Leon Cort Likely To Join Newcastle On Loan Soon


There will be significant part of the £20M Mike Ashley has allocated to the club to bring in some new players, both on loan and in the January transfer market.

leon cort 123

Leon Cort – Newcastle interested


30 year-old Stoke City 6’3″ defender Leon Cort, is still thought to be a Newcastle target, who will probably be brought in on loan, at least initially, and the player has revealed he expects to be leaving Stoke on loan soon.

And Ipswich manager Roy Keane has only just failed in an attempt to take the player on loan to the East Anglia club.

Perhaps Leon, the brother of former Newcastle striker Carl Cort, who was signed for £7M in 2000 by Bobby Robson,  is waiting for Newcastle to come knocking.

Leon said today:

“The gaffer’s told me there’s been a bit of interest in me from other clubs and that they’re good clubs,”

Leon has played for Milwall, Forest Green (loan), Stevenage Borough (loan), Southend, Hull, Crystal Palace and now Stoke City.

He has played more than 350 first class games at his various clubs, and he looks like an experienced defender we need in the squad.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

19 comments so far

  • Chris F

    Oct 29, 2009 at 12:37 PM

    Comment #1

    i very much doubt it will be a significant amount.

    any money he’ll put in now will to be to service the totally unnecessary overdraft he’s lumbered us with.

    0
  • bassongs_of_praise

    Oct 29, 2009 at 12:44 PM

    Comment #2

    Would that be the same overdraft that was already there when he took over??

    0
  • Mags

    Oct 29, 2009 at 12:46 PM

    Comment #3

    Ed, I do not want to be argumentative, but where have you picked up that any part of the supposed £20m that Ashley is saying he will put INTO THE CLUB will be allocated to Hughton to buy players?

    If he does – and seriously I do not believe he has any intention of doing so – then this will be a first for him.

    He is a cunning, devious, liar of a businessman and not to be trusted.

    As to Leon Cort, why him? We are desperate for an attacking right sided player, as our team is so badly unbalanced.

    0
  • p doff

    Oct 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM

    Comment #6

    Think I will change my blog name, that CV has me full of expectation, delight and anticipation. Age is clearly no barrier at SJP.

    0
  • ginkoh

    Oct 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM

    Comment #7

    Conclusion is waste of space and salary. We need only prospect players who want to prove themself in higher level football or first team chance.

    We need player like D.Simpson. Young, Talent, Determine and good attitude.

    0
  • Mr Books

    Oct 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM

    Comment #8

    So, MA’s initial £105M loan is due to be repaid at the end of this season. And he’s going to put another £20 Million in.

    Coincidentally there will be an opportunity for commercial sponsorship of the stadium – I would expect Slazenger, Dunlop or Lonsdale to be up there.
    Sports direct made only a 10 Million profit and suspended its dividend this year, but that mainly because of 50 million of assets being seized by the administrators of a defunct Icelandic bank in an attempt to grab as much cash as they can. They still made about 100 Million. Now MA can take much of that as a dividend, but he has to share that with the city and the taxman. Should SportsWorld however decide to sponsor Newcastle United to the tune of say 30 Million a year for 4 years, then this would mean that
    a) Newcastle United would have the cashflow available to repay its debts to Ashley (But bugger all to invest in the squad)
    b) Profits and therefore dividends and therefore share price would be lower for Sports Direct
    c) MA would have cash coming in, from sports direct which he could then use to buy shares in them as their price drops again.

    The only winner in this game – Ashley

    0
  • will die for the toon army

    Oct 29, 2009 at 2:02 PM

    Comment #9

    Mr. brooks you are going very far.

    0
  • G

    Oct 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM

    Comment #10

    Back to the subject matter, I disagree with ginkoh as this is exactly the type of player we need in our squad right now. If we get promoted he would be surplus to requirements, but he has bags of experience at this level, and was a regular in their promotion squad. Besides, we have enough young talent at our academy, we need the experience to work with them, otherwise we will plummet. Looks like a good loan deal to me this one.

    0
  • chuck

    Oct 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM

    Comment #11

    From what I gather litening to Hughton, “only loan players will be brought in during the Jan. window”
    I had hoped players would be brought in during both windows.
    So it seems MA is about to take another gamble on promotion, going with the present team and loanee`s.
    I would have thought he had learned a lesson from last year, having gambled on avoiding relegation.
    Here`s a man who has admitted in print he is no expert on the game, in which case who the f**k is he listening to, Llambias ?
    The blind leading the blind is it ?
    Does he not realize it`s imperative we gain promotion this season, as it will become progressively more difficult as time passes.
    Resulting in less revenue, a loss of PL quality players, no relegation package, a devaluation of the club, etc.
    I suppose our present league standing has convinced him we are certs for promotion.
    In which case he intends to only strengthen the side when promotion is guarrenteed. well I got news for him, dont make that bet and check around with people who understand the game.
    There`s only one window in which to strengthen the side for a run at promotion, summertime is too late and this team needs help now.

    0
  • Jay jay

    Oct 29, 2009 at 3:21 PM

    Comment #12

    Hughton just said on ssn he doesn’t expect to see much of the 20 million as he expects it to be used for the running costs of the club. that was a short honeymoon for the few with faith in this tool

    0
  • ginkoh

    Oct 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM

    Comment #13

    Experience players should be like Sol Campbell, John Carew, Distin etc. Not player like Leon Cort.

    I don’t see Leon Cort will be better than our S.Taylor, Colo or even Zurab. The fact is we should have experience players in the team BUT they should be better than our current players, am I right ?

    0
  • G

    Oct 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

    Comment #14

    You have an argument, but players like STaylor, and Colo have no experience at holding it together if we are still in the mix come the end of the season. Colo will probs not even be interested as he will be too busy trying to remain uninjured for the world cup. Leon Cort played in the promotion run in, and was solid if unspectacular at this level, that is the experience that we will need come the end of the campaign. As for Zurab, he is too weak, too small, and has the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. I see him as nothing but cover for the LB spot to be honest. I would rather rely on TK at the CB spot, in which case having a player like Leon Cort at the club will pay dividends.

    0
  • Rangerman

    Oct 29, 2009 at 5:38 PM

    Comment #15

    any money he’ll put in now will to be to service the totally unnecessary overdraft he’s lumbered us with.

    …..

    How was the overdraft unnecessary?

    The £20 million won’t go in to the transfer kitty, it will go towards subsidising the running costs.

    0
  • Rangerman

    Oct 29, 2009 at 5:40 PM

    Comment #16

    Hughton just said on ssn he doesn’t expect to see much of the 20 million as he expects it to be used for the running costs of the club. that was a short honeymoon for the few with faith in this tool

    ….

    People thought it was all going to be spent on transfers ?!

    0
  • flair20

    Oct 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM

    Comment #17

    I think it’s pretty obvious we won’t be purchasing any players this season. If we do, however, we could do a lot worse than try for Richard Wood from Sheffield Wednesday – he is refusing to sign a new contract and has been transfer listed. Experienced at this level and still fairly young (24). We could sell Colocinni and use probably less than half the money we get to buy Wood.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/8331747.stm

    That’s wishful thinking, of course. Realistically, I think Cort would be a good loan signing. Zurab is good for cover at right-back but not great at centre-back. I agree with G that we’d currently be better off blooding Kadar if we were short in central defence.

    I also agree with Mags that we desperately need a right winger, although who is available on loan? Driver from hearts would be a great signing but we’d need a fair few quid for him.

    0
  • Bao Zheng

    Oct 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM

    Comment #18

    Mr. Brooks – now that is a thought.

    0
  • Solaidback

    Oct 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM

    Comment #19

    Jay jay // Oct 29, 2009 at 3:21 PM

    Hughton just said on ssn he doesn’t expect to see much of the 20 million as he expects it to be used for the running costs of the club. that was a short honeymoon for the few with faith in this tool
    ————————————————————
    Hughton did say this & he also said that he’s been told by the board (Ashley & Llambais) that they will back him in the transfer window, what he didn’t say was, which transfer window that would be, so don’t hold your breath!!!

    The only movement we’ll have in the transfer window is of our decent players like Nolan, Ranger, Jonas & Tayls leaving for other clubs who’ve made a semi decent offer to Ashley & then that money will go into his pockey & Hughton will be allowed to bring in Loanee replacements like Harewood to bulster our squad but not produce anything on the pitch, so get use to it lads, we’re in the fizzy for a long haul!!!! Rgds Not Solaidback anymore!!!

    0

You must log in to post a comment.