Smith Doesn’t Think He’ll Be As Good As He Once Was

Alan Smith is nothing – if not a really truthful player, both in words and deeds.

alan smith hgh

Alan Smith – will never regain his old form

Alan represents the new spirit shown by the Newcastle players this season, and he has come out today and said he doesn’t think he’ll ever be able to recapture his old  England form.

And he thinks that,  because of the effects of  the terrible injury ankle he sustained when he played at Manchester United.

Alan said today:

“I know I’ll never be able to get back to as good as I was in terms of that 2% that takes you to the very top – international level, Champions League level,”

“I could still play there, but my injury will restrict me from competing at the very highest level. As soon as I did my injury I knew that. I spoke to Alex Ferguson about it and we both knew it would be so difficult to play at that standard, week in week out.”

“I am an honest person, I know that I’m not as good as I was, simple as that.” “There is certain stuff that I’m restricted with when I’m playing through my injury. Just movement, I don’t play as freely as I used to. I can still make tackles and I’m lucky to still be playing.”

“I am happy just to play. I love playing in this (midfield) position and I think I could still do it in the Premier League, it’s just the real pinnacle of international and Champions League.”

“It wasn’t hard to come to terms with. I take everything as I go. I’ve never stopped trying to get back to that level. But I know deep down that would be very difficult for me.”

It’s this complete honesty that has made Smith a fan favorite this season, and while he may not be able to be an International player again, he looks so well suited to playing the defensive midfield position.

And it’s a position he can play for a long time, since experience and the reading of the game are paramount when playing in front of the back four.

We have to hope Alan stays at Newcastle longer term, and becomes the regular midfield defensive player – and he wouldn’t be a bad choice as the official club captain – either.

• Fak_you_ashley

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:45 PM

you got that one right smithy! 😀

• Fak_you_ashley

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

But your still our best player this season by a mile.

• Graeme

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

The man has balls – no doubt about it.

His form and drive this season have been a revelation and an inspiration to watch; he has been probably our best player this season and I never believed I would put that in print lol.

• sirjasontoon

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Smudger great to see your commitment and battling spirit…that is all we ever wanted and you have worked your socks off.

Keep up the good work…be great to see you bag a goal as I am sure more will follow.

• sirjasontoon

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Top Lad…Knuckled down and plays for the shirt.

• Jan Stavik

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Fine player at this level, we should keep him till the summer and then ship him out to some crap club like Boro as he’s not premiership standard anymore.

Unfortunately, not many of our players are, I can just think of Enrique, S.Taylor, Coloccini, Jonas and Nolan who are decent Premiership players in our squad. The rest are Nationwide standard at their best.

• G

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Smithie has been fantastic for us this season. The midfield role he plays in has suited him down to the ground, I hope he can do it in the prem assuming we get promoted. Between Smudge and Jose for player of the season for me so far.

• Tel

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Players of the season? lets not forget Nolan, caroll and Ranger, all have played there part, whilst I dont think we have played paticularly well we are winning and grinding out results with a few exceptions of course.

• G

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

@ Tel, not dismissing anybody from the list yet, however, as things stand for overall commitment and consistency Smith & Jose stand out from the crowd. If his current run continues Nolan will undoubtably be there at the end of the season. As for Ranger & Carroll, they have plenty of time to throw their names into the hat too.

• Toonkistan

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM

That’s the best review i’ve heard by any toon player in a while, honest, upfront & down to earth….its refreshing to hear about the meeting they had after leyton game….i m sure bassong was the top of list of players who wanted to leave (shearer or no shearer) he came up with noises even when we were in EPL….v r better of without these french twats ….

• Robbanufc

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Smudges has been amazing this season, way beyond all of my expectations. Very truthful words from an honest, down-to-earth player.

Smith has been our best player so far this season, and has Jose and Nolan right behind him.

Hope he signs up for long term, cause the way he’s playing now is above average premiership standard.

• sirjasontoon

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Smudger The Man !

• Jay jay

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Smudger has been great on and off the pitch this season, i completely wrote him off as newcastle player and now i’m getting my teeth stuck in to the humble pie. hope ranger starts tonight though, when he plays we win

• G

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM

@ Jay jay – agreed on the Ranger front mate. Love the kids work rate, and reckon he will go on to be one of the greats if he fulfulls his potential. He’s also much better than the woefull lazy harewood.

• Jay jay

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Agree 100% G if he gets that first goal i’m sure they will flow as well, even without the goals we just look more of a threat when the lad plays, harewood gives us nothing, its a no brainer imo.

• Steve R

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM

You guys are right, that takes balls of steel for him to be so honest but at the same time i think he should have been working with a sports psychologist after his injury. I watched an interview with David James and we all know how crap he was (Liverpool) and then he found his top form again. Yes the injury plays a big part but he is doubting himself a bit i think.

• arctoa

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:22 PM

To be honest he’s playing as he always has, it’s just a style of play that is suited to this league. He wouldn’t get enough time in the Premiership, which is why he was getting cards all over the place. All the same, fair play to him for sticking around, realising his limitations, and playing to his strengths. We need more players with his sort of mentality, although we could do with a couple who can beat their man and stick a cross in, too.

• OHurley

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Smudger is without a doubt, THE MAN. Thanks for the commitment, m8.