Kevin Keegan Psychologically Scarred By Ashley Affair

It seems that Kevin Keegan is really upset that his claim against Newcastle United has indeed caused a rift between him and the Geordie fans, which he fears will never be repaired.

kevin-keegan-3282

Kevin Keegan – claimed £25M from Newcastle

It seems like the thing that shocked Newcastle fans the most was that he didn’t just claim the 3 years salary left on his existing contract (£9M) – but he also claimed about £16M for the stigma that his dismissal caused, and that was an estimate for earnings lost through the time he would turn 65.

That’s what most Newcastle fans didn’t like.

The club is not in a good financial state right now, and that claim from Kevin came at just the wrong time in terms of public relations.

What did come out of the tribunal was that Kevin was put in an extremely difficult position by Ashley, and he did not have control of the transfers, even though Ashley and the Newcastle Board were saying in public that he did. They were lying in public basically, as detailed by the Tribunal.

A source close to the 58-year-old Kevin, who is now an analyst for ESPN, but still wants to get back to management said to the News Of The World today:

“He has taken it all very hard. He looked at message boards and has been very hurt. He has taken all the criticism personally.”

“Some fans have turned on him because of the figures that were released.”

“He never wanted to leave – that has been forgotten. The situation was horrendous. He has been psychologically scarred by what has happened. He knows now his relationship with the fans has been damaged.”

Keegan was awarded £2M by the Premier League Manager’s arbitration tribunal, and is now expected to claim a second amount from the Newcastle club, for the £1.5M costs associated with the case, which he is expected to win.

But as far as the club is concerned, it could have come out a lot worse, in terms of the money they had to pay to Kevin, so we were all hoping that the decision would help the club now be sold.

We’re still hoping. 😀

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Well, he always seems fine on ESPN! Yet more paper talk i reckon!

• MacToon

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Can someone (who knows) start one of these on line petitions and get it sent to the FA?

Smething about our owner being an un-fit owner who admits to:

“The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally
    misled the press, public and the
    fans of Newcastle United.”

• MacToon

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM

BTW this club IS this owner, sole owner!

• Hugh Jorgan

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:10 PM

There you go MacToon
    Here’s the link to start your on line petition.
    It’s free too !

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:10 PM

MacToon – I replied in another thread about the petition. I just said i very much doubt it would do anything anyway!

• MacToon

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM

toonsy, just more pressure on this useless git, his other businesses are under pressure so just thought doing something would be better than strolling upto the gates every home game and lining his pockets.

Just a helpless situation………

• MacToon

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Ta for the link Hugh, just being lazy and thought some IT-literate would set one up in minutes 🙂

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Catch 22 though. I dont want to line fatboy’s pockets, but i also dont want to stop going to games and showing my support to the players. I’ll be fcuked if that fat cnut stops me from doing something i enjoy* and that i have done for years. NUFC and I were here before Ashley, and NUFC and I will be here after Ashley.

* enjoy is a relative term lol 😉

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM

MacToon – Perhaps you could see if Ed would start one up? He has an IT background with IBM and can reach a lot of people via this very site…… just a thought.

• MacToon

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I’m sure it would easily gather pace if we spread it around a few sites, Ed’s alone is over 22 million hits lol, admittedly most are mine and probably urs 🙂

10,000 plus names I think would be achievable
    , also a better word-smith than me would do a much better job 🙂

• MacToon

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I understand the catch-22 situation but for me, my choice is simple and that’s not to give this guy a penny of my money and believe me it’s killing me, can’t even go to the shop or even face going into a NUFC shop let alone a game.

This is my choice and I have no qualms about anyone going to the match at all but I’d feel like a mug if I did and I like to practice what I preach.

It’s diificult, support the team with 40,000 + attendances but at the same time the owner’s smurking because he gets away with murder, lies to us, destroys the team and treats “Geordie” legends with contempt. I will follow my team ’til the day I die but I’m having an enforced sabatical while this guy is still here.

• Fostino

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM

poor keegan, the couple million compensation isnt enough..de only losers in this whole scandelous saga are the FANS

• Big Dave

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I think KK has been scarred by it all especially when some Fans with short memories turned on him rather than fat ass ash. I can understand it in away but I for one will never hold it against KK.
    Ed > It will cost Newcastle £3.5M in total – and notice again this is the Newcastle club that is paying – not Mike Ashley – as some papers continue to erroneously report.

Ed please remember in this case Mike Ashley is Newcastle. I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that you have started to take every chance possible to condemn and blame it all on KK. I do respect that you have your own opinions but MA is the real villian in all this

• big bob

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:16 PM

keegan will be gutted about what happened as he loved the club he is the only manager other then robson who knows what this club means to the fans its a shame fat ash didnt do his research before he bought the club
    i for one wont be going to a match this season while he remains in charge people bleep on about wanting change but the only way to get change is by stop lining this mans pockets
    if 40000 turn up every week he will be raking in about 750 000 to 1 million every game not bad for a championship club why sell this club on cheap when the wage bill is now low and the income generated is good

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM

bigbob – A wage bill of nearly £40 million is not low compared to any other teams in this league, or half the teams in the prem! Admittedly it is a lot lower than it was like.

• big bob

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM

toonsy
    no other team in the league can get near 40000 in gates so thats why our wage bill should be higher then other teams in the league

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM

bigbob – Gate reciepts arent guaranteed though!

• Big Dave

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Toonsy dont forget why are wage bill is bigger we have so many EPL players

• Big Dave

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Big Bob what happened Bad

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Big Dave // Oct 18, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I understand that mate. All im saying is that although the wage bill is half of what it was, its still far higher than it should be for this league. Thats why its imperative we get out of it this season!

• chuck

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Yeah, well three and a half million should take care of any psychological scarring, i expect.

• p doff

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Mactoon_ am in the same boat, stop lining the fat mans pockets.
    re keagan_ does any one remember the abuse dished out to him from a majority of the fans when he walked the first time. He is now a saint according to some.

• dave 1961

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:24 PM

so many people turned on Keegan over this case but stayed silent over wise still getting paid,we might find out one day that Joe 4 wins was also paid, Ashly astounds me, he appoints Keegan treats him like dirt, wise buys rubbish players treat well, Shearer treat like dirt, Kinnear treat well, Ashley’s a puzzle, i cant solve, he makes no sense at all, he only seems to have time for hangers on & leaches.

• Big Dave

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:30 PM

chuck I never hear anyone go on about the 4mill that BSA got without having to fight for it. But still KK get slated for it

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM

dave 1961 // Oct 18, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I think the problem with Ashley is that he is secretly insecure and therefore has to surround himself with kiss asses and yes men such as Wise, Jimenez, Llambias, Kinnear, Hughton. You know, the types who are happy to be walked over and still butt kiss afterwards!

• dave 1961

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM

i just cant turn on Keegan as i have a long memory and i will not forget what he did for our club, and although i believe every one’s entitled to their opinions over this we as fans of nufc have always been renowned for standing by our own. anyways i have to have a rest now as i am tired, as i have a shortage of the red stuff.

• komfort

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM

toonsy i agree , just like stardust & batty….it’s painful to watch..some people have no self-respect.

• NewcastleMole

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Ashley is holding onto the club until we get promoted (This Season Hopefully). So all this talk of Consortium after Consortium at Due Diligence is irrelevant. The club may well be on the market but Ashley isnt going to be selling anytime soon unless somebody overpays which is unlikely.

Its been said by some fellow fans and its true Mike Ashley has sucked the life out of our once great club.

Who Remembers the 5-Year Plan?

“In five years’ time I would hope we would be challenging for everything.
    We hope to be like an Aston Villa.”

We were like Villa if not better at the time, however the statement now looks correct as it will prob take that time to get close to Villa again.

Such is our fall from grace

• GeordieLander

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Has everybody viewed the online News of the World story regarding Keegan and Blogs. The story is probably untrue however comments left include the following from none other than : STARDUST !! :-
    ————————————————————
    “Most of the geordie fans still seem to back Keegan. Only the gullible idiots, most of who dont go to games, have fallen for the spin by Ashley and his cronies.
    One blog written by a so called Newcastle fan who is based in America is particularly responsible for this pro Ashley – anti Keegan hype.”
    By Stardust. Posted October 18 2009 at 12:00 AM.
    ————————————————————
    Surely this cannot be our very own Stardust?????
    The condecending little man who peppers the blogs with Anti-Keegan propoganda.
    If the newspaper story is true it will no doubt be Stardust who has upset Keegan ! Shameful!
    He then goes on to have a dig at this blog….. Unbelievable ! Hidden agendas or what !
    However, my main question is for Stardust himself !
    How do you know how the Geordie Fans who attend the games feel ? Batty names you as ‘Keith’ and I have it on good authority that you are NOT a season ticket holder. The closest you come to the Supporters of NUFC is online and through your Keyboard you sad little man !

• GeordieLander

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Comments welcome !

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:02 PM

GeordieLander – No comments needed 😉

• Mag 48

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I decided last year at this time to withdraw my support at the end of the season . It was’nt easy as I’m 70 and have supported Nufc for as long as I can remember.Of course I miss it but I don’t miss the 600 mile round trips.I used to quite like this blog Till Ed and a few more started the hate Keegan campaign.You don’t have to like him but most of your reasons where lies.If people can turn on the likes of Keegan with such vile comments It makes it easier for me to regard the Newcastle United I knew as dead.I think things will get much worse before they get better.I wish you luck!
    Howay the Lads

• Big Dave

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM

GeordieLander // Oct 18, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Comments welcome !

I wouldnt hold my breath 😉

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Mag 48 – Dont give up the faith because of a few assholes mate. NUFC is bigger than them all and for every asshole there is at least 10,000 decent, genuine fans.

• GeordieLander

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Thats sad to hear Mag48 but lets be fair, ultimately it’s not about Keegan, Ashley, Ed, Blogs or even stardust.
    It’s about supporting Newcastle United and the City.
    The Club has been around for over a Century and Owners & Managers come and go. The spirit of the City of Newcastle must survive as it is unique and personified in Newcastle United…..
    44000 fans on a Wednesday night against Sheff Wed.. Unbelievable.
    Howay the Lads.

• Shot Bru

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Mag 48 i know many older fans in particular who have vowed never to return after the way Keegan was treated by the current owner, who by the way i reckon has a personality disorder. On another note my brother and a couple of mates who work in Russia and Kazakhstan reckon some wealthy businessman was about to buy the club earlier this year, but was advised that he wouldn’t pass the fit and proper persons test so withdrew his interest. Pretty ironic considering who we have in charge at the moment.

• ginkoh

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Keegan is not here anymore. Now it’s the story about shame Ashley, someone who want to buy the club (If have) and our sad Newcastle United Football Club.

Whatever will be, will be.

• gaja

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM

When the “Keegan wants £25M” story first broke, I dismissed it as Ashley / Lambias propoganda. When the Tribunals findings were published, like many I was surprised and disappointed to learn that it was true. Now that the dust has settled a bit, I think it does actually make sense.

In any such conflict where lawyers get involved, both sides tend to make exaggerated claims. After his initial statement via the Managers Association, KK kept a dignified silence. Meanwhile, the club leaked various stories thru’ their own website and the media to undermine his credibility and integrity.

KK’s main concern was for the truth to come out in public, i.e. that he was effectively forced out rather than him resigning for no good reason. The Tribunal unequivicably found in KK’s favour and he was vindicated. He then agreed to drop the £25M claim, so long as the Tribunal’s judgement was published in full, to clear his name.

The club could have vetoed the publishing of the Tribunal’s findings as it obviously made them look very bad. However, they were effectively forced to agree to it being published. Had they insisted on the full details being kept secret, KK’s reputation would have still been greatly tarnished. He could then have persisted with the claim for damages to his future job prospects. The Tribunal might well have awarded him much more than the £2M that he did get. The club could not risk this.

Altho’ the claim for £25M from KK’s side was excessive, it was necessary to give them the leverage required to force the other side to agree to the evidence being released to the public. Without it, the full story would never have come out. They would have had to announce the verdict, but not the details of the evidence.

Like KK himself said, even tho’ he won his case there are no real winners. Ashley and his cronies are totally discredited, KK’s out of the job he loved and worst of all the club got relegated! The club can recover and will.

As for KK, like most fans of my generation (early 80’s onwards), he gave us the best times of our lives — as a player and a manager. I’ll always remember him fondly. He’s not perfect, not The Messiah but he was the next best thing!! It seems to be the fashion these days to be cynical but I am still disappointed that some NUFC fans buy into the KK’s a ‘quitter’ media stereo-type. Sure he’s got a history of resigning but it’s always been for sound reasons. He’s basically a decent, honest guy (yes, I have met him) who has some principles. Not many of them around these days, in football generally but especially at NUFC!!

• BlacknWhite Barmy

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Im in the AShley out at any cost boat – the only way he will respond is if he has to dip his hand in his pocket to fund the club – with you 1M gate receipts he can quite happily sit out the ‘get out of our club’ brigade and wait for an offer on his terms – a few empty houses and the pressure will build on him to go

• toonsy

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Shot Bru // Oct 18, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Did you not know? Anyone can pass that test, providing you have enough money and a big enoiugh brown envelope 🙂