The Many Words Of Joey Barton

Joey Barton has given a few interviews over the weekend and maybe for the first time he talks about his troubles and things he is thinking.

joey-barton-92

Joey Barton – long interviews given over weekend

Here are some of the (many) words from Joey, so at least he tells the story from his viewpoint, about his troubles, but doesn’t clear himself of the blame and responsibility for the problems he has caused – well not completely.

Here’s a long list of comments on various issues from Joey – but as a caution the interview is very very long:

“What they say about being in prison is true,”

“That moment when the door closes, time stands still. And for me 74 days felt like two years.”

“There’s not a man in there who’s not scared. There’s not a man in there who doesn’t regret it. You’re in there. You’re on your own. Everyone is at their lowest ebb. Prison is a great leveller. There’s no bull.”

“It’s not about what kind of car you’ve got because you’ve got nothing. It strips you of everything. I went from footballer wages at Newcastle to £7.50 a week. When we watched the Champions League final between Manchester United and Chelsea, we were betting Mars bars.”

“‘I had to have some kind of mental resilience to handle that. I went from being a rich man to having nothing. Everything is taken away, everything. The pillow in your bed isn’t the same. You can’t just run yourself a bath.”

“You don’t sleep when you’re in there. Especially when the geezer in the bunk below is a caveman, a chain smoker with no teeth, by the name of Chopper. That was his name, I swear, it was surreal.”

“But it made me get my priorities right. You could have told me until you were blue in the face that I was on a road to destruction and the penny would not have dropped. Until, that is, I went to jail. I never thought I’d be there. I thought, “I’m too high profile, I’ve only had a fight, I haven’t killed anyone”. And then I remember sitting there, thinking “******* hell, I’m in jail.”

“Although I can’t actually remember the last drink because I was pissed. The CCTV footage shows that. I’ve now gone almost two years without a drink. I went to AA meetings when I was in prison. And I hope I’ve gone some way to turning my life around. If I’m out of my brains at 5.30am in Liverpool city centre, I’m putting myself in a situation where a gang of scallies can have a go at me.”

“When I watch it (the CCTV footage) I feel like it’s not me. Like an out-of-body experience. You know it’s you but you watch it thinking anything could have happened. The circumstances and the ramifications of what could have happened are very scary. Someone could have killed me. I didn’t know who I was scrapping with. It could have been the hardest man in the world.”

“And remember, I’ve seen the whole incident. You’ve probably seen 40 seconds on YouTube. There was over 21 minutes of footage. There was a lot that went on there. There is a lot of regret and a lot of things I wish I’d done differently at the time.”

“But, hand on heart, for me to say I regret it would be to condone the behaviour of people towards me that night. Obviously I regret the consequences of it, I regret the anguish and hurt I caused to people, not just in my personal life but at the football club. People had stuck up for me – said I wasn’t as bad as a lot of people thought. And I spat it back in their faces.”

“I’ve never enjoyed the attention we sometimes get as footballers,’ ‘I’ve never been comfortable with the whole fame thing. I’m just a normal lad from a working class background who wanted to play football because I love it. I never got into it because I wanted to earn loads of money, have flash cars and go out with flash birds. That’s never been what it is about for me.”

“For me it’s about the football. I dedicate my life to being the best I can be. It hasn’t been plain sailing, sometimes when I’ve failed to control the things going on around me and sometimes because of things that are out of your control, like injuries. But it’s only ever the football for me.”

“That night I’m out with my cousin and my brother and someone comes up to me and asks me why I didn’t sign for Everton. How do you answer that? There’s not a right or wrong answer. You can’t win.”

“And then things are said. And I object because I wouldn’t go up to someone I didn’t know and start giving them a hard time. I’m a human being and when someone comes up to me and says derogatory things about me and my family, I am going to react. What doesn’t help, I realise, is that I’m out of my brains.”

“But I can’t sit here today and say that had it been 10 o’clock and had I been sober I would not have reacted exactly the same way. Maybe I would. Maybe I would have handled it better. But I can’t be sure. The best I can do is avoid the situations in the first place.”

“There’s no CCTV footage of that incident (Dabo) and had I not been in jail already I’d have stuck with my original “not guilty” plea.”

“But when you’ve been in jail you don’t want to go back and if you’re offered a lifeline and they tell you that if you plead guilty you won’t have to do any more jail, you take it. I didn’t feel I was guilty but I couldn’t risk another six months in jail. And I knew it would be down to a jury to decide and I had already been in jail for an assault that was played out in the media.”

“I felt people would have already formed an opinion of me. When I do something wrong it’s like I’ve committed mass genocide. In the end, I had to swallow my pride but I will go to my grave feeling I wasn’t guilty. That Ousmane was the aggressor.”

“In my eyes he (Dabo) was the aggressor. He was the one who turned and came towards me and I was just fortunate in that I was able to defend myself better than he was.”

“And where I’m from, if you throw one punch you’re in for a penny, in for a pound. I can’t just come up to you and throw one punch and then say, “Hang on a minute” when you punch me back. Which was the way Ousmane wanted it.”

“I knew when he was coming towards me he wasn’t coming to tickle me. We’ve obviously had words and I wasn’t prepared to take the chance and I defended myself. In my opinion he was the aggressor. Ousmane is not an aggressive lad, but he was the aggressor that day and it’s a deep regret of mine that I didn’t stick with the “not guilty” plea.'”

“I’ve never actually been much of a fighter,’ ‘I never boxed or anything like that. But where I’m from if you couldn’t defend yourself, you had your trainers nicked off you. Where I’m from there are no rules. If you pick a fight it doesn’t end until someone goes down.”

“I’m not going to sit here and blame my upbringing,” “I had a fine upbringing. You had to be tough and if I’d gone in the house crying and complaining that someone in the street had hit me, I’d be told to get back out there and sort it out. If they had beat me with their fists, I’d be told to pick up a stick.”

“Sadly, they settle disputes with more than that now. And the kids think that it’s like a computer game. If you press the start button they will just come back to life again. But it wasn’t violent in our house, no.”

Even Alan Shearer appears to have forgiven him for what happened at the end of last season.

They met again in the winner’s enclosure at Redcar when their horses finished first and third (Shearer’s won) in a race.

“The way he handled it was great,’ “He made a bee-line for me, I was taken aback to be honest, but he went up a lot in my estimation that day.”“When it got personal I had to say, “No, this isn’t right”,”

“So I stood up for myself. In hindsight I could have handled it differently. It would have been easier. But then Alan, in hindsight, would probably have handled it differently, too, and not said what he said 15 minutes after I’d been sent off in front of all the players.’

“I hope my best football is yet to come,’ ‘I was fortunate to get one England cap, but I am never going to be judged on football ability alone in the future and I have come to terms with that.”

“If it means I won’t play for England again then so be it, it is a consequence of the choices I have made.” “I am just going to be me, live the life I think is right, help the people who help me. Try and make the people who come across my path go away with a better opinion of me. I am on a hiding to nothing. You meet me and you think, “Yob, thug”. But over time I will try to change that.”

“Pete used to say if I give people a rose, they only see the thorns. That’s how it is going to be with me.”

“I have been face down in the s**t, at the lowest ebb I can get to, the flag as low on the mast as it can go and I am fighting now to get it back up.”

“Not by bending over backwards and trying to be the nicest guy in the world. People would say, “He’s phoney”. I will just try and be a better person. I already think I’ve come on leaps and bounds.”

“I could have pissed my career up the wall. I remember sitting in the holding cell waiting to go into court and there is all this graffiti on the walls. I’m just reading it when I see this message left by someone. “I don’t know why you are here, what you are here for but someone wants you to learn a lesson. Don’t be a fool and don’t put yourself in a position where you have to read this again to learn”. It was like someone had put something in my way. Like a light had come on.”

• inselaffe

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM

hope he really can grow as a person…

• stuart no9

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM

tosser

• Archie Brand

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:04 PM

He was sorry when he stubbed the cigar out in the kids eye.

He was sorry when he beat the crap out of Dabo.

He was sorry when he attacked the 15 year old fan.

He was sorry when he beat up the kid outside MacDonalds.

A bit of a sorry excuse for a human being, really.

Barton is a thug, on and off the field.
    Like anyone else of similar disposition – either learn to control your temper, or if that is not possible, remove yourself from the situations that make you flip.

Barton is just a bad tempered child who will ultimately self destruct.
    Why should we provide the venue?

Rather than picking on 15 year olds, or drunks I’d love to have seen him throw a temper tantrum with the likes of Vinnie Jones.
    Dabo may be a bit bigger but he was only challenging Barton for a bad tackle. How many times do we see french players go nose to nose? Barton sucker-punched him.
    The man’s a coward.
    I’d guess that 90% of you reading this were all for him being canned 18 months ago. But now that his roughy toughy style is acceptable in the CCC, we’ve conveniently forgotten.

Just out of interest – are we supposed to feel sorry for him or what? He was rich, then he’s only on 7.50 a week. So what do you think you were going to spend your 60 grand a week on in prison, Joey?
    you still had enough to place bets though.

Sorry the man’s a clown.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Always stuck up for Joey…He needs to let his feet do the talking he has been Plop since we signed him and needs to get back to playing good Football.

I don’t recall seeing much of that since he arrived.
    Come on Joey this time get it right!
    FFSake.

• UTD111

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Wonder who would win in a match between the 2 scouse thugs – Barton and Gerrard…..

• Tino 11

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:49 PM

“But where I’m from if you couldn’t defend yourself, you had your trainers nicked off you.”

Made me chuckle!

• tomleazes

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:05 PM

We all make mistakes in life,especially,I suppose,in our younger days.
    I would therefore,grudgingly,be prepared to forgive & move on etc,but the incident with the cigar….no. Can’t forgive anybody for that.
    I would like Mr Barton to leave our club.

• punk skunk...

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I’m with SJT!..
    …Ho’way Joey, sort it out man!..

• Hugh Jorgan

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:05 PM

A candid statement by Joey Barton.

Would we be bettter rid of him, or should we hang fire ?

There’s no doubt in my mind that he is a great footballer, but also moron and a thug.

However I think we should let him prove what an asset he could be, rather than dump him.

• Hugh Jorgan

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I can see that fat florid faced Geordie turncoat Steve Bruce getting the most out of Barton.
    Now that is a very good reason not to sell !

• Toon_Factor

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM

“I’ve never actually been much of a fighter,’ ‘I never boxed or anything like that”

Oh really,

• magpie6699

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM

It’s not the many words of Barton – it’s the many deeds that’s the problem.
    Out!

• Ross

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Toon_Factor- lol, to be fair that was just a publicity thing like, hence the reason its Hatton holding the bag for him. Probably not the best to send along to take part though! Maybe he was Hattons favourite player, who knows.

• will die for the toon army

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I love Barton and will always do. He is our best CM.

• batty

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM

will die for the toon army // Oct 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I love Barton and will always do. He is our best CM
    <<<<<well if he is dont expect us to get promoted hes plop never had a good game for us

• Stuart79

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM

batty // Oct 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM

will die for the toon army // Oct 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I love Barton and will always do. He is our best CM

He had a good game against Hartlepool in a pre season friendly once.

• batty

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM

soz stu forgot aboot that 1 lol

• shrews mag

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:37 PM

will die for the toon army // Oct 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM

“I love Barton and will always do. He is our best CM”

How can you love this scum?

He is not as good a player as everyone thought before he came here … city we quite pleased to get rid of him remember … and they couldn’t believe that a club would pay silly money for a complete loser.

… and by the way … he’s not in my opinion anywhere near the best CM player at the club.

Get rid asap please … we do not need this scum infesting the changing room any longer …

• batty

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM

aye shrews mag we wont miss him never plays any way and when he has hes been shite

• Tino 11

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:55 PM

He’s never showed his form for us that he had at Man City, on paper he is our best midfielder but the reality is he’s never showed anywhere near his potential or even a run of decent form, i’m sick of us keeping players just because they might play like they used to.

• batty

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Tino 11 spot on m8 and happy 5oth bday for the other day

• Tino 11

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Cheers Batts, although your 20 years too early!

• Big Dave

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Lads he is our player what can we do we still need to back him when he has the shirt on. In someways I can understand but not justify what he has done. Drink can do some real strange things with some people and I speak from experience I have done alot of things that I am ashamed off but thankfully I have been dry for the last 9 yrs . and I know I for one could not stand and listen to somebody coming of with vile insults about my family.

• will die for the toon army

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM

He had his best time under keagan the first time we survived relegation and he was on fire.

• magpie6699

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Points:
    1. He is a vicious thug and I wish he had never come near our club
    2. He has been less available than Michael Owen or Marcelino with injuries and he’s costing us a fortune
    3. He has had hardly any decent games for us when he has played but is happy to criticise the other players on the park and fight with the managers
    4. If anyone is stupid enough to pick him however, I will NOT boo him while he is in the shirt and I will hope that he plays well for us.
    5. But whatever – I still want him out of this club

• Partizan

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM

WDFTTA….I always like him aswell,,,but not ANYMORE.

When it comes to English players you guys seem to close your eyes for many many things,if a foreign player did only 10% of what Barton did,i can only imagine the epilogue.

He’s bad for the team…..f..k him.

• Big Dave

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM

magpie6699 I would rather we didnt have him BUT who would take him I dont believe the sh1te you read about other teams after him, I honestly think we are stuck with him.

• Partizan

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:11 PM

OMG,the Croats are absolutelly furious and they’re saying that you guys deliberatly lost only to revenge them for Euro 2008.

• DJG

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I think if he wrote a book it would be somewhat more readable than the other non-entities.

• stuart no9

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM

RIGHT for all you lads out there who ,for some bizzare reason actually think JB is a “great” player , what has he produced for nufc , to wow us fans?

• Shot Bru

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM

What an absolute wafflefest from a player who likes the sound of his own voice. Do yourself a favour Barton and concentrate on playing football for a change before it’s too late, after all thats what we pay you to do.

• Yorkie Dave

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Im just booking my tickets for the doncaster game, aint been for a while. Where is best to sit nowadays?? want to sing my heart out for the lads can someone help

• AndyNUFC

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Shot, I remember a BBC documentary with him talking on it and he sounded philosophical but in the sense of light shines out his back end. “Destined for greater things… a higher calling in life” I seem to remember being along the lines of how he spoke.

He can be a good player – but hasn’t done it on a consistent basis yet.

All his mistakes are now done, documented and history. Do we sack him now? What’s the point?

Think though seriously, if all players in our midfield are on top form, we have an unbelievably good midfield, including Barton. Jonas, Barton, Guthrie, Smith, Nolan – all premier league quality on their day. They just have to turn it up on a consistent basis.