Kevin Nolan Passionately Defends Marlon Harewood

Kevin Nolan is nothing if not a great team player who engenders tremendous team spirit in the dressing room.

kevin nolan   -302215018

Kevin Nolan – defends the big man today

It was no coincidence that Sam Allardyce had him as captain at Bolton when he was still in his early 20s, and the lad has been great for Newcastle so far this season and of course has hit an amazing 8 goals for the side.

So it’s not too surprising that Kevin come out today in defense of one of his on-loan team-mates – the under-fire Marlon Harewood.

Kevin talked today about Marlon:

“Yeah, I was quite disappointed for him. Since he’s come to the club Marlon has been injured, but he’s a big lad and a great player and we’ve seen what he’s got in training.”

“He scored a vital goal for us against QPR not so long ago, so we can’t lose sight of everything that’s gone on over the last few weeks. The fans wanted Nile on and he’s a young lad who has come in, but we can’t forget the job Marlon has done for us since he’s come here.”

“He’s been fantastic. He’s a great lad, he’s walked right into the changing room and got on with everyone. They’re the type of characters we want.”

“I was disappointed for him, but I’ve had it and we’ve all had it as players. We’ve just got to get on with it. He’ll bounce back and score goals, we know that. I’m sure they’ll soon be singing his name again.”

“At this moment in time he’s still getting to know us. That was probably only his second or third start for us and it does take time.”

“It’s a massive club to come to and produce big performances and score goals for, but he’s well up for the challenge and in the end he’ll come out with flying colors.”

We have to remember that Marlon is on big wages at Newcastle, and it is costing us a pretty penny for his loan spell.

And while we really do hope that Marlon comes through for the team – and himself, , we cannot see him staying on Tyneside, once local lad  Shola Ameobi hopefully returns from injury in 5 weeks time.

What do you think – is Marlon worth keeping on Tyneside?

• sirjasontoon

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I think with great service Harewood would look a different propect…Drogaba would find it hard to score with such a poor midfield.

• sirjasontoon

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:44 AM

prospect

• Mags

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:50 AM

His poor performance on Saturday was one thing, his body language which screamed disinterested and sulky is another thing.

Whilst I was not one of the many who booed when he was subbed, I could understand why they were doing that.

If he wants to be here, then show it. As fans we will get behind anyone who gives us 100%.

• lesh

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Can’t he be sent back to Villa?

• bassongs_of_praise

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:02 AM

The booing was an absolute disgrace and an embarrasment.

He played poorly but so did every other player. I have no real problem with the team being booed at half time / fulltime if they are not performing but to single out 1 player when he was no worse than everyone else is shocking.

Carroll was particularly shocking for 70 minutes but no doubt his goal and his geordie roots makes him exempt from criticism.

Get behind the team, they need our support, thats what supporters are supposed to do.

• Mikey25

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Is MA still waiting for another “magic bidder” to come in and give him the 100mil he wants? Cos that’s how it seems to me! The club is still for sale, he’s taking his time for the Moat bid which has now been clarified by Mail, he clearly doesn’t wanna be at the club!

The man is a moron!

As for Harewood he has the look of Bumble and the workrate of Berbatov but without the skill of either! He cannot pick out a pass, he looks lost most of the time and is just generally a div!!

• Whumpie

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I don’t agree with booing any member of your team. Ever. It takes the spirit of the whole side down and can have a lasting and cancerous impact.

I wasn’t there, so I can’t judge – but if Harewood’s attitude (rather than performance) was not there, then he can expect a quick return to the Villa bench. But the manager makes that call, not the fans.

The boo-boys need to can it, as they could cost us promotion in a season where spirit above everything else is what will make the difference.

• Mags

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Perhaps I should have made it clearer in my earlier post that I totally agree with not booing our own players and I never have, however I was there on Saturday and Harewood’s attitude stank.

As I said, give us 100% endeavour and we will forgive lack of skill.

• Mags

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Bassong, I agree Carroll was very poor for the whole of the first half, just as the rest of the team, but he was, within his capabilities , giving his all, unlike a lot of others, and Harewood was one of the main offenders. He was the senior player of the strike force and his example to Carroll was abysmal. Nowt to do with Carroll being a Geordie. FACT.

• harry861

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM

If Nolan thinks he will improve, well he can’t get any worse than he is now, so anything better will be improvement.When he’s had the chance to shoot at goal he passes it to someone else.

I am not fan of Shola but he’s far better player than Harewood & that not saying a lot.
    The reason why Villa let him go was to save their wages bill, he’s not for me.

Carroll on the same theme missed a chance of hat-trick & in the first half we were very poor

• bassongs_of_praise

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM

@mags

To be fair his attitude was probably partly down to him not getting 1 decent pass. There are only so many times you can chase long aimless hoofs without getting slightly dis-spirited.

Carrolls attitude and body language was no better.

• btnek1664

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Whilst i agree that an individual player should not be singled out for booing-BUT-the man is bone idle(in my opinion)he`s about a stone over weight and cannot run…My friend`s a villa fan and warned me about his attitude-apparently he BELIEVES he`s a better player than he is-the jury is out-i hope he proves most of us wrong but i somehow cant see it..Nile Ranger look`s a much better `prospect` he looks the part along side Carrol-another player who looks good with a proper striker along side him-in response to the slagging off he(Carrol) received above-look where he played first half on sat-midfield-defence-the wing(both of)he played everywhere BUT up front….what`s the kid supposed to do? he was covering Harwood s laziness.
    Just my opinion but lets keep Ranger and Carrol up front-we look a MUCH better team and create space and opportunity for our midfield-ask Nolan..

• Whumpie

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Let’s face it – we’re asking all our strikers to live without any crosses. We’ve got one winger, and he can’t cross. On the other side we’re playing a succession of central midfielders who will always tend to cut in rather than get to the line and cross.

Ed – you keep asking for another centre-back, but right now I think it’s the right wing which is the yawning gap to fill.

• Mags

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM

BTNEK1664 – (12) I agree completely with what you have said. His whole body language said ‘I don’t want to be here’.

Bssong (11) I disagree, Carroll’s attitude was spot on, even if his play wasn’t.

• komfort

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:31 AM

whumpie , i was there .. take it from me he was/is hopeless and playing him is doing nothing but holding ranger’s progress back …..Wake up & open your eyes CH !!!… a blind man on a galloping horse can see it so why cant you ???..

• Mags

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Whumpie (13) Could not agree more mate, we are so unbalanced and I would put a wide right player as No 1 priority.

• magpie6699

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Don’t agree with the booing at all – very bad. However, I was surprised and disappointed with Harewood. In his first game when he came on and scored, he looked fired up, keen and I thought we’ve got another battler like Smith. On Saturday – the opposite. He gave the impression that if the ball wasn’t perfectly laid to him on a plate it wasn’t worth trying for – and that’s what gave the fans the hump. Plus of course you’re on a hiding to nowt if you’re seen to be keeping the fans’ choice (Ranger) out of the team.
    Anyone can have a bad game – Guti was rubbish in the first half, but he never stopped putting in the effort and actually improved second half and got some tackles in. In fact, apart from Harewood you couldn’t accuse any of the team of not trying – just incompetence, lack of confidence, boots on wrong feet, no teamwork, poor tactics – but they were all trying – except, on the face of it, Harewood. What I don’t understand about him is why?

• Trent Toon

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Kevin Nolan- is jast fantastic, he is just a legend…

We need to sign more players like him..

He is just excellent i have no high praise

• yemozone

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM

CH should have loaned another striker instead of harewood.

I think his past its prime……………. if any

• bassongs_of_praise

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:42 PM

@btnek1664

You ask what Carroll is supposed to do – well he could have scored the 2 sitters he missed to start with and made everyones life easier.

Not really defending Harewoods performance, it wasnt great I just dont think it was any worse than most others. Just think some fans find it easier to single Harewood out because he is on loan and we are probably paying him a decent wage.

As has been mentioned above the forwards are pretty much living off scraps due to our lack of creativity so just think they should be given a break.

Ranger should be starting for me but whoever starts we need to get behind them – if we boo Harewood do you think thats gonna make him more likely to score goals??

• neblexa

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:28 PM

bassongs_of_praise

I dont boo and dont condone it. However, Harewood was pathetic, you only have to look how much more Ranger offered when he came on to see that. But to say you dont have a real problem booing the team as a whole at half time and/or full time is ridiculous. So whilst criticising the efforts (or lack of) for one player is unacceptable, to completely demorise the entire team whilst booing is ok. What? where on earths the logic in that?? ok, what about half the team, is that ok? or maybe you should only be allowed to boo more than 3 players. You either have principles or you dont!!!

• bassongs_of_praise

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:54 PM

@neblexa

I dont think its a difficult concept to understand. Football is a team game, 1 player doesnt win or lose you matches and after 60 minutes we were not simply losing because of Marlon Harewood. Was it his fault we conceded a sloppy goal? Was it his fault Carroll missed a free header from 10 yards and an open goal from 5 yards?

If the team isnt performaing then I dont think there is an issue with the crowd who are paying their wages to make their feelings known that they are not happy with the teams performance at half time / fulltime. It lets them know that they need to up their game.

However singling one guy out for criticism when nobody is playing well is just ridiculous and is going to dent his confidence. He’s started about 3 games for us for god’s sake after playing no 1st team football for about 2 seasons, what are people expecting a hatrick every game??

I admit that he didnt play well and his effort was questionable at times and personally id play Ranger ahead of him or Carroll but whilst hes in the team ill get behind him and certainly wont try blame a poor team perforamance on him.