It’s Now Or Never For Barry Moat

Mike Ashley has confirmed he will give Barry Moat just one week to come up with the £80M up front, if he is to buy the Newcastle club.

mike ashley barry moat

Ashley and Moat – give me £80M up front
And Mike has also said he will appoint Chris Hughton as Newcastle United’s permanent manager if Barry Moat doesn’t come up with the goods.

In the Sunday Times yesterday Ashley publicly cast doubts on Moat’s ability to raise the necessary funds to buy the club.

Apparently Barry wants to pay £40M up front and another £40M at the end of the season.

Moat is to meet with his backers again this week to ask them to give him their money in one lump sum, and is said to still be confident he can complete the deal. But he’s about the only one who is confident.

We have our doubts because if Moat is having this amount of trouble coming up with £80M, where would the money come from to strengthen the squad, so we can move forward in January and in the summer?

Ashley has every right to be increasingly frustrated at the delay.

And it seems that Mike has no thoughts at all of bringing in Alan Shearer as manager again, as he said yesterday:

“Chris deserves a shot at the title – he has done a great job, but if I keep the club I will have the final say on players. I am the one who has to fund the club.”

“Barry Moat has been driving me mad for two years. If he wants to buy the club he has a one-off opportunity to come up with the cash – £80M up front.”

“I have to put £20M a year into the club. I spend more money then every fan put together puts into the club each year. If you cannot pay up front to buy the club, you cannot afford it.”

Mike could do himself a lot of good by talking to the press more often, so we the fans get some idea of what he’s thinking.

And not surprisingly Ashley regrets ever getting involved with Newcastle United:

“Of course I regret it. I never said I was an expert in football club”‘

‘”I tried my best, but I accept my best was woefully short.”

There’s nothing wrong with an owner not knowing much about football, but the intelligent owner brings people in who know how to run a club, and Mike hasn’t done that.

If he does stay he would be well advised to bring in a Chairman with some experience of running a big club, and put Derek Llambias out to pasture.

We may then look a decently run club, wouldn’t that be a change for the better?

• toonsy

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Come on Barry, lets see some action! You’ve been been waiting for the price to drop for months now!

• ronaldeano

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:40 AM

From NUFC.COM……..

Latest quotes from Mike Ashley that appear in the Sunday Times – roughly akin to the deranged world domination rantings of a Bond film baddie:

“I have to put £20m a year into the club — I spend more than every other fan put together puts into the club each year*. If you can’t pay up front to buy the club, you can’t afford it.

“Chris (Hughton) deserves a shot at the title — he has done a great job. But if I keep the club I will have the final say on players. I am the one who has to fund the club.

“Of course I regret it (buying NUFC). I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short.”

In other words….

a bloke who wishes he wasn’t here and knows nothing about football will decide who to sign and sell (doubtless with more advice from cronies of the type that brought us both Championship football and a tribunal hearing in 2009).

Chris Hughton has the job title of manager/puppet and rather than praising supporters for backing the club at the turnstiles, there’s a handy reminder that they and their cash count for nowt. Another expression of contempt, following on the from “public relations” lies about Keegan and the infamous “110% for Shearer” MD quotes.

* We suggest that Ashley needs a new calculator or financial advisor for Christmas. If we average 40,000 for 25 games (league & cup) and use £20 as an average ticket cost, that equals £20m. Add in corporate revenue, shirt sales, catering income etc. and we’re talking well over £20m put in by the fans of the club this season.

PS: Ashley still isn’t saying whether he’s selling or sticking – and anyway, what’s it got to do with you?

All in all, another classic from the club with the PR of the Khmer Rouge. And you wonder why KK walked out.

• estechco

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I think people seem to be making an enormous assumption here. He may well have said “£80m upfront”, but does that ACTUALLY mean he only wants £80m?!?

Could just as easily be he wants £80m upfront with £20m more to follow.

…and where did the week deadline come from Ed? I think we’ve had enough of them lately without making up any more.

• G

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Getting realy narked now at this takeover malarkey. If Moat does not have the finance he should get out now, I hate to sound like I am taking sides now, but MA is right in saying this is the price, now put up or shut up. Just playing devils advocate here like. Still want to see MA get out asap though.

• premier

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM

The price is right–come on down!!
    oops forgot come on down was last season!!

• Sav

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:07 AM

If the price is 80 million and Moat is coming up short, then doesn’t that make this a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for NUSC to get its act together and buy a 25% stake for 20 million and let Moat take his seat at the head of the table?

If it is ever going to happen, it has to happen now.
    Good job at dissecting Ashley’s nonsense and cutting through the smoke and claptrap by nufc.com

• sahota

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I think Mike has driven us all MAD from last few years. Guys I am again telling you, DON’t buy anything even if its worth a Penny from Mike’s SPORTSDIRECT.

He will ruin us to a level that it will be hard for us to come back where we were. Why don’t MOAT come out and comment on this? If he don’t have any money why don’t he come out and say to MIKE …bloody sell to anyone I can’t buy it ok BYE …..
    Its tiring frustrating days for us all. GO out you stupid mike …ya fat tummy will blast one day and we will get freedom…. Go you F***ing bastard

• Ericles

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Has Moat got the money? Were we not led to believe he had the 80 million? It is like I daid earlier – I would not trust Ashley with a duck’s arse and that is waterproof. Like I said earlier he treats the fans like mushrooms. Keeps us in the dark and dumps manure on us now and again! Come on Moat. It is now or never!