Hughton Happy With Ugly Win – Same Here!

Chris Hughton admits it was an ugly win last  night – but hey – a win is a win – and we won last night without playing well – so we’re not complaining.

chris hughton   -34264948

Chris Hughton – happy with ugly win – same here

And it was Chris’ first game as the permanent Newcastle manager so congratulations to the boss for getting the right result tonight.

Now we need to get 3 points at St. James’ Park on Saturday afternoon, when we are at home to Peterborough, the second bottom side – and we hope we can get a great turn-out to cheer on the lads.

There were 3,000 traveling fans at Bramall Lane  tonight – another fantastic turn out by our fans!

The game was  scrappy at best, and it took an own goal from a deflected shot from Ryan Taylor for Newcastle to get all 3 points – but as long as we keep doing what it takes to get the win – that’s just fine with us.

Hughton told Sky Sports after the game:

“I’m delighted. I think that’s what you call an ugly win,” “We knew here they haven’t had the best of times of late and would be after the win.”

“They play a particular style of play that makes it very difficult for you. You’ve got to be strong and resilient and I thought for the majority of the game we handled everything they threw at us.”

“I don’t think there’s anyone that I can pick out. It’s a team performance,” “We needed everyone on board. We needed fighters and men out there today and that’s exactly what we got.”

“I thought we showed moments of quality. We weathered the storm in the first half. I thought we got into our passing game early in the second half, although I was a little bit disappointed we weren’t able to elaborate on that a bit more.”

One thing Chris just has to correct is Newcastle’s first half form.

Quite honestly, when we were still level at the half, and with a clean sheet,  we were fairly confident the lads could get the result, because we’re always better in the final 45 minutes – but that’s not good enough.

Steven Harper and Andy Carroll took lots of credit last night for their individual performances, but Hughton insists it was a team display that got the job done.

He’s right and of course football is a team game and every single player is important.

OK – enough said – now we need 3 points against Peterborough United on Saturday – and to be honest that’s the only thing that matters right now.

Howay the Lads! – we can do it!!

• Rich TOON bristol

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:30 AM

ltrftw felt i had to register and add a comment after watching tonights game, i think our defens is spot on and with our defensive consistency we’ll have no problems but it was so evident that were desperate for a creative midfielder/winger and a pacey (not past it) striker! Jonas plays hard and fights for every ball but then just loses it needlessly or plays some awfull pass, and why oh why does chris even select butt? We dont need him we’ve got our scrappy hardcore def mid in smudge so someone like guthrie needs to be played alongside him to balance things out. Also i think that chris should get FCB by his fat throat and get him to splash out on beckford! We need to back up the defence, get some creativity in the middle and get someone like beckford in to partner andy/nile! Assuming they’re not all sold in jan to pay off FCB’s xxl xmas dinner! Debut rant over!

• davis_toons

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:34 AM

I really hope that we can get some decent center midfielder.

Our center midfield just cant attack.

Our defender dribblers and attack better then the midfielder.

nothing comes from the midfield.

• Ed Harrison

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Rich TOON bristol – good comment – and thanks.
    I think if we can get Steven Taylor back on Saturday – we may be able to get lots of clean sheets from now on – I think Coloccini is much better than we give him credit for – by the way.
    But we should never play Butt and Smith in central midfield together – that’s davis_toons point above – and it’s something that Alan Shearer has even talked about – no creativity – where are you Joey Barton? 😀
    We need 3 points on Saturday and then maybe Ashley will come good in January – or even before that.
    And I’m probably becoming deluded I know!

• nzedtoonman

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Dear Ed , Bloggers and Mister Chrissie Hughton,
    Is it me or am I missing something ? WHY do we continue to play one up front against a team who at the start of the game was seventeenth in the league ! They were able to release another player and had three up front at some times in the first half .

I’ve played the game since I was six , and I have coached , and I’m still playing 5 – aside at 49 ! So I feel I can give an educated opinion .

The idea in football , has always been play to your strengths , we have a strong attack , so WHY , please CH , are we not at least playing two up front against teams like Sheffield U and Scunthorpe of all teams ! Our midfield , as Rich Toon above kindly puts it, is not our strongest point so why fill it so that we play all our football there ! Streamline the midfield play four max there , and even at home think of playing three up front , then we would be scoring five like WBA are in their matches !

I can’t wait for Strolla to come back , we need him , more than we think !

Dear CH think POSITIVELY , not negatively , and then we would not scrape matches and lose them as we have been doing !

Any bloggers think anything else on his tactics !?

• nzedtoonman

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:28 AM

Dear Ed , Bloggers , and Mr Chrissie H,

Why we playing one up front , against the likes of Sheffield U ( 17th in league ) and teams like Scunny , when we should be playing two or three up front at home or away , and playing to our strengths , not their strengths !

• lacedaemonian

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:00 AM

Hughton must be protecting Ranger, which is the right thing to do. But he brings so much to our team it is unreal. Nolan and Carroll played really well but nobody from midfield was linking up with them.

• ginkoh

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:40 AM

This is English football. No matter whoever you play against, it’s always be the hard fought game. Let’s see Mancity-Bermingham on sunday.

It’s not fair to say Sheffield is bottom line team and we should to beat them easily because we all know every team we play against this season want to upset us. Win is Win, nothing more nothing less. However we know what’s the topic if we lose last night.

• inselaffe

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:29 AM

Thought Colo was class last night, Jose and Carroll too. Nolan and Smith seemed to fade a lot and Butt was sheight. Bizarre to see three strikers on at the end – Harewood looks well rusty….

• Nick D

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:18 AM

hughton hasn’t got the balls to not play butt, so we have him and smith playing the same position and subsequently no creativity, triangles or through balls whatsoever.

just changing ranger for butt would totally alter the dynamic. it’s not rocket science but hughton would sadly rather not lose than go out to win.

hughton is too tight with the senior pros and shearer was too with the likes of butt. talk about playing a bloke on past reputation.

• GatesheadMag

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Agree with you Inselaffe. Colo played brilliant last night. Its about time he showed some guts because he didnt let Henderson do much, and those little sly kicks were brilliant. When we first signed him I was expecting a rough Argie centre back who would wind opponents up. But his Argie team mate Jonas…. well I think enough said about him!

• nzedtoonman

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Link to video of the game , what an unbelievable FLUKEY goal by Toon !!!

This is a RUSSIAN website …

NOSTROVIA KAMRAD !

• Robbanufc

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:17 AM

In all honesty I think Chris made a smart move in playing a experienced midfield last night. It was always going to be a rough battle, and we needed a fighting side. I do agree with you that Butt is shite, but he did OK at times and made some important tackles on defensive set-pieces. Credit where credit is supposed to be, he played a 5/10 in my opinion.

I do however have to mention that young Tamas Kadar played a good game last night, and Coloccini was well class! Jose Enrique was our offensive threat and the only one contributing creatively (I have always had faith in him, and finally he’s starting to show his potential) 😀

Smith did what is expected of him, and he did it in the way he’s been doing it the whole season. Nothing spectacular, just fighting spirit and keeping it simple.

Andy Carroll was without a doubt the man of the match, he gave Morgan a real battle in every duel, and he is just 21 years old! I really think both him and Ranger is the future strikers of our club! 😀

Our weak link last night was wingers in my opinion, and that’s where we should look to strenghten in january, along with a couple of defenders!

Cheers to a pi$$ poor game, and 3 new points! Top of the league!! 😀

• Where did the good times go

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Funny result, certainly cant say we outplayed anyone, but to win 0-1 away at Bramell Lane is a very good result!

I cant agree more with one of the comments about Beckford, or at least a striker coming in…..we do not have s ‘striker’ at the club. Carroll, Ranger, Shola and Loven are all forwards / 2nd strikers.

We need creativity in midfield and playing Butt and Smith just knocks the wind out of the fans. PLay Smith and Nolan / Guthrie / Barton.

We need a winger or 2 depending on Jonas staying. Taylor scored and is great in this division as a RW, but not good enough in PL.

Dare i say it our defence is the most soild part of our squad !

• dougnufc

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Jonas’ crosses were ugly as well.

• Fak_you_ashley

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I thought we were lucky but they say the mark of a good team is that they still grind out a win when they’re playing crap.
    It’s 3 more points anyway.

HOWAY THE LADS!

• Ericles

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the condolences. I watched it in the pub. Surrounded by my sons friends, even a couple of mackems, and we all as one cheered on the toon. When I get my concentration back I will get back on this blog. Howay the lads wherever and whover we are.

• komfort

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:10 AM

nice one Ericles.

• komfort

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM

judging by the some of the rave revues some people are giving collo i’m begining to wonder if i was watching the same game ! …..to me he had no more than an average game against an average team…£10 million player ? – not in 10 million years. as for jonas – a complete waste of time & space….get rid.

• G

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM

With regard to some of the comments about the players above, Butt was one of our better midfield performers last night, and Jonas put in possibly his best cross of the season (was nobody really on the end of it like!). If I had to pick a weak link last night I would have said Simpson was it, in the first half he was easily bullied off the ball, which in fairness, is the first time I have seen it happen when he plays RB so I suspect he was just having ‘one of those’ games. How Carroll managed not to plant Morgan is amazing, as frankly he was getting lumps taken out of him every time he went for the ball. It wasn’t pretty at Bramall Lane, and the pies have gone right downhill there, but I am happy with the 3 points. I agree that we shouldnt field a 5 man midfield, but with no natural width, against a team of cloggers I think it was the sensible option. 4-4-2 for me please CH, and we need Nile ranger a bit sooner, and in a more advanced role next time.

• Jan Stavik

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM

It’s time to play more attacking football now, I want to see two attackers againt Pboro on Saturday.

Throw in Power Ranger and let Butt take a rest, it looks like he’s in need of a few weeks out.

I honestly think Newcastle is playing very boring football this term, it is possible to beat these sides even if you don’t play 4-5-1.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM

“nzedtoonman” Spot on mate like yourself I played & coached at a decent non-league level. I couldn’t understand last night’s team & tactics all it did was invite SU to attack us & if it hadn’t been for Harper we would have lost. We should not be frightened of teams like these we should be playing 2 up front & going at them from the off. We lack guile, creativity & pace in the team at the moment & without Fat Tw*t getting his money out in January I have bad vibes about the second half of the seaon. I’m also worried about CH’s team selections & tactics.

• Irish-Toon

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Harper made a couple of good saves and blocks, probably won us the three points with that reaction save at the end. I would say Collo had a good game, not a great game but a good one, he tend to get himself out of position to many times and ends up lunging at the ball. He’s good enough at this level, but not if we get promotion. Kadar improved as the game went on, he misjudged too many ball in the first half. Simpson was knocked off the ball to easily. Jose ws the stand out defender by a mile. Smudge put in a workmanlike performance as did Nolan. Taylor and Butt were ok. Jonas was a waste of space as usual, there’s no end product. I think I can only remember one cross all night. For me Andy Carroll was the man of the match with his defending helping us out on more than one occasion. All in all a scrappy game and just happy to get the 3 points

• Whumpie

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:05 AM

While I’m happy to prove we can ‘win ugly’ I’m far from convinced that it was any sort of option last night. I’ve yet to see us do it any other way this season and I don’t think we’ve got the squad to be creative or, frankly, play as NUFC should.

Was it just me, or did we have 4 forwards on at once at the end? And none of them, um… getting forward?

I think it’s all about wingers. We desperately need quick, specialist wingers who can get to the byline and cross. I think Guthrie can be our midfield attack (I agree that we don’t need both Butt and Smudge on) but a midfield full of slow hard men is no way to get through a season.

BUT you have to admit that it seemed to do the job against the Blades last night. What the hell happened in the last 20 minutes, though, I don’t know. What happened that suddenly made us incapable of gaining or keeping posession??

A bit scary, frankly.

• Whumpie

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:06 AM

By the way – does anyone else have this naive hope that Capello was watching Harps last night?

• Irish-Toon

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Well Harps has shown that he’s a sgood as anything else England have got, but Capello won’t pick him cos he plays in the fizzy pop

• Whumpie

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I’m sure Capello has played CCC players before… or was that the previous idiot?

• Irish-Toon

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I’m trying to remember who the last player fom outside the prem to play for England was and the only one I can think of at the moemnt is Steve Bull, but there must have been some since then.

• G

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM

That keeper from Pete-bog-horror got the nod last year for the squad, from Capello. He didn’t play like, but it’s a promising sign that Capello isnt afraid to delve into the lower leagues.