the problem is already solved.

• workyticket

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM

If Alan Shearer and his sidekick get their mitts back on the job, it would be much better for Chris Hughton to accept a manager’s position at another club, where he would be more appreciated.

• will die for the toon army

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM

This is so complicated but I wld go Shearer and CH for the future.

• Sav

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Delighted with Hughton keeping things going with dignity – imagine if we were going through all this with gobby JFK in the papers every week.
    But I agree with Whumpie. As for the defence, its not the best we’ve had in 40 year. Its that we are playing in a very poor league compared to the Premiership. If we were back there now we’d be getting hidings every week – just like last season.