Newcastle Pursue Portsmouth Defender

Skysports.com is reporting today that Newcastle United are keeping tabs on Portsmouth defender Mike Williamson.

Mike Williamson – Newcastle interested

The 26 year-old 6’4″ center-back, who was signed from Watford for £3just M  last September, has had a hard time of it establishing himself at the south coast club.

But with Portsmouth in trouble financially, Newcastle could cut a good deal with his club for the player.

Maybe the best deal would be to take him on loan and see how he does, with a view to signing him in the summer, if he does well.

Mike has been on the fringes of the first-team at Pompey, after shining at Watford and Wycombe Wanderers.

Mike was born ion Stoke, and has played for Torquay, Southampton, Doncaster Rovers, Wycombe Wanderers and Watford, but has yet to play for the Portsmouth first team.

He played 146 times for Wycombe with 11 goals and he played 21 times for Watford with 2 goals.

The question has to be how come he has never played at Portsmouth, but it seems that Chris Hughton is still keen on the player.

We’d prefer the lad comes here on loan, so we can gauge just how good he is.

In looking at our archives we were presumably interested in Mike while he was still at Watford last August – here’s our report where we mention he could be available for around £2M.

Comments always welcome.

• BECKS

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM

He aint that good.

Gutted we didnt get Beckford.

We still need a CB and a ST

• Robby Bobson

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Most likely just lazy journalism by somebody as we were linked with him in the summer. However a loan deal woudnt be too bad, just pointless signing him as he obviusly isnt good enough for the prem.

And cue the abuse and people moaning about we not signing anyone……..but what championship teams will be spending big this month aye?

• Roy Cropper

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM

unless he’s prepared to accept the minimum wage he wont be coming

• cam_toon

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Even looks like andy o’brian. sigh

• OHurley

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Yeah, I can understand why we’d be signing a defender- it’d be nice to have the backup, but I don’t think he’s quality.

Semi-gutted about Beckford. he’d have added some creativity for sure. BUT- he could also be a massive flop in the premiership.

Fingers crossed for Wilshere. That’d be awesome.

As for Nobby- why not? He could be a mentor to our youth. He oozed class and if he’s still fit and has skills, then sign him!

On a side note- I tried HP sauce for the first time yesterday. Pretty freakin’ good. I intend to replace ketchup completely with it. Thanks for letting me know (Batty and Tony).

• Smithy

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Wilshere would be a great signing he’s exactly what we need an attacking mid that can see a killer pass for striker and can score

• OHurley

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Smithy-

My thoughts exactly. Kinda reminds me of Luka Modric. But I think Wilshere might be better.

• TonyGreenSupreme

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:15 PM

OHurley // Jan 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Fingers crossed for Wilshere. That’d be awesome.

>>>>>>Respect man.

• Toon_Fresh

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Completely off topic but…

Did we ever find out what happened with Ed? I couldn’t be more excited about the blog being back. I’ve been lacking that certain something to kill time at work.

• MacToon

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Err Pompey have an embargo, can’t sell can’t buy as far as I know so whoever said “lazy journalism” is probably pretty close 🙂

As for buying a defender, Simpson could well be gone, Tayls n Colo have 1 real back up and Enrique hasn’t really at left back so it’s vital we strengthen our defence more than any other position.

• batty

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Toon_Fresh // Jan 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Completely off topic but…

Did we ever find out what happened with Ed?
    <<<<<< aye he got his head stuck up fat ashes arse and decker took 3 month too get him doon ed was cling on that tight

• batty

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM

(clinging)

• will die for the toon army

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I dont care bt too many long term signing all I care abt is getting the defenders sorted out. Simpson is a must get rid of Geremi and keep Simpson.

Geremi aint playing at all and he is not part of CH’s plans

• OHurley

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Batty-

How’s it hangin’ m8? Spot on about the HP sauce. I’m makin boiled beef and carrots with pease puddin tomorrow night and expect to drown everything in it. 🙂

Now- why the fck aren’t we pursuing Per Skjelbred??? Him and Wilshere in the middle with Nolan and Lovenkrands up front. I’m just sayin….

• will die for the toon army

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM

OHurley, those are the summer signing. I hope so.

I still ask myself why we still have a scouting team we never buy MA should start pocketing the money.

• OHurley

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM

WDFTA-

I know, right? Why spend money on a scouting team when we don’t ever invest…. I mean we could use a bloke like Skjelbred. We could use someone to back up our fullbacks too. And a FREAKIN RIGHT WINGER. Seriously, we badly need a right winger. Keep RT as backup, to be sure, but we need somebody with legs. A striker, I don’t know. We have strikers. We need to fill some gaps before lookin at another striker IMHO.

• OHurley

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Also-

I’m betting Skjelbred would be pretty good on the wing. I think he’s got a good cross on him. I know he’s got legs and finesse. Don’t know WHY he’s languishing with Rosenborg when he could living the dream with the Toon.

• will die for the toon army

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM

TOON is so hard to understand. we jst have to hang in there and wait when a blessing falls onto us.

• OHurley

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Truth. I’m waitin with bated breath like…