We were told that Barry Moat put in an official bid for Newcastle a week last Monday and he was waiting for a response from Mike Ashley.
Ashley and Moat – Barry just doesn’t have the money
And earlier in the week we were told that Geoff Sheard, who is said to be fronting a bid from the Starr Group of NY, had also officially put in a bid for the club, and expected a response later in the week.
And what have we heard about these bids – nothing.
If the bids are in fact below the £100M being asked, we expect Ashley to reject them, and since Barry Moat has spent weeks and weeks trying to get the money together so he can bid less than the £100M being asked – we have to assume he just doesn’t have the money.
But Barry’s chance to buy the club will go up in smoke if he isn’t successful now – because if Mike keeps the club and we do get promoted, there’s just no way Barry will be able to pay the £200M the club will be worth in the summer.
And Mike isn’t completely daft either, and he’ll know if he keeps the club until the summer then he’ll get around double the £100M for the club in the case we get promoted.
But then next summer will be more turmoil on Tyneside as Mike again puts the club on the chopping block – for a third time.
Is there no limit to the mess this man can create at Newcastle?
We hope the club is sold soon, but we just don’t see any significant bids going in for the £100M it will take to sway Ashley to finally sell. Why not? – we have no idea.
And failing that expect Mike – at some point of his own choosing – to tell Newcastle fans exactly what they don’t want to hear – that he is keeping the club.