Hughton Concentrates On Each Game As If It Were His Last

It’s hard to argue with Chris Hughton’s record or the job he has done at Newcastle 4 months and he has been rewarded with successive Championship Manager of the Month awards.

chris hughton _1467444c

Chris Hughton – just carries on as usual

If this record had been achieved by say Alan Shearer, everybody would have been gushing what a great manager he was, but the credits have been a little muted for Chris, as Newcastle fans still wonder if the good start to the season can be maintained.

Certainly after the complete and utter mess that owner Mike Ashley brought onto the famous club over the summer, the start so far has been little short of miraculous, to be honest.

And Chris today again talked about the uncertainty that has surrounded both him, the players and the club since he took over as interim manager on July 1st:

“None of us know what is going to happen next week or the week after, so it allows me to focus on each individual game as if it will be my last,”

“I’m enjoying doing this job, but there is no permanent position to apply for, so there is no point in worrying about the future.”

“My position is likely to alter if the ownership of the club changes, but that has been the situation for some time. I’m comfortable with the way things are just now and with the results going well, it has been an enjoyable experience so far.”

“You read things in the newspaper every day about what might or might not happen with the owners, but I cannot worry about it. To be honest, they don’t have to tell me what is going on off the field because I am employed to work as a coach at Newcastle and to try and get results on the field. What happens off the field is none of my business.”

“Am I surprised by how well we have done? I didn’t really know what to expect when we started pre-season training in the summer, but I felt things were moving in the right direction by the time we played our first game at West Bromwich Albion.”

“It was good to start in a high profile game against a fellow relegated side as it meant the dip in the level we are playing at didn’t seem quite so big, but the test was always going to come against the hardened Championship sides. So far, we have done okay in those games, but we all know there is a hell of a long way to go.”

“It feels great to be sitting on top of the table, but the amount of games in this league means these are still very early days. I could be forgiven for thinking I’m doing okay at the moment, but someone mentioned we still have 35 league games and 105 points still to play for.”

“On that basis, being top in October doesn’t mean too much. We have to keep our feet on the floor and make sure we don’t think we have cracked it just yet.”

And if the club is sold and a new manager comes in, while we’d like to see Chris and his assistant Colin Calderwood stay on Tyneside, Hughton has done more than enough to confirm he would be a worthy candidate for a full-time management position elsewhere and we think he’s get offers from other clubs to come in as manager.

But if that does eventually happen it would be a huge risk for the club since there would be no guarantee at all that Newcastle’s form would continue under a new manager, who would impose a different playing style on the lad This is one of the things that was wrong last season as we had 5 changes in management during the season. Will we never learn?

You would think that would be as crazy move by the club, but don’t forget this is Newcastle, after all.

Chris continued:

“I have this caretaker tag before my name, but I have started to feel like the Newcastle boss in the last few weeks and the results we are getting cannot have done my reputation as a manager any harm at all,”

“Being the top man at a club is a stressful position and I have found the workload pretty intense at times, but I have started to enjoy it more and more as the results have come for us. The rewards for a victory are fantastic when you are a manager and hopefully we have plenty more of those to look forward to over the course of this season.”

“Who knows how long I will stay in this job, but I’ll enjoy the ride while I’m here.”

Quite honestly we would be happy for Chris and Colin to remain in charge for the full season now because, as we’ve said before, why fix something that just isn’t broken?

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I think CH & CC have done an outstanding job, however, I would feel far more comfortable with a permanent manager. I feel like a bit of a judas for saying this, but I don’t think CH is the permanent solution. I would love to see an established solid manager in for the job. I doubt Shearer is the answer too. My personnal feeling is that I would like to see Steve Coppell in the job.

• dougnufc

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Chris Hughton deserves the job, I believe if he can get us back to the Premier League he would be decent in the top flight as he would have gained a season of experience.

• batty

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM

G howay man coppel woudnt laqst 5 mins in the toon job

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM

It wouldn’t be pretty to watch, but to be fair, gone are the days where we could field Ginola, Shearer, Asprilla etc… I just think it would be far more stable, if a little unspectacular. I would accept stability and boredom over the worry of relegation and financial meltdown any day!

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:45 AM

On the plus side for CH & CC, I think if we do appoint an outside manager, they would have to be mad not to give them both permanent jobs on the coaching staff. Part of me would love to CH get the job full time, and succeed, but both my heart and head tell me he will be doomed to failure. I would happily be proved wrong on that point though.

• belfast toon

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Gordon Strachan for me if Shearer is not to given a chance.

• Bigbadbob

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I associate Hughton and Calderwood with Ashley and his cheapskate regime, i should give him credit like everyone else but i want them all gone.
    They are piecing together and patching up, playing players out of position and getting away with it because the league we are in is mediocre at best.
    The club needs to turn a new page and start again with a new board and management team, Hughton is tactically inept and too easy influenced by the likes of Butt and co, sorry to disagree with most but its complete regime change for me.

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:37 PM

A valid argument bigbadbob, but I think overhauling all of the management structure would do more damage than good. Regardless of who gave who a job, I feel a bit of stability is needed. I agree that CH is tactically inpet though, which is why I believe he should not be appointed full time manager. I would still keep him as a coach though.

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM

@belfast toon, I would only ever employ Gordon Strachan just to here some more of his amusing sound bites, I quote:
    Sky Pundit: Gordan, can we have a quick word?
    Strachan: Velocity (then walks away)
    Classic

• Davey Falcus

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:40 PM

G // Oct 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Be fair to Coppell though G, when he was at Reading they played quality football, it’s just the man himself that is ridiculously boring, but then again Shearer ain’t exactly the most exciting personality in the world for those who still want him in.

I agree with Belfasttoon. I wouldn’t mind seeing Strachan in a he’s a proven manager, his teams play decent football and he has a good character. But the likelihood of that happening is about the same as me pooping out solid gold turds, especially while MA is still running the club.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I am with Bob on this…I think the championship is pretty dire this season and we are top of what are a clueless bunch of poor teams.

Chris has done an OK job granted,but most games have been very stale,scrappy affairs and lacking any real footballing craft if we be really truthful.

We need a new regime,including a whole new management and training structure if we are to move forwards in the next couple of years…this current team with it’s current owner and manager and players would be made a laughing stock next season of we manage to get promoted.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I would have Ketsbia Tomorrow if he was given enough backing and left alone to get on with the Job.

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

@ Davey Falcus – Still not sure of Strachan’s capability as manager, he seemed to lose the plot at Coventry, then got it back at Celtic for a while, then his bubble seemed to burst again. I wouldn’t be completely unhappy if it was him, but I would rather see Coppell than Strachan personnally. Good luck on the prospecting for wealth with the bowel movements though Davey, and watch out for fools-gold, also known as last nights sweetcorn!

• sirjasontoon

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Strachan maybe but not enthralling,Coppell i think he would find it hard going at Newcastle and 10 times more pressurized than Reading.

He only works on a rolling one year contract as well,due to his depressions.

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Ketsbia is a good shout SJT, and he’s just about crazy enough to want the job!

• sirjasontoon

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Yeah I miss Ketsbia….proper headcase and loves the Toon.

I think CH will remain in limbo until the end of the season when the club is sold for more money if we are promoted.

Failing promotion then Mike will let the club go for a song and get out pretty sharpish.

The saga is far from over,just got to hold tight for now.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM

RE The sale….Mike would be a plank to sell now….if he gets us promoted he stands to almost treble the £100m current asking price…that is why I think the sale rumors are all made up and an excuse not to sign perm players and continue stripping the club of assets.

I may be wrong but it’s just what I think.

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Well, you are not alone with that opinion SJT. Myself, and most of my circle of friends are of the same school of thought. I hope to be wrong with it, but we shall see.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Just want to see the back of Mike now…really has strangled the club,betrayed and lied to the fans and asset stripped the squad to almost bare bones.

I mean not appointing a perm manager in over a year is hideous,nobody trying to maintain a successful business would do that type of thing.

• G

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Cheer up SJT, after all, looking at Mike’s lifestyle, along with his pysical size, he is only a couple of pints away from a heart attack! Not a nice thought about anybody I know, but it keeps me smilling through the agony.

• Nobby_Long

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I find all this talk of giving the job to Hughton permanently to be hugely depressing.

We are doing fairly well at the moment, we are top of the league, but should be more points clear. We have rode our luck a lot and just had a littl be bit more quality than the opposition at key moments.

However, there is no doubt this is a poor league, and therefore that must cloud Hughton’s acheivements to a degree.

Anyway, I can’t see any such appointment while the ‘For Sale’ signs are up….and as for Butt’s soundbites……….utter tosh.

As for the sale……well Ashley might keep stalling for a while, but in all honesty I can’t seethe value of the club being that much more should we get promoted.

Firstly, any owner needs to invest heavily as the current playing squad would imo strguggle badly in the premier league.

Secondly, having such a low qulity squad means the risk of being relegated again must be still quite high, therefore the extra income form TV money is only guaranteed for 12 month (plus another parachute) & expecially sponsorship & corporate hospitality will not be overly more, beacuse no-one will wnat to be tied to a big bucks long term deal until we have regained stability in the top flight.

Therefore I cannot see anyone being will to pay more than £150m and even that might be stretching things.

just my thoughts.