Change The Name Of St. James’ Park? – How Dare He!

You can never accuse Mike Ashley of  having ever understood the soul of Newcastle United.

mike ashley 234

Ashley – thinks – The Sports Direct Stadium?

And the statement made yesterday by the club sounded as if Mike Ashley was the hero who was staying at Newcastle to save the club.

What a joke – he’s the one who is destroying it.

And in the statement issued yesterday was this reference:

The Club aims to maximize its commercial revenues; this includes renegotiating its Club sponsor and kit deal, which expire at the end of this season, as well as welcoming offers for the stadium naming rights for next season.

Just let this man try to change the name of the stadium so he can make more money from a sponsor who is then named after the stadium.

St’ James’ Park is both a hallowed name and a hallowed place for Newcastle fans.

Of course Dave Whelan did that at Wigam with the JJB Stadium, now called the DW stadium, and it’s also done in the US.   It’s all about money.

Ashley doesn’t seem to get it – he is an insult to Newcastle United.

Please leave the club – before you make it another laughing stock of the football world.

You are neither liked nor wanted on Tyneside.

Although we knew the announcement was coming, it was  the tone and content of the announcement that show Mike Ashley is completely unsuited to be anywhere close to Newcastle United football club, never mind own it.

We hope he just leaves and we’ve had enough of  him and his cronies on this blog – that’s for sure.

• onepeterb

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:23 AM

is the Gallowgate the Exhibition Stand NO Is the Leazes the Surgeon Hall Stand NO Then stop worrying about what the Prawn Sandwichees call St James’

• Nick D

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Ed it’s only a name for heaven’s sake ! That’s how business is now. They’re all doing it. Who barely remembers Roker park now? Time to move on my amigo.

By all means be angry with Ashley on a whole range of levels, but what’s in a name, it’s hardly life changing unless you are a traditionalist luddite?

• jimmymac

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Most football fans will always call it st james park. And if it helps bring in £15m or so for players then so be it.

I dont like Ashley, but the massive rift witht he fans isnt going to help our club! Lets get behind Hughton and the Team!!!

Moat would have put us into adminsitration within 2 years, he had the right attitude but wrong bank account!!

• derekm

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Let’s be honest – if you were ashley, had tried to sell something that you had paid 100 million more for than what you wanted as an asking price, and still got offered 20 million less than THAT price – would you sell? If he’s forced to stay on at least we all know what direction the club is heading, and looking at how Moat struggled to meet the asking price who’s to say we could go forward under his purse strings, which must be considerably less than Ashley, who whether you like him or loathe him has had a good trading year and has oodles more dosh than Moat! The re naming of St. James fits what all the successful clubs have been doing for years – if it buys top players, who gives a ….

• murvar

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM

It will be our version of th Ricoh Arena EG Rentokil St James Park. But in the circumstances I think the right name would be
    “TOYS-R-US ST JAMES PARK”

• Toonkistan

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Hi Ed i dont know whether you thought about it before writing it “Change the name..how dare he” or you being emotional & fickle like always….anyways there’s a lot of history associated with the name but at the end of the in modern world things change, ppl change and everyone of us should be able to adapt to chnages that life brings…..i didnt see any arsenal fan moanin about the name change till now and how many trophies did they won after the ground chnage or name change….may be we will win one soon after the name change …..Keep the faith boys…let money roll in and even a prick like Mike will invest in players knowing promotion is his only options…..EPL here we come. 🙂

• Mikey25

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Here’s where the NUST step up, put a bid in for naming rights and keep it SJP!

Stadium changes have happened a lot round where I live…Bradford City from Valley Parade to Coral Windows Stadium…Huddersfield Town from Mcalpine to Galpharm! All sponsorship deals! At the end of the day they’re still referred to as their original names!

I personally moved from Newcastle at a very young age so will no doubt not have the same ties as lifelong season ticket holders but at the end of the day its a name! MA will disappear before too long and the next owner will do something to get us in his good books….SJP it is again!

We are the mighty toon army despite what the stadium is called and no matter who is in charge or running the show!!

• UTD111

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM

As I’ve said on another blog – Like many fans, I was introduced to St James’ Park many years ago by my dad (God rest his soul), and my love affair with United began. When I’m in the ground, I refer to “The Leazes End”, “The Gallowgate End”, “The West Stand” and “The Popular Side” (although I accept you younger chappies have come to call that the “East Stand”).

St James’ Park will always be St James’ Park to me – no matter what this fly-by-night Barrowboy decides to call it.

Any new name will just be used by the media….not the fans.

My only worry is that, given the FCB will sell to the highest bidder, how will we all feel when the match is beamed live to the world from the “Tena Lady Stadium” or “The Pampers Stadium” or some such?

• btnek1664

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM

The amount of idiots agreeing with ashley over the renaming of the ground makes me sick-you OBVIOUSLY have no regard for the history or traditions surrounding the club and no regard for it`s or the city`s heritage.People like you make me want to vomit as it`s you lot who have this country in the crap it`s in-ashley will get coppers for selling your club`s soul and put NOTHING

• Nick D

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:47 AM

btnek1664

grow up

• N.Ireland NUFC Supporters Club

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM

The stadium’s name is part of the heritage and history of our great club. Enough has been done to damage our public face and reputation within footballing circles. As we may not always agree with what Ashley is doing right now (god knows we don’t), It is important to keep supporting the team on the field regardless of what goes on behind the scenes. Ashley is a moment in time in the grand scheme of Newcastle United and will disappear as all inevitably do. I don’t particularly agree with the appointment of Chris Hughton as permanent manager, a sterling job he’s done and really we all owe him a debt of gratitude for steadying the ship but a manager he’s not.
    I only hope he can keep things going as he is and return us to the premier league where we look a far better proposition for any potential buyers, where we go from there we can only hope. I have always followed my beloved team and alyays will. The 11 men on the pitch are the important thing at the moment – let’s give them our support and get us back up there!!!!

• btnek1664

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM

cont…
    into the club-he`s already said he will not buy new players and we can expect him to sell any decent player he can,,,,,,,you all deserve him you bunch of backward idiots….the renamed stadium`s such as the jjb etc are `new builds`they have NEVER been named before..our stadium has a name history and tradition..a past..you wouldn`t understand that would you? I look to the future but there are things you MUST leave alone St James`s park is one of them….I stood up for ashley and to some degree felt sorry for him-not now i hope the fat pig goes bust-NUFC? we`r already bust…

• btnek1664

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Nick d-i am a grown up,i however have a sense of loyalty to MY city-who are you to tell me to grow up? a person with no culture? almost certainly.if you don`t like what i have written there are plenty more sites for people like you…

• btnek1664

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:58 AM

By the way Nick d,there is nothing wrong with being a traditionalist-as i say have a look at this once great nation and tell me if people like you have improved it? i think not….you have your beliefs i have mine..r is that not allowed in your little world…

• Mikey25

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I don’t see how arguing with each other will help or change anything? There’s thousands upon thousands of fans all with their views! Some love change, some will hate it with a passion!

MA has never listened to fans is the past, why is he going to now?

• 09-10 return of the gud times

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM

btnek1664 /
    could nt agree with you more, i can only agree with giving a stadium a new name when the stadium is also new these sponsored stadiums have awful tacky names, that fat useless moron will not puit any of the money he gets from selling the clubs sole baxk into it and i can t believe after the track record he has that anyone is believing him just look at the players he sold last season before we were relegated to see where hois ambition is

• jim

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:17 AM

mikey25-u got it wrong-huddersfield was Leeds Road before either of the other two…lol

• Nick D

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM

btnek1664
    Who are to call people idiots and people like me? Is 1664 the year you got stuck in?

You sad t..t I fought in the Falklands so don’t give me any of that BNP b……s !

• petey

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM

As long as he doesnt call it
    “Ashley’s House”

Gutted

• jim

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:22 AM

i think as were not moving to a new ground its wrong-and pointless-just to create funds? its like selling ya surname or house to raise a few quid-desperate measures from a desperate club-how low can he stoop? why doesnt he borrow sumit off Mort if hes skint! 😉 or get a huuuuuuge provvy! lol

• magpie6699

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:24 AM

From an earlier post by me.
    News of The World August 8th 2010:
    “Ashley takes name off sale”
    After failing to secure the £5 million asking price for the new name for St James’s Park, despite reducing the price from £10 million, Mike Ashley has decided that the name is no longer for sale. The ground will be named after himself and in the new season the sign “Black Heart Lane” will be erected on the stand. A club spokesman said there was never any truth in the rumour that it was going to be called “White A**e Lane” after the infamous streak by Mr. Derek Llambias.

• Solaidback

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Funny you’re all saying that loads of Stadiums have had there names changed because I read this morning that if Ashley does change the name of St James Park, it will be the FIRST time a stadium has changed its name without first building a new stadium!!!
    So not sure who’s telling the truth, you guys or the crap-loid I read, personally I don’t agree with the name change & hope someone, like Moat who was supposedly buying the club buys the rights & keeps it as St James Park, I know I would if I had the money!!

• lesh

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Although this article (see link) is about Hull, it’s nevertheless sobering reading and sadly, this is the reality of football today!

• jimmymac

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM

N.Ireland NUFC Supporters Club – Where do you watch the matches? Im at Queens University in Northern Ireland and have been looking for a supporters club!

Nick D, im with you….. btnek1664 you sound like a real moron! Insulting fellow fans over a difference of opinion!! I bet your the sort of person who Booo’s at games and scream for managers to be sacked, then has the nerve to complain that we have non stability!!

• Stevo

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I completely agree with Ed. I can’t believe how many on here are ‘easy’ with the re-name. Money for transfers..blah…blah. Yeah right, like he’s going to spend the money on new players like he has done in the past two transfer windows. He’s lining his pockets. He’s going to pump 20 million into the club….apparently it costs him 20 million a year anyways so he’s giving us nothing new. Wake up man! FFS! The bloke is laughing at you. He’s ripping the heart and soul out of NUFC at the expense of the fans, the city and its pride.

• Trent Toon

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:36 PM

DON’T YOU DARE YOU PIG…..

THIS IS OUR CLUB NOT YOURS!!!

DONT YOU DARE CHANGE THE NAME OF OUR 2ND HOME….

WE GREW UP AND ENJOYED THE SUCCESS, THE CULTURE, THE TRADITION OF THIS CLUB,

ITS NOT ONLY US THAT ARE LOSING OUT, IT IS OUR SONS, AND GRAND SONS..

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB YOU PIG!!!

DONT CHANGE THE NAME-IS THIS WHAT THE CLUB IS ABOUT NOW-MONEY,MONEY,MONEY…

We want culture not money….

Money is just an extra when culture is evident!

• G

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:47 PM

This subject boils my p**s! How dare he!

• ginkoh

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Someone agree with MA because they compare us with Arsenal !? Arsenal have build the “New Stadium” and it’s no problem to give their new stadium name to the sponsor who give them money to build the project.

But with us !? what’s point to sell the stadium name ? just money, of course because we (or MA) short of money to spend. If so why he don’t sell the club name !? Ashley United ? not bad right !?

• will die for the toon army

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Culture, Culture, Culture. We the Fans are the culture no one can change we see things happen and all that stays in our memories.

Dress codes changed, Music changed. we all what has changed. The Culture stays with us an d only us jst get used to.

This is a good idea you all know it but because MA has brought it up its bad what if it was MOAT who had brought the idea you will be on his side.

• will die for the toon army

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Its jst a name get used to it. My Passion will always be NUFC the team. When the club performs better, am happy.

• Stevo

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM

will die for the toon army // Oct 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM

———————————————————

It’s our heritage!!!!

• p doff

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Hitler created stability in Germany. Frogs can be boiled if the heat is raised gently. The Train set crashed shortly after Cashley took over. Now do something about it and stop moaning

• Trent Toon

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM

ED-

PLEASE LISTEN

YOU HAVE BIG INFLUENCE ON HUNDREDS TO THOUSANDS OF SUPPORTERS…

YOU COULD POSSIBLY KICK SOMETHING OFF,

TEAM UP WITH NUST, AND GET SOMETHING GOING, WE REALLY NEED A VOICE IN THIS ALL.

START A NUFC BLOG CAMPAIGN CALLED

“A VOICE”

It could be a campaign that gets 1 voice for the fans, and possibly gets put on the board…

PLEASE ED GET SOMETHING GOING, RING UP NUST AND SEE WHAT CAN BE DONE!!!!!!!!

HOWAY THE LADS

• Wigaz

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I’m 100% with Ed on this one. Who does this Fat prick think he is? I have never in all my life met someone who I wished death on until now! I know some will say a bit strong but totally justified! This isn’t just about the club it’s about our city of Newcastle as well, St james park and NUFC go hand in hand that simple wide boy! The only way I would accept any change to the name of our holy ground is if it was to be renamed “Sir Bobby Robson Park” and that is the only acceptable change. I will soon complete my time machine and quantum leap back in time to destroy Mike Ashley! The future will be saved!

• evildick

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:58 PM

i feel sick reading about this.

to all those not bothered by the name change, go support the top four you $##@#$ useless brand whipped $#^&$!

pathetic

%$@~!

• philnufc

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

when is the fat cockney bastard going to whats right and blow his own head off

• philnufc

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM

st james park is not just a name it is an icon of the football world if you ask any footy fan in this country and abroad were do nufc play 99% will know how many will know next year if its the findus crispy pancake stadium 0% i bet get out of our club you fat cockney bastard

• btnek1664

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Nick d-you are an idiot-my mother is from the wonderful isle of St Lucia,i have endured racist crap all of my life so believe me when i say that i do not support the bnp in any way or form,i have also served in the British armed forces so please thank you for your contribution and accept my sympathy for any loss you may have suffered as a result of action whilst serving`down south`however get off your high horse-i have also lost close friends-most recently in Afghanistan,but you have lost the plot.I talk about culture and you talk race????i have studied the culture of my mother`s place of birth,(the village she grew up in is now a popular tourist spot-a hotel complex) and watched the things that were an important part of her life erode and disappear-just like what is happening at St James`s Park.It may not be important to YOU however it is an important part of my north east heritage and also my children`s life.I am not a cloth cap,whippet walking Neanderthal,and do not live in the past,however,we cant look to the future if we don`t remember our past,it`s part of who we are.SAD SAD day`s.What`s in a name? how about re-naming Great Britain-Mc Donald’s isle??
    I will not comment any more as i have already made my feeling`s known..But thanks for the freedom of speech mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• UTD111

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Wigaz @34
    Naming the ground after SBR wouldn’t really be very fair on Joe Harvey though would it?

• Stu0512

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM

In refrence to what DerekM has said which successful clubs have been renaming thier stadiums Man U, Chelsea or liverpool maybe even arsenal didnt rename they built a new stadium.
    Your comment is like Ashleys descision a joke.
    He has no intention of putting an extra £20 million in and has no concern about our feelings on this situation the sooner he leaves our football club alone the better but i fear that he may be around to make our lives a misery for some time to come.
    i think this may be the final straw for some NUFC fans who have finally had enough of this fat useless piece of shit ruining a football club with a proud history and loyal support.
    GET OUT OF OUR CLUB.