Nile Ranger Deserves Start Against The Blades

As we reported yesterday Nile Ranger’s introduction after an hour in Saturday tilted the game in Newcastle’s favor.

nile ranger 987

Nile Ranger – in action on Saturday

There’s no doubt the 18 year-old can be a great impact sub – and he has shown that more than once this season.

In fact against Blackpool their manager Ian Holloway thanked Hughton for not bringing on Ranger until the 83rd minute in that game, since he doubted whther his team could have survived if the youngster had been brought on any earlier.

Nile caused complete havoc in Blackpool’s defense at the end of that game,  with his physical presence and tremendous heading ability.

And right at the end of that game, Nile’s goal-bound header was hooked off the line by Stephen Crainey.

And it’s not just the Geordie faithful who have come to appreciate the Londoner’s enthusiastic young talent, as Newcastle boss Chris Hughton has told Newcastle United TV today:

“Nile’s enthusiasm certainly lifted the team and the crowd on Saturday,” “We were, of course, trailing one-nil at the time, but he gave us a lift and it was a turning point in many ways.”

“He’s a young lad who gives everything and causes problems for opposition defenses.” “He wants to start games but we have to be careful and decide how best to get what we want from him.”

“But he’s certainly done his cause the world of good. He just needs to keep working hard now because there are areas of his game he needs to work on and he knows that.”

Surely Nile has earned a starting position in place of Marlon Harewood at Sheffield next Monday night, since Marlon has been less than impressive recently.

We cannot just play loan players, when they are not performing, and when we have players already at the club who can do better.

Nile should start next Monday and the raw talent of both Ranger and Carroll will be hard for the Blades’ defense to hold.

• batty

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM

no ranger no chance hughtons a shit for brains

• G

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Get Nile in, get lazy Harewood out.

• Nobby_Long

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Ed, totally agree…..Harewood looks very poor…..Ranger, although by no means the finished article, is young enthuastic & causes problems that others can take advantage of………I hope Hughton gets some balls & starts him with Carroll.

However, it I was a betting man, I expect Hughton will play Nolan behind Carroll with both Harewood & Ranger left on the bench.

• shear-class

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I cant understand why he was dropped in the first place hes more of a threat than both harewood and carroll

• Johno Toon

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I dont think he was dropped shear class but we cant expect an 18 to lead the line for the whole season , we do need to ease him into it.

I feel once he gets one goal there be no stopping the boy

• G

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM

It’s the boys work rate that impresses me more than anything, his willingness to chase the ball. Some of the senior players could learn a lot from his example.

• Raffo

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM

I read that the NUST are meeting again on Thursday, is anyone going? Surely the point of the 20 million has to be raised, and does it seem to convienient that the shortfall is the same amount rumoured to have been raised/pledged?

Does anyone have the email address of the NUST or the .com boys?

• G

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM

The .com boys address is on the link on the webpage. Dunno about the Nuts.

• Raffo

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Cheers G just doin an email now

• ginkoh

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM

How can you say if Harewood score hat-trick next Monday !! …. wake up

if he still not improve his attitude with CCC league, he should not be our starting line up.

• Raffo

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM

I dont think going with Nolan behind a big man is a bad way to go.

I think we clearly do not have the wingers needed to beat a man in a 4 man midfield, so should play jonas and R Taylor on the edge of a guthrie smudge nolan 3. Smudge to hold and get Guthrie and nolan taking in turns to support the front 3. I think we need the 5 in midfiels away at Sheff U, going to be a tough game

• Mags

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Raffo NUST email contacts:
    events@nust.org.uk

Hope this helps.

I also hope we start with Nile and Andy on Monday, but I am not sure Hughton will go that way.

• Raffo

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Cheers MAGS

Has anyone contacted them to ask them stuff?

• G

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Given Nolan’s current goal ratio I am tempted to say lets start with him as the advanced striker! Seriously tho, I would like to also see a 5 man midfield, but with Nolan pushing forward in support of a lone front man (Ranger please for my money), in the role that used to be known as ‘the hole’.

• Raffo

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Dito G

• Mags

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Raffo – I am a member but as I live 160miles away, I do not get to any of their mid week get togethers, even though I stay in touch by e-mail, and of course, come up for all the matches.

• Raffo

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Im the same Mags, where bouts are you? I dont get to any meetings but do get to a good few games and of course our relegation has allowed me to get to more away games in the local yorkshire area!

• Mags

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Raffo – I am exiled in Lancashire (near Preston)

• Raffo

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:39 PM

interesting reply from the NUST. They have had contact with an intemediary but he has broken contact with them. They are confident that the plans the will launch in the next couple of days will lead to the potential to buy part or all of the club

• Mags

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I know its very interesting! Email is a wonderful thing for keeping in touch. I am constantly surprised when I am at the match, I am better informed of all things Newcastle Utd than a lot of my fellow Geordies still based in Newcastle.

• Raffo

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:59 PM

They are very quick and pleasent. I have had 2 very quick and detailed replies so I am quite happy. The one thing is that what they propose will not be quick so that is a potential problem, but surely they will be prepared to push ahead with the plans whatever the initial outcome of Moats bid, and of course should he be successful or not, theres no reason why they can get some representation on the board at the turn of the year. Im sure Moat will be happy to recoup the 20 million extra hes had to find to appease himself further to the fans

• Mags

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM

What impresses me the most is that they are prepared to voluntarily get off their collective a***** and try to do something to improve the lot of the fans with the club.

I just hope they are successful. They are doing lots of other good things within the community too.

• Marty-Toon

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:18 PM

He definitely should get his place after the last game………
    Harewood will come good but Nile`s enthusiasm does scare the opposition as compared to Marlon he attacks the opposition.
    Marlon just looks like someone down on their luck and will let the others take the responsibility to shoot