Newcastle Ovation Tipped the Balance For Danny Simpson

Danny Simpson has today said that the ovation he recieved from the Newcastle crowd when he had to leave the game on Monday night, was heart-felt, and Danny says he knew right then that he could not walk away from Newcastle United.

Danny Simpson – fans’ ovation did the trick

Danny was not offered great terms at the club, but it says a lot about the youngster that he has still decided to spend his future on Tyneside.  He’s exactly the type of player we need – someone who is proud to wear the famous black and white striped shirt of the Magpies.

Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood spent time with the player on Tuesday and it looks like their efforts succeeded in persuading Danny to join the club.

Last night it was reported on the Newcastle United web-site that Simpson penned a three and a half year deal.

Simpson told the Evening Chronicle today:

“It was a nice ovation from the fans when I came off.”

“I was desperately hoping I could get such an ovation again.” “I knew then a deal was up in the air.”

“The following day I went back to the training ground and spoke to the manager. I knew things could change.”

“I did not train last week. The injury started to hurt and got worse in the second half.”

“I just did not want to let the lads down or come off. I tried hard to play through the 90 minutes, but I told them after an hour I wanted to play on.”

“It was just one of those things.”

Simpson is ready to play on Saturday at WBA in the 4th round of the FA Cup, his first game as a full Newcastle player, and the 23 year old added:

“It was a really good game and everybody played well, the defence, our two central midfielders, the wingers and the front two.”

“The game really set the standard. You could tell it was different to a lot of the games we have played.”

“That was right up there, it had all the quality.” “There was the will to win, a lot of quality, a lot of tackles and it was end-to-end, a really fast game.”

“Both teams were dying to win – and they will be again on Saturday.”

So there is a decent chance that we can win the game at the first try on Saturday – we hope so anyway – please let’s not have another draw.

• lesh

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Good lad Danny, at least pride does appear to have some value over and above pay cheques.

• Stardust

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Could have been penned by SBR himself “WBA are probably a better away side than they are at home, they have 23 points on their travels in the Championship and 23 points at home.”

• Thump

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing stardy

• chuck

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM

LESH
    So you really believe what footballers say about their clubs ?
    The badge kissing and the, it`s not about me it`s about the club , etc.
    They for the most part are mercenaries and as long as they get to play on a regular basis and earn a decent crust, will say whatever`s required.
    Grow up!

• lesh

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Certainly not Chuck and you’ll notice I used the word ‘appear’ to have some value……

I’m as cynical as you and I’m sure, many many others.

Stardust, Thump,

Yup, that pearl of wisdom could go down in [Private Eye] Colemanballs eh?

What was Clease’s term for such wisdom: A PhD in the patently obivious?

Ed, no doubt you’d posted the blog, re-read and experienced one of those ‘Oh Sh*t’ moments eh. We’ve been there… well, apart from one or two in our community. You agree Stardust?

• Stardust

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Lesh – I outed myself as Uziblogger after less than 10 hours – I can hardly hold a moral highground lol.

• Thump

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I expected so much more from you with that one stardust haha.

@lesh: wasn’t condescending, just found it a tad amusing is all. There’s been plenty of times when I’ve done the same thing and completely overlooked it (obvouslt because I know what I was thinking when I wrote it) and only realised when I was pulled up on it. Lead to a red face many a time!

• maggie pie

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM

FAO Stardust

Given that WBA have played 13 games at home and 12 away its a fair point to say they are probably a better away side.

• magpieranger

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM

If you look at the league table then you will see that WBA have played more games at home then they have away. Therefore Eds point is valid, it could be argued that they probably are a better side away from home.

• toonie

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Sky reports bid for Mike Williamson accepted !!