Hughton Likely To Make Changes For Saturday

With promotion being job one this season, Chris Hughton will make some changes for Saturday’s 4th round FA Cup tie at the Hawthorns.

Chris Hughton – will make changes

Chris told Newcastle United TV today:

“I will make changes but I’m yet to pick my team,”

“We’ve got a couple of knocks and bruises from Monday night as you’d expect but nothing serious to worry about.”

“It’s a tight squad here so it will certainly be a very good group of players I take to West Brom.”

“I will, though, assess what players are available and who I want to rest over the next couple of days before deciding on my team.”

We would expect Chris to start Krul, Kadar and even Ranger for Saturday’s game.

If we were honest we’re not too bothered about Saturday’s game, although a win would be good, but we must try to finish the tie on Saturday, one of the last things we want is a replay.

Our next league game is next Wednesday night, against Crystal Palace at home, followed by an away game at Leicester on Saturday, as the games start to come thick and fast.

• southerngeordie

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM

He needs to! – Will Simpson be available?

• lesh

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM

The games do come thick and fast as do the after-effects, hence the need for two or three well-chosen signings to plug any gaps.

Geddit Mr Ashley?

• Whumpie

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Kadar was just superb against Plymouth. Ranger needs another chance to make up for poor previous starts.

BUT I also think we need to take the cup seriously; it just feels wrong not to. Look at last year – 3 of 4 semi-finalists from the championship. Why not us?

• Whumpie

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM

What I don’t quite get is the focus on strikers for signings. Surely we need cover for Enrique more?

Also, am I alone in thinking we’ve been sussed by other teams now and need to bring our right wing up to speed (literally) with the left?

Pancake isn’t there yet and if we’re going to spend a couple of mill I’d really like to see it go there, to keep the opposition guessing again for the rest of the season.

• ronniezog

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM

whumpie-yu r right we need to sign someone like ivorycoast TIENE he is playing great in the africa cup of nations 😀

• Thump

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Honestly a win would be nice just to see us up against some prem teams which would be an interesting show. That said, I’m honestly nit bothered about this game at all. As nice as it would be to go on a cup run it’s not something we should overly concern ourselves with.

• pearceet

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I completely agree with Whumpie about taking the cup seriously. I believe a good cup run would lift the fans and everyone at the club. we shouldn’t worry about the amount of games because we should be able to get in enough players in order to cope with the number of games. it is the transfer window after all and we shouldn’t use the lack of numbers as an excuse not to put our strongest team out on saturday.

• ksmit

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM

The only thing that would worry me about a good cup run is player bonuses…. I’m sure that at least a few of the more insane contracts (Geremi’s) have bonuses written into them… would be horrible if we ended up losing money for signing player because we won the cup! (Wishful thinking… I know…)

• batty