Privilege To Manage Newcastle – More Quotes from Hughton

Chris Hugthon seems keen to reach a quick agreement with owner Mike Ashley when they meet for talks later this week that could see him become permanent manager at the famous Newcastle United club.

chris hughton .jpg.display

Chris Hughton – a privilege to manage Newcastle United

Chris should discuss what – if any – transfer funds are available, but we would think the appointment will only be through the end of the season, although his current contract as coach has a further year to run.

Chris talked further about the Newcastle job today:

“Mike’s comments about my position are very positive,”

“The indication that I have been given by the club is that they would like to have discussions with me regarding my position at the club and I take that to mean they would like to turn a temporary role into a permanent one.”

“I am honored to be offered the job, we are still in negotiations, it is something we hope will get resolved.”

The development, as we mentioned yesterday,  suggests that Ashley has given up on trying to sell to Tyneside businessman Barry Moat, who just doesn’t seem to have even the £80M up front money.

With the good results and the low key but effective way Chris has been able to get the best out of most of the players this seaosn, there has been a growth of support for Hughton among Newcastle fans.

However, it’s unclear right now just how much power he will have on incoming and outgoing transfers, but that’s what the talks with Ashley and Llambias should determine.

He is said to be hoping to reach an agreement with Ashley and LLambias, even before this weekend’s game with Doncaster Rovers:

“For me, it’s not about demands.” “First and foremost any offer from this club to manage them I see very much as a privilege,”

“Until I get into those discussions there are a lot of areas I don’t know.”  “I’ve taken it at face value.” “Any offer for me to manage the club, for me it is a positive.”

“It’s a privilege to me and testament to what’s happened so far this season. All the other things around the club, it’s impossible for me to speak about because I haven’t had those discussions.”

“I’ve been in the city long enough to recognize what Alan Shearer has done for this club and for this city. Any offer to myself is in recognition of the work I have done and that would be my only focus.”

“What I’m most excited about is that although we’ve gone through a difficult couple of weeks with the results we’ve got, the large majority of the season has been very positive.”

“The prospect of keeping this team in the top end of this division with the possibility of promotion – those are the things that excite me very much. The fineties (sic) of the role, it’s impossible for me to discuss because I haven’t had those discussions yet.”

If Chris can get the lads promoted that would be success with a capital S, and it would be a tremendous achievement for Chris and the coaching staff – make no mistake about that – and they know it.

If he can do that Chris will go down in the annals of Newcastle United history as that low key non-complaining gentleman, remembered for bringing the club straight back to the Premier League, when everything over the summer looked like a lost cause.

That is something that should inspire Chris to do the impossible – and we think he can do just that.

• ArtyH

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Chris appears to be a lovely bloke, but this will end in tears.

• Toonkistan

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

should we expect the club to be off the market next week right after chris appointment because with the club up for sales there’s no point in appointing permanent manager….bloody hell somebody tell us whats happening..

• Nick D

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM

How can we have such a succession of crap scraping the barrel english / british managers?
    Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear, KK (not so much) Hughton, Shearer (hardly a motivational and tactical success.)

Now Hughton again, another clueless FA clone who will just play precentages and bang it long. When will we ever learn?

• yemozone

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM

He deserves to be manager till the end of the season. Hopefully, is gonna take us back to the premier league.

• yemozone

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:12 AM

@ nick D.

These managers got us into this mess. Expecially Souness and Allardyce

• hitman

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:34 AM

this is all going to end in tears,ashley has the perfect man in CH (yes man),there will be no investment in the first team why ashley is here.

• big bob

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:41 AM

how can seymour pearce recommend the bid of moat to buy the club when he cant scrape together the now 80 million quid needed its beyond me
    hughton why? because its the cheap option
    his tactics were shocking on saturday if we are the best team in the league and have the best players why play a long ball game with our midfielder one of the slowest in the league what we lack is a good creative midfielder
    newcastle will be like they were in the late 80s early nineties a mediocre championship side with no ambition get used to this again

• komfort

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

CH deserves alot of credit for standing in on a temporary basis whilst the shithouse tries to sell the club……but he is now willing to sign a contract and except the roll as a full time yes man for these discredited people beggars belief !…in the words of that other shithouse we all know……your spineless !!..

• Uchiha_Itachi

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Firstly before i begin what is due to be quite a rant, so far Chris has done a good enough job so far and to be four points clear sitting in an automatic promotion spot this season is a great achievement.

Looking at the last three games I can take positives and negatives, Bristol City we simply should have beaten, not only are we a far better side but being at home should have made our potential superiority count for more and to be fair we were unlucky not to. QPR have been on a run and their 4-0 drubbing of Preston (not a bad side on their day) was a reminder of what a test they can be…in other words a draw not the worst outcome, not so pleased with the overall performance though has to be said. Onto Forest, another team on a rich vein of form and away was always going to be tricky, however this for me was the most difficult to swallow..a defeat can sometimes be acceptable if a part of you can say “well we had the chances, we just didn’t have that luck on the day”, its football it happens. What I can’t accept however is the manner of the defeat. To be blunt we were simply outplayed for the majority of the game and other than a few flashes (namely decent deliveries from r.taylor) we looked completely inept and devoid of any ideas.

The fact is that despite our squad being stretched evident by our difficulties at the back last game, our first team squad is arguably the best in the division and they deserve the credit for the position we are in currently. Chris has done as well as he can and i think in a lot of ways has overachieved thus far. This season however has really only just begun and already his lack of tactical depth is being exposed. It has been said by many passing through these threads watching the games in the last few months that we are at our strongest when we utilize the wings and string our passing game together. To bring this rant to a close before it really gets out of hand all i can say is that I have seen no evidence to say that Chris is aware of how to approach each game adapting a style that is necessary to deal with the threats opposed by different footballing teams. We have one style and it either works or it doesnt..and as the season progresses the less and less effective it will become. Bottom line is we need an experienced manager, with a club of this size our future is very much dependent on bouncing back at the first attempt…and on this evidence while i have no qualms about offering praise for his achievements so far I do not feel CH is the man for such a job…really hope im wrong.

• dave 1961

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM

bad times for us, he wants it sorted quick as hes on the slide, another few million in compo down the drain.

• premier

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM

See Fat Sam looking like he is going to keep Blackburn up again–Amazing what a manager can achieve when board and fans show a bit of patience instead of delusion!!

• stevep

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Hughton isn’t the long term choice imo – to be honest I think I could manage this set of players to the top of a poor championship – how much is actually down to CH and how much is down to the players such as KN, AS etc is hard to say but I think the latter are doing more of the work in the dressing room than CH

Fat Sam will more than likely keep Blackburn up but is that the style of football we want at the toon – tbh – we need to give someone time ( 3-5 years) to build a squad and support them through the bad times. Only problem is that while Ashley still owns the club there’ll be very little investment if any at all

the bottom third of the prem is even worse than last year and Hull and Portsmouth look to have already booked two of the relegation slots

• ArtyH

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Uchiha_Itachi , nicely put. Totally agree.

• Nick D

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM

premier
    if you want to watch rugby league every weekend good luck to you pal. watch a proper football team like Arsenal take Allardyce apart 6-2. That’s how you play football, not endless long nballs, negative offsides and kicking people. i can see that every sunday morning.
    allardyce is a con who was found out and oh yeah what’s he won exactly whilst not even resembling trying to pay football?