Reported South Africa Bid For Newcastle Looks Dubious


We did warn over the weekend there would be many stories on the Newcastle takeover after Keegan’s case against the Tyneside club was settled by the Premier League Tribunal.

nufc-crest


And it’s the Daily Mirror and Simon Bird, that’s reporting this morning that City sources have confirmed that a new South African bidder for the club has emerged. But that’s it – no more details than that, other than  a wealthy bond dealer is known to have done due diligence on Newcastle’s financial books.

We have no idea if this story is true, but we’d take it with a large pinch of salt.

This comes at an interesting moment since Barry Moat was widely reported to have made a substantial bid for the club, but below the £100M asking price, or so reports suggest.

Ashley is said to be looking at the bid put in by Moat, and will respond to it within days, so it’s kind of surprising that a bid from South Africa of all places, should come in.

But with the Keegan case now over, and Newcastle at the top of the Championship,the club must look good deal for £100M.

There were stories that South Africa consortia were bidding last year but no proof – no proof at all – that any of these phantom bids was true.

This story looks dubious, since no concrete evidence, or any details at all, are offered by the Mirror.

We would dismiss this rumor, unless more proof that anybody at all in South Africa is interested in Newcastle.  There’ll be a bid coming from the Man in the Moon soon – or was that one of the bids last year?

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

31 comments so far

  • baro

    Oct 7, 2009 at 12:29 AM

    Comment #1

    Last years South African that wanted Newcastle was Chris Nathaniel

    0
  • baro

    Oct 7, 2009 at 12:38 AM

    Comment #2
    0
  • baro

    Oct 7, 2009 at 12:38 AM

    Comment #3

    An old article.

    0
  • Robby Bobson

    Oct 7, 2009 at 12:47 AM

    Comment #4

    George Caulkin is reporting it as well.

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6863695.ece

    The more bidders the better. I dont care about the nationality anymore the way that Ashley has screwed us over, but if Moats consortium cannot effectively fund the club if we reamins in the championship, stretching to a barclays overdraft i would prefer non locals with money.

    I think anyone trying to cash in would think twice with the way ashley has lost so much.

    The times article reports that the SA group havent been in contact with barclays suggesting they can fund the club, but who knows.

    Baro….nigerians, malayasians, bin ladens family, rich sheiks, Cheryl Cole, diamond miners, the fans, north east businessman, americans, eastern europeans…heard them all.

    0
  • baro

    Oct 7, 2009 at 12:55 AM

    Comment #5

    Robby Bobson

    I already posted that article on Zurab’s A Lovely Lad on this blog.

    0
  • baro

    Oct 7, 2009 at 12:55 AM

    Comment #6

    Does anybody have a clue who this is.

    0
  • Chris F

    Oct 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM

    Comment #7

    no, but Caulkin has been one of the least zealous reporters when it’s come to all matters Toon, seeming to be that rarest of breeds, a journo with a brain, so you never know.

    i’m not convinced however, i still think Moat’s the only game in town and sadly i think ashley will choose to stick around in the hope of cashing in next year.

    0
  • MacToon

    Oct 7, 2009 at 1:41 AM

    Comment #8

    “its involvement has been confirmed by City insiders as well as from within the club”

    Ummm, two trustworthy sets of people there, “City insiders” and “the club”

    Oh if the club says it’s true then it must be!

    0
  • baro

    Oct 7, 2009 at 2:48 AM

    Comment #9

    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/102484/Race-is-on-for-Krul/

    I guess now Juventus joins the race with Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Feynoord, And a lot of other teams for Tim Krul the future Buffon and best goally in the world.

    0
  • ende

    Oct 7, 2009 at 4:41 AM

    Comment #10

    “Krul, who has 18 months of his contract remaining, is not on big wages at St James’s Park and would jump at the chance of a glamour move to Juventus or one of the Premier League’s big guns.”

    Like he’s going to see any more action there? Krul is an idiot. He should be taking the opportunity to understudy a great keeper in Harper and patiently await his turn.

    0
  • ginkoh

    Oct 7, 2009 at 5:01 AM

    Comment #11

    If that so, waiting for sXXt due intelligence process. It’ll take time for another 2-3 months again. Ashley loop come again.

    0
  • Ketsbaia

    Oct 7, 2009 at 5:07 AM

    Comment #12

    Now that the Keegan payout has been resolved, I would actually expect other potential bidders to emerge or even re-emerge. With a £25m contingent liability, no one was ever going to buy the club – the sale was essentially on hold. However now that there is no possibility that bidders will be on the hook for another 25% of the asking price and with us top of the league, the club is genuinely attractive. If Moat doesn’t step up, he could well get out bid and to be honest I don’t even know that he can up his bid. If he is so reliant on the overdraft being extended, he is clearly struggling to finance the deal. I would therefore actually prefer that the sale is held off until a buyer who will be able to take us forward is found. After all we can’t buy players until January and while I can’t wait for Mike Ashley to leave, I would rather we wait for the right buyer rather than rush and get another disaster in. Look at Portsmouth for example, they got a new owner not even a month ago and a few weeks later the wages of the players aren’t even being paid. I know that Moat is from the area but I don’t care where the owner is from as long as they know how to run a business and are not dishonest. Our last two owners have been a Geordie and an English billionaire and look where that has got us…

    0
  • Stuart79

    Oct 7, 2009 at 6:53 AM

    Comment #13

    Can anything so go smoothly for us?

    Yet a further delay.

    I give up!

    0
  • Toonmania

    Oct 7, 2009 at 7:43 AM

    Comment #14

    Ashley please die of heart failure or something, i’ll even come to your funeral if it mean’s you leave our club, why can you not just accept the first real bid and bugger off, Portsmouth has been sold 3 times in the time it has taken you to sell this club once and you still cannot make up your mind, well do it very soon before i do it for you.
    And have another pie on me it might help you on your way

    0
  • Solaidback

    Oct 7, 2009 at 7:51 AM

    Comment #15

    Give it some dues mate, Pompey was sold for nothing this last time, so thats the only reason they’ev been sold 3 times already & have you noticed it’s been sold to 3 foriegn owners, not British, so that shows you if the TOON hadn’t been valued at £100m, we would have probably been sold by now 🙁

    As for these S.Afican bidders, who know’s whether its true or not & whether we’ll hear of more potentail bidders coming to light over the next few days/weeks!!!

    0
  • Bigbadbob

    Oct 7, 2009 at 7:56 AM

    Comment #16

    Ashley is one shrewd cold business man, what about the following scenario?
    Hes got away with asset stripping the club and small payout on the Keegan case, all the while using the NDA as a wall to hide behind.
    Moat has tried hard to make a bid but greed kicks in, leak new bidder to the press giving him time to stall yet again, buy more time, plot, scheme, conspire, tell lies, laugh at the fans, pocket their cash, string them along, say sorry, appoint Hughton, tell the fans he loves the club, laugh at them again, fail, put club up for sale again.

    0
  • bro56

    Oct 7, 2009 at 8:15 AM

    Comment #17

    oh… another quick bid just submitted… 2 days after Mort formally bid BELOW the asking price.. this isnt a public relation exercise by Ashley and Co just to raise Morts bit… very dubious timing…

    why bid now and not in the last 5 mths…smells like grandad pump to me..

    0
  • magpie6699

    Oct 7, 2009 at 8:22 AM

    Comment #18

    Amazing that a potential bidder emerges now and needs to do due diligence, like the sale of NUFC has been a secret! Any seriously interested party would have done their homework before or during the hold-ups such as Keegangate. What a Boer!

    0
  • UTD111

    Oct 7, 2009 at 8:36 AM

    Comment #19

    I really do think I’m immune to all of this now – I just read the headline and laughed.
    No amount of scheming, misleading the fans etc is beyond the FCB – as clearly demonstrated by the lies the FCB and his cronies admitted to in the KK Tribunal findings.

    0
  • Johno Toon

    Oct 7, 2009 at 8:38 AM

    Comment #20

    nice pun magpie6699!

    I really hope this doesnt drag on too much longer one way or the other. I think the club needs a long term direction. We are just plodding along, fair enough the team is doing well but off the field we are a shambles and that is down to ” Mr im staying no Im going no Im gonna stay or will i? “. He needs to sell up or get in other investors and have a smaller stake in the club. Just something to get the club moving forward

    0
  • magpie6699

    Oct 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

    Comment #21

    Johno – Ta.
    On the same theme, I see that the Fans Trust (the “Yes We Can” lot) are meeting today. They claim to have £20 million in pledges already. What I want to know – don’t know if anybody has the answer – is whether they have to work in isolation or can merge with benefit into another bid (e.g. Moat’s) – with the understanding of serious fan involvement in the club as a result. An extra £10 million (say) might make Moat’s bid hard to turn down and any extra funds could go to team strengthening.
    I’m sure this is a very naive thought and will be shot down – but I’d like to hear why not?

    0
  • Mikey25

    Oct 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

    Comment #22

    I think come the end of the international break Moat will be owner with Shearer at the helm! This would not be leaked with the “we won’t tell anyone we pinki swear” disclaimer! Its a typical bored journalist wanting to stir Newcastle fans that’s all!

    I just think both Moat and MA are wanting every I dotted and t crossed before it all happens! No rush in their eyes the loan transfer window is open for a while and its not as easy as passing the keys over and its all done!

    0
  • will die for the toon army

    Oct 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM

    Comment #23

    Its all abt patience. I want stability and look at the future with at least a half smile but at least I smile right now when I see we are on top of the table so that is what I care abt now.
    The sale will come if MA really wants to sell. Bring on Moat and The Yanks.

    0
  • hitman

    Oct 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

    Comment #24

    DC on ssn says these south africans have always been in for the club,plus there is a few more groups in for the club.anyone getting deja vue

    0
  • magpie6699

    Oct 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM

    Comment #25

    hitman – no, i’ve had deja vu before -it’s now treja vu!

    0
  • hitman

    Oct 7, 2009 at 9:28 AM

    Comment #26

    lol

    0
  • premier

    Oct 7, 2009 at 11:01 AM

    Comment #27

    Giraffing stock!!

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Oct 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM

    Comment #28

    See Premier is being his usual Dumb self….TW4T.

    0
  • Paul141726

    Oct 7, 2009 at 1:34 PM

    Comment #29

    Here we go again!!! To my mind, this is just the Ashley PR machine in top gear. All to later tell the fans that no serious bids met the valuation of the club and Mike will stay on. The whole situation has gone beyond ridiculous.

    0
  • Graeme

    Oct 7, 2009 at 2:05 PM

    Comment #30

    According to SSN we have 5 groups still interested in taking NUFC off FCB’s hands. Several did “Due Diligence” a while back, but made no formal offer at the time.

    Now things are settling down, the team is performing, we are top of the Fizzy Pop, a bid from one of the five is quite likely.

    Barry moat may not be the only game in toon afterall!!!

    0
  • newcastle29

    Oct 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM

    Comment #31

    Graeme.

    i’ve been saying for months now that there were bids in before moat was on the scene. ashley is just was just waiting the whole keegan thing out.

    The thing is no, the club is in a strong place in the league and he might be tempted to hold on till the end of the season and hope we are premoted.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.