Williamson Move Hits Snag – Portsmouth Still Owe Watford

Sky Sports News is reporting tonight that the proposed move of Portsmouth defender Mike Williamson to Newcastle United, has hit a bit of a road- block.

Mike Williamson – Portsmouth still owe Watford money

The 26-year-old 6’4″ center-back is said to have been through a successful medical on Tyneside today, after personal terms had been agreed, and after a bid of £1M from Newcastle had been accepted by his current club Portsmouth, who of course are in a dire financial difficulties.

Sky Sports is reporting the deal has now hit a potential snag, as Portsmouth still owe money to Williamson’s former club Watford. Portsmouth signed Mike for a reported £2M in early September, but it appears that some money is still owed on that deal.

The deal was to rise to £3M based on appearances by Williamson, but he has never featured in the Portsmouth first team, and sources close to Portsmouth suggest this may be due to Portsmouth’s unwillingness to fund the extra payments that would have been required.

This is a possibility, given Portsmouth’s financial situation, where they have at least twice been unable to meet the wage bill at the south coast  club.

Portsmouth are facing a winding up petition in February, which has been brought by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), and Portsmouth must show why the club should not be declared bankrupt and “wound up”.

Portsmouth are the first Premier League club ever to be served with a winding up petition, and does not bode well for the future, especially if they cannot answer the charges. and presumably in that case they will be put in administration.

Strange way of putting it – winding up business, isn’t it?

This difficulty is none of Newcastle’s making, and we would be surprised if this snag was not cleared up rather quickly.  The player, not surprisingly, wants regular football and of course a simple solution would be for the £1M agreed fee to be paid directly from Newcastle to Watford.

That would help pay off at least £1M of whatever Portsmouth still owes Watford.

• tdt

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM

It’s called winding up because the liquidator claws back all the company’s assets, including recently made transactions, if the administrator cannot keep the company alive that is. It may not b 2 fun trading with a dying company, however it should ensure a bargain is had,

• Tom Mo.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

clear this up fast. the faster it gets cleared up the faster we get 1 more player in training and in the squad, no matter what his quality, it would help.

Now I’m no backing MA and crew by any means saying that all we need are 1m players and just backups and bodies for the squad. I still think MA has got things terribly wrong and should be easily shelling out the extra 500k here or there to get players. It is just ridiculous. If he doesn’t want to invest in the business then he might as well sell it. I know he “tried” but come on, for 80m (the price of CR9) we should be able to be sold. He is a jackass. He is actually spending somee money in the window which is an improvement and kinda getting the picture but not nearly enough. I seriously wonder sometimes if he has mental problems…I know he has saved us with the 100m loan and stuff…and stabilized the wages and all, but on multiple decisions he just always seems to make the wrong choice. We will see.

On another note I really would like a push for the FA cup, although I know I could not deal with another year in this league. We really have a good shot to have a good cup run and I think we should go for it.

• del

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Why don’t Portsmouth just go into administration and have done with it. It’s not like they’re staying up this season is it.

• MOONCRUST

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM

iam a 1st time poster on here ive heard we are after byron moore from crewe alex crackin young player

• Let.Batty.Back

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM

ed me ole chum let batty come back its not fair he is always getting picked on

• stevep

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Can’t believe portsmouth can agree a fee then up when we agree terms and player passes medical – there must be something else going on here

• pdiddy

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM

You would think that with all the knowledge and expertise we have in dealing with transfers, we’d have know his sittuation going into the deal.

• Big Dave

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I wonder if the hold up is anything to do with the transfer embargo, but I hope we get him I think he is a decent big player.

• bill

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM

The transfer embargo relates to players being newly registered by Portsmouth (players being brought in) not players leaving the club.

Portsmouth are not yet in administration so they can sell players as normal.

I guess that any issue regarding this transfer is more to do with Watford wanting a share of the spoils.

The fact that Watford are still owed money for Williamson does not come into it as far as I can see. If I buy a packet of cornflakes from a wholesaler and sell it on through my shop doesn’t mean I have to pay my supplier first. Portsmouth have sold other players that they haven’t paid for yet, so what is the problem here?

• komfort

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM

the horrible slapper that’s been pestering & putting the wonderful danny boy simpson off his game has now moved onto the – forever good looking – ryan taylor …. he’s now acting like a puppy in love with little if any interest in his job…

….12.5k per week for doing zilch – fck my old boots it’s a disgrace…..

• komfort

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:17 AM

and they say the agents are making a good living out of these boys ?…….sorry but it aint true.

…..billy hunt is a c@nt & that’s official.

• komfort

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:04 AM

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

• komfort

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:05 AM

good night komfy 🙂

• komfort

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:05 AM

aye good nite komfort 🙂

• komfort

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:07 AM

drink 🙂 …….good night

• Sydney Toon Army

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Lads – a bit of a disaster – the times is reporting that Steven Taylor is out for the season…

• MacToon

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Yep Syd T,

What a shocker but maybe we’ll get some cover and our owner could spend some £££’s, yeah I know… only joking.

• G

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Disaster if Staylor is out! He and Colo have been fantastic this season. .com are stating that its knee ligament damage too which means it is likely to cause him further grief after he recovers (mine did, and still does – haven’t kicked a ball in anger for 5 years now!).

• Will

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:50 AM

We need a Cb badly if Taylor is out.

• Hirdy_81

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM

G, I feel your pain. I had an ACL reconstruction on my right knee 2 years ago and have not kicked a ball since either. My knee seems to know when the weather is about to change lol. Thank god it is summer here in Oz but come winter then my knee stiffens up.

• Hirdy_81

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Lets hope Steven Taylor is not gone for the rest of the rest of the season, it will be a terrible blow. Lets hope the Williamson deal can still go through.