Malmo Deny Newcastle Interest In Star Striker


Swedish club Malmo have today said they have had no contact at all from Newcastle for their star Nigerian striker Edward Ofere.

Edward Ofere 2

Edward Ofere – are Newcastle interested?

It was the News Of The World that had reported Newcastle’s interest in the player two days ago, and at 6’3″ the 23 year-old looks a decent prospect.

Edward has scored seven goals this season, and reports in Sweden claim a January move could be on the cards for the big lad, who is also very fast.

However, Malmo officials today have said there is no truth in the rumors put out by the NOTW (that’s a surprise), and insist there has been no contact with Newcastle.

Malmo chairman Pelle Svensson told Fotbolldirekt today:

“Newcastle will have to contact us so we can see what they have to offer,”

“We haven’t heard from Newcastle yet but it is easy to understand that the interest is big for him, even if it so far has been silent from interested clubs.”

Translation – we are very interested in selling this player for as much as we can get.

It will be interesting to see if any money is made available to Chris Hughton in the summer, if Mike Ashley is still at the club by then, heaven forbid.

He may want to look good by giving Chris say £5M for new players, but you just never know what Ashley is thinking, since he never talks to Newcastle fans, or anybody else for that matter.

What a way to run a football club.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

10 comments so far

  • batty

    Oct 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM

    Comment #1

    6

    0
  • ToonTonic

    Oct 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

    Comment #2

    Wewt, Id like him at the club..but would like to see some more reports on him 1st.

    0
  • G

    Oct 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

    Comment #3

    Anybody seen him play? We need a scouting report from some scandanavian bloggers?

    0
  • Bill F

    Oct 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM

    Comment #4

    As the January transfer window approaches we will see a lot of this speculation and rumour. Personally I want to see an approach made for Messi, Ibrahamovitch, Cambiasso, Ronaldo and other similar players. the alleged £5m warchest should just about cover all of them, shouldn’t it?

    0
  • newcastle29

    Oct 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM

    Comment #5
  • G

    Oct 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM

    Comment #6

    @newcastle29… are you secretly Dennis Wise, scouting players with youtube? lol

    0
  • C

    Oct 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM

    Comment #7

    Thank god for that, he isn’t good enough for Newcastle. Especially since I hope we are not aiming for relegation battle next year if we go up.

    0
  • premier

    Oct 13, 2009 at 12:39 PM

    Comment #8

    if he comes with a fee attached unlikely to join

    0
  • lesh

    Oct 13, 2009 at 1:57 PM

    Comment #9

    Agreed premier…. and what good’s £5m when there’re the loanees like Simpson to buy.

    0
  • Sav

    Oct 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM

    Comment #10

    Howay, Ed, what sort of BS is this – “and at 6?3? the 23 year-old looks a decent prospect”. Would Wee Hughie have become a legend if we measured our no.9s with a tape measure?
    1. Its the NOTW.
    2. This lad hasn’t a great goalscoring record.
    3. He’s only playing in the Swedish League (no disrespect to any Swedes reading this).
    4. Do we need another Chamnpionship level striker right now?
    5. Do you really think FatAsh is going to part with £5 million in January, let alone on an unproven player in the wrong position?

    Neither do I.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.