Nile Ranger – A Future Newcastle Star In The Making?

As many fans had hoped, Nile Ranger has come through big time this season, and already has 12 appearances for the senior side with 6 starts.

nile ranger 192

Nile Ranger – a star in the making?

But of course it’s always hard to predict how these youngsters will fare as they mature.

You just have to look at Michael Chopra, who looked a winner until he was around 20 years old, but never made that final step into a top player in the Premier League. Although Michael is a top player in the Championship, with 12 goals so far this season.

So there will always be doubts about just how far a youngster can go.

Chris Hughton talked today about the renewed competition for the striker positions at the club, and specifically mentioned Nile:

“We have some real competition up-front now, with Marlon Harewood and Peter Lovenkrands coming in as well as Andy Carroll and, once he recovers from injury, Shola Ameobi.”

“I made the decision to start with Marlon and Peter at the weekend in order to freshen things up but Nile has been terrific since coming into the side. “

“He really has done well and we know that there are goals to come from him.” ” He has been unlucky on two or three occasions but what’s pleasing is that he has contributed so much to the team even without scoring.”

Ranger is currently in Slovenia with the England under-19 squad, and we expect him to be a starter for England, before heading back to Newcastle next week.

And Kevin Nolan, who seems to have taken it on himself to help the youngsters at Newcastle with his experience, has only good things to say about the 18 year-old Londoner.

Nolan said:

“Nile has been terrific,” “He and our other strikers must take a lot of the credit for my goals in giving me space to run into.”

“The great thing about this team is goals can come from anywhere. The likes of Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor are already off the mark and I’m sure for Nile, once he gets one they’ll start flooding in.”

The famous number 9 Newcastle shirt is available right now, and we shouldn’t give it to anybody until we see just how good this lad can become.

But going on the short14 months Nile has been on Tyneside, this lad looks like he can go to the top – the very top.

• coopertoon

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM

i like this lad a lot he will be a number 9 in a few years time but not just yet keep it up ranger your going to the top and i hope you bring the toon with you.

• Mags

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM

It is lovely to see the likes of Ranger, Krul etc., showing huge promise. However, we all know that our current owner’s stated policy is to buy young players and sell them on for a profit. So this does not necessarily bode well for our squad if the best players are continuously sold.

The sooner Ashley and his cohorts are out of Tyneside the better, but my fear is they will be around for a lot longer.

• Chris F

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:49 AM

lol bit early to be talking about the possibility of the number 9 shirt i think, Ed 😉

However, i do agree that Ranger has looked impressive for a youngster. Ok he’s not scored yet, but his movement is good, and he has played well up against some good defenders.

Definitely one ofr the future, in my eyes.

• harry861

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I agree that Ranger has made big impression on his games so far, the ground he covers & helps out in defence. Just needs to get start in getting a goal & goals which will soon come if they keep playing him.
    Ed talks about Chopra & I agree this league suits him. Shola Ameobi this is about his level & his work rate is poor never premier league player.

• sahota

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:15 AM

When will this FAT Mike run away….Oh my GOD I have never felt as stressful as I am feeling waiting for news that Mike has sold the club.

This is same game again and again. Put club for sale. Get SKY and some papers to report that 3-4 parties are interested. Then delay it somehow then take club off market. hushhhhhh

For what Mike is waiting for. What do I think? Will he Sell ????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Sav

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I tend to agree with Mags, Ed. Say it softly or FatAsh will flog Nile along with Krul (probably to his beloved Spurs like Bassong) in a further asset-stripping cull.

• Fresh

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:23 AM

In my opinion Nile is one of the best youngsters to be coming through at the minute and its good he is learning his trade but he needs more game especially at this level … for me though he is the only forward we have who brings other players into the game. I think carroll and harewood are quite selfish strikers which is not a problem but you need one to compliment the other and I think Nile does that. Goals are the only things lacking in his game but I am sure when he starts he wont stop.

As for Chopra I never think he was given a fair crack of the whip here. In fact I remember he played every game since he came on and started the 4-1 route against Sunderland and we finished 7th and got into Europe under Glen Roeder. He is proving it at this level how good he is and I think he may be able to step up now as he has matured as a striker. I mean 11 league goals in 11 games is excelling at this level I think.

I for one would quite like him back to give him that shot again. Maybe him and Ranger could forge and unstoppable partnership … but for now we can only wonder and imagine!

• RyanToon

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM

LETS NOT put pressure on Nile!

But Nile i think you can get at least 15 goals this season 😉

• dpb

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM

His scoring record in the Championship proves it – NO GOALS – definitley a toon centre forward in the making

• G

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM

good little grafter when I have seen him. His work rate reminds me of a certain Mr Shearer the way he will run into any position on the field to help the cause. Deffo one for the future like. Cant wait to see him score now.