Newcastle Bid £1.8M For Beckford


Leeds United chairman Ken Bates has said today that a bid of £1.8M for top striker Jermaine Beckford from Newcastle, was rejected before his FA Cup heroics even started.

Jermaine Beckford – hero again on Saturday with 2 goals

Leeds Chairman Bates said today:

“I have always said the Beckford decision was down to Simon Grayson,”

“We could have picked up a quick £1.8M cash from Newcastle for Beckford’s transfer and Becks wanted to go.”

“But Simon has always said he would do what was best for Leeds United and that means getting promotion, which is what we are doing.”

“I am not particularly impressed with his (Beckford’s) agent but as long as Jermaine stays on the pitch and scores goals I think all the fans will be happy and that is the important thing – the fans being happy in the short and long term.”

Leeds United were knocked out of top place in League One on goal difference on Saturday, when Norwich City went top of the league on goal difference, after a 1-0 home win against Brentford.

But Leeds still have two games in hand.

Ken Bates is one of those guys who selectively issues facts with his comments, so he looks good, and with Beckford scoring two goals and looking really good against Tottenham,  the keeping of Beckford seems a good deal for Leeds right now.

But Bates could still lose Beckford in the summer for nothing – since we understand Beckford is still very keen to join Newcastle, and that’s especially true if Newcastle get promoted this season, and then that’s £1.8M down the drain for Leeds.

Just another way of looking at the situation.

But Leeds will hope they can persuade Beckford to stay on board, because there is a good chance the famous club could be back in the Premier league the season after next, with impressive manager Simon Grayson performing wonders at the Yorkshire club.

We would have been happy to have seen Beckford arrive at Newcastle, and with Harewood injured and Beckford looking good against top class opposition Manchester United and Spurs,  we wonder aloud whether Newcastle may try one more time for Beckford this week.

Probably not, since we’ll hope to get him for nothing in the summer.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

19 comments so far

  • Raffo

    Jan 25, 2010 at 12:34 PM

    Comment #1

    We wont need him in the summer and he wont come to us in the summer because unless we get some firepower and some creativity in the CM and a different dimension to our attack instead of big tall laboured front men then we will remain in this league and he will go to Everton or the like

    0
  • lesh

    Jan 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM

    Comment #2

    Ever the optimist Ed and looking at this disastrous window, I can understand why.

    But, before even considering next season, we should be doing our utmost to ensure promotion to the prem and that means…….

    0
  • Tooony

    Jan 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM

    Comment #3

    Agreed what Raffo said

    0
  • Edd Case

    Jan 25, 2010 at 12:45 PM

    Comment #4

    I thought I read somewhere that Beckford had signed for Everton? Or had ‘agreed a move’ there?

    I think we’ve missed out here. I mean, I can understand Leeds being a bit greedy but surely we could have stretched a bit more than 1.8 million?

    Harewood’s now knackered, Ameobi’s injured too, so that only leaves Carroll, Ranger and Lovenkrands.
    What the hell is the matter with Ashley? Can he not see that we need to spend 15 million or so now?
    What a twerp.

    0
  • boater

    Jan 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM

    Comment #5

    Ed – why oh why have you brought this blog back? just as I was starting to get some work done.

    Edd Case.. 15mil is fantasy stuff – no one in the prem is spending that kinda money,. however I see our current situation as perilous now. We dug ourselves out of a slump twice this season with sheer pride and self-belief – I’m not sure we’ll be able to do that again and I can’t imagine why the hell Ashley is dawdling over an investment of 3-4 mil when you consider what he stands to recoup upon promotion.

    Nobby should have been brought back in.. I agree with yees – I can’t see one reason not to. If campbell can do a job for Arsenal then why not? Nowt matters apart from between now and May.

    The anti-harewood brigade are comical.. you have to have your villain divven’t you – despite the goals he scored and the crucial points he earned us to help us stay top. He’s not Torres no but we need a finisher – and he is one… the rest doesn’t matter.

    The player I would go all out for (3-4mil?) is ol’ Darren ambrose. Goals from midfield, creative wide right play, mobile, already playing in this league.
    Isn’t he just about the perfect solution for our predicament?

    0
  • Raffo

    Jan 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

    Comment #6

    Agree with you Boater with Ambrose, though I doubt we will offer Palace what they would want for their best player, as we didnt offer enough for Beckford and Killa and they wanted to come to us!

    0
  • MacToon

    Jan 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM

    Comment #7

    We wouldn’t need him in the prem tbh, we should if promoted buy some better players in most positions to compete in the top league but unfortunately Ashley will continue gambling with the future of our club.

    0
  • Whumpie

    Jan 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM

    Comment #8

    Ambrose isn’t about to come to us, even for what looks like a short CCC stint.

    Still too many people on here justifying the media’s accusations of ‘deluded fans’.

    We are a CHAMPIONSHIP club.

    We have a turnover below £50m.

    We already have a wage bill several times the average, and bigger than average squad.

    Yes, we need a couple of new bodies of suitable class for the championship. Loans ideally, because if they do their job THEN Ashley needs to splash some proper (8-figure) cash to start the rebuilding process.

    “Disastrous” window? Nope, that was the last two – not this one.

    0
  • Whumpie

    Jan 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM

    Comment #9

    Anyway – Beckford. I think he may be a complete tool, but he showed at the weekend that he can do a job against Prem opposition, which makes the £2m a bit more sensible.

    Won’t cry when he goes elsewhere, though. Not sure he won’t be another moaning git who believes his own hype and spoils the atmosphere in the dressing room.

    Just a guess, like.

    0
  • wilson32

    Jan 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

    Comment #10

    well here is the problem mike ashley isnt going to spend anymoney so by the end of the week we will be stuck plus if we were going to get anymoney then i would not be spending it on the likes of darren ambrose and that 30 year old centre half from portsmouth i mean come on we are meant to be moving forward not backwards i mean them players will simply not be good enough to play in the prem and so will the likes of marlon alot of people on here same to think others wise i admit we do need another striker for cover plus a lb which weve been needed for along time now and a another centre half and right winger but most of all a good central midfielder who can creatie goals and score them 2 because thats what weve been lacking all season i mean here we are top of the league but not for long as the team are starting to get injurys now plus there could be more so we need to start bringing new faces in right now or we will not last its as simpley as that but ill tell you what i think carrol and ranger should have been first choice all season to gain experaince for next season but not just them others aswell as most people seem to think that chris houghton as done a good job but i dont the bloke as not got acloue but respect to the guy for standing because no 1 else would have under ashley shearer might have but if he did it wouldnt have lasted because he would not put up with ashley sh1t but i for 1 would love shearer to have the job aleast he would gain experaince this season and i believe he would have taken us up even with the team weve got because to be honest chris is a couch not a manger but its all down to ashley if he buys we will stay up but we need at least 5 to 6 more brought in and if he does not buy well its another season in the fizzy pop league but ill leave it to you guys to make your own minds up

    0
  • RyanToon

    Jan 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM

    Comment #11

    ED

    When did you start up again?

    0
  • Pons Aelius

    Jan 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM

    Comment #12

    Sadly I reckon Beckford is a no-go now. I hope I’m wrong cos I think that lad will score goals at any level, but I think our chance has passed.

    As for Ambrose, I think he’d do well in our current midfield which is painfully defensive apart from Jonas, but the money required could be better spent on injecting some much needed pace.

    0
  • G

    Jan 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

    Comment #13

    I personally do not rate Beckford one bit! He can score goals at League One level, but if he was capable of going any higher, one of the Prem mid to low table clubs would have come in for him already. He is a capable finisher, however, that’s the only thing he has to his game. A bit like Andy Cole before he signed for the toon, only without the ability to up his game, or turn and put power on whilst surrounded by defenders.

    0
  • G

    Jan 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

    Comment #14

    Agree with the comments above about Ambrose though, the lad is on fire!

    0
  • giimps

    Jan 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM

    Comment #15

    Wilson32,
    Ever heard of punctuation?

    0
  • listie

    Jan 25, 2010 at 4:42 PM

    Comment #16

    I’m not sure why this has been released by Leeds, honest view is to get clubs interested. Remember Killa said i’m staying at Sheff Wed, then he trotts off to scumberland. I think bates is saying come lads offers over £2mil please

    0
  • ziad

    Jan 25, 2010 at 5:05 PM

    Comment #17

    We need defensive now!! As I see it we still have 4 “good” striking options for the CCC.
    However we will play CP with tozer and no proper RB

    0
  • jimiley

    Jan 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

    Comment #18

    Mike Ashley will not give a penny. We are a selling club and the sale money goes into Mike’s pocket. Anybody expecting the fat one to put his hand into his pocket is just stupid. MA would not spend 10 mil to guarantee promotion and a pay off of 100 mil because he is stupid. He just cannot see it. Expect loans if we are lucky. Or players like man us 5th choice full back for half a mil. How far have we fallen? Big club? You must be joking. Just a load of stupid supporters like myself who are still willing to line Mike’s pockets while he laughs all the way to the bank and we put up with Wimbledon/Stoke headball.

    0
  • Charlietoon

    Jan 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM

    Comment #19

    You wont get him for less than 4 or 5 now.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.