Jermaine Beckford Not Coming To Newcastle In January

Breaking news on Sky Sports this afternoon, that Jermaine Beckford has committed himself to Leeds United through the end of the season.

Jermaine Beckford – commits to Leeds United for rest of the season

This is somewhat similar to our other top target in January, Matthew Kilgallon, who also committed himself to Sheffield United through the end of the season.

It could be that Newcastle could pick up the 26 year-old on a free transfer in the summer, but if we are promoted, Jermaine would be quite a risk in the Premier League, since he’s completely untried at that level. Matthew Kilgallon would be a better deal for Newcastle, but we think he’ll end up at Everton on a free transfer, in the summer.

Beckford, who famously scored the winning goal in Leeds United’s terrific win at Old Trafford, says he is quite happy to stay at Leeds, as told the club’s web-site:

“After a lot of thinking over the last few days I have decided to withdraw my transfer request and commit my immediate future to Leeds United,” he told the club’s official website.

“It was never a comfortable decision for me to ask for a transfer in the first place, but after the game against Manchester United and the unbelievable reaction from the Leeds United supporters in the Wycombe match.”

“I have decided I want to finish what I have been striving to do for the last two seasons – and that is to help promote Leeds United out of a division which the club doesn’t belong.”

“Every time I put on the Leeds United shirt I give 100 per cent and can assure the fans, the manager and everyone connected with the club that I will continue to do that.”

Beckford has scored 74 goals for Leeds in just 135 appearances since joining them from non-league Wealdstone back in 2006. Newcastle bid 3 times for Beckford in early January, but would go no higher than £1.5M, rightly in our opinion, but there’s a possibility he could end up at Newcastle in the summer, for nothing.

Leeds United manager Simon Grayson had this to say this morning:

“I never wanted Jermaine to leave and we have turned down offers for him.”

“We could have cashed in, knowing what could happen at the end of the season, but the chairman has backed me all the way, and it demonstrates what we are looking to achieve.”

“Jermaine has always given us 100 per cent and hopefully his goals will play a big part for us over the next few months.”

Well, that’s our top two targets, Beckford and Kilgallon, who will not be coming to Newcastle in January, but we could do a lot worse than bring back Marlon Harewood on loan, especially since he’s used to the system and will not need any time to settle in.

Although he looks lazy at times, he can poke those goals in for us at this level.

In fact we wouldn’t be surprised, the way things are going, if  Zurab Khizanishvili comes back to Newcastle on loan too.

If  indeed they both arrive back at Newcastle, that wouldn’t be too bad, because both can do a job for us in the vital second half of the season, and both know the way the team trains and plays, and will fit straight back in.

We’ll just have to wait and see what happens, and whether manager Chris Hughton has another striker he wants to bring to Newcastle this month.

Comments always welcome.

• tom tomb

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Same old same old-newcastle managers mouth off about signings and don’t deliver-very boring!

• pharrison

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Hmmm, seems very strange that the info about wage capping and Beckford/Simpson deals seeming to collapse both are released within a couple of days of each other.

• Zangwill_Ho

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Good news Jermaine Beckford will not join!!!yeah
    Newcastle United still is power team!!!!

• pubcat

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I would genuinely be content if we just sign defenders. That’s what we need most!

It seems that Airey has come from nowhere, and though very young I’d like to see him given some sub appearances now (along with extra cameos from Donaldson and Baheng). Along with Ranger, just one extra striker on standby after being given a bit of first team experience might be enough (along with the experienced strikers)?
    Or just get Harewood in for the rest of the season and focus on getting defenders in for extra cover because we’ve been extremely lucky with lack of injuries in defense.

• Tramp

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM

We do not need Beckford or any striker for that matter.

We have ample cover in this position, we do not need to worry at all. We are not finding it difficult to find the net, our main concern in my opinion is the back four… I think we really need to tie up Simpson.

Becford is a championship player, we are looking to go up this season… In my opinion he just wouldn’t cut it in the Prem, so it’s better that we just save the cash until we do go up and then spend it on bringing bodies in who have Premiership experience.

I understand at this stage of the season it’s a good idea to get a couple players in to bolster the squad to cover for injuries and fatigue, but i would only be looking at short term signings, a couple players in on loan.

Mon tha Toon!

• Thump

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Makes me wonder if were going to get any half decent transfers in at all this season. We can’t just rely on loan signings and we need to get Simpson in asap assuming he can agree terms (although with the injury crisis at man u he might be seeing a first team chance and therefore more cash).

Disappointing that it’s the same every season, mediocre signings. What happened to the Newcastle that people actually wanted to play for? We can’t even attract league 1 players ffs 🙁

• Stardust

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM

The fact is the first half of the season we have been far and away the best club in the Championship. We just need to secure the same players we have had on loan – on loan again – simples.

• G

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Beckford not coming is good news. Trust me on this. If he had enough to his game for the top flight, where fingers crossed we are heading, one of the average to bottom end sides would have already signed him. Been watching him a lot, and I doubt very much if he can make the step up.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I think this is really good news I think he isn’t good enough

• chuck

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM

No Simpson , why ? he gets 15k. now with a 5k boost on promotion.
    And ? whoever is counting the beans said too much.
    No Kila., Why, dont really know but I would venture a guess, something similar.
    Beckford we know is not worth more than a take it or leave it 1.5m, no idea about personal terms.
    So does this mean there`s a wage and transfer cap in effect ?
    It may come as a shock to some, if in fact we make it back to the PL, following an up to now decent record in the second tier.
    The shock being, I really dont think this side at present can compete with the Stokes, Boltons or other lower league sides and if not strengthed, will not survive that essential first season back.
    Club wage caps have been attempted previously by such clubs as Man U. who realized it was a dumb system and quickly ended it.
    But here we are where, thrifty is the new cheap,
    too bad we missed out on Kila. & Simpson.
    And STARDUST
    There`s no certainty this side is going to get promoted, actually i`m more concerned about survival following promotion.
    Players possibly two or three should be brought in and embedded during the current window , while our scouts continue to look at possible
    team needs to further strengthen during the summer.
    It`s not a good idea to wait until summer to make the moves for a lot of players, as it takes time to embed players in order to have a cohesive side .

• MacToon

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:13 PM

I’d put my money on us getting more loans again than signings, it’s a cheaper way for our owner to run the club but it may well leave us in a better position at the end of the season if we are promoted.

However I’m not expecting him to dig deep even then and provide the money we’d need to survive in the EPL. I think this is Ashley’s level, the CCC (assisted by the parachute payments!).