It Wasn’t Very Pretty – But We Don’t Care

Newcastle are not exactly a creative, free-flowing side this season, but the lads are able to grind out results, which we did once again last night against Crystal Palace.

Nile Ranger – got second goal tonight

It looked like it would be the side’s 6th 1-0 win this season, until 18 year-old Nile Ranger scored his first home goal of his career in the 3rd minute of injury time, to make the game look a little more easy than it really was.

That was a good goal for the promising youngster, and it will give the Londoner that extra bit of confidence, and it was his second goal of the season, and we always have to remember  the lad is still only 18 years old.

And Chris Hughton is nothing if not honest, and after the game he told it like it is:

“It was one we had to grind out, and we can expect a few more of them before the season finishes, that’s for sure.”

“The only disappointment for me was that after having got the goal reasonably early, I always felt we needed the second goal to secure it.”

“And it would have been nice to have got the second goal earlier than we did.”

“But, for us, the most important thing was to get the victory and it was a good, cool finish from Nile to seal it.”

“There are aspects of our game where we could have done better tonight – our final ball – but what we were up against was a good Palace side that we knew, regardless of the situation, are a team that’s in form at the minute.”

“The nucleus of what played is what has been playing for them, so we certainly knew they weren’t going to roll over and make it an easy game for us.”

“They battled and credit to them, but we showed good spirit also and, in the end, got the win we desperately wanted.”

We are not complaining about the display or the result, because the grit and courage shown again  tonight, has got us lots of points this season, something we were very short of last season, when we were probably rightly relegated.

We were outfought far too many times last season, by teams who wanted the win more than we did, but if we do get promoted this season, there are at least 14 PL teams who we can beat by our skill, and by the never-say-die spirit that exists within the Newcastle side these days.

What was especially pleasing tonight was the impressive display given by new-signing Mike Williamson, which was the lad’s first senior game for many months, and it shows he has the courage to come in for such a critical game, and get the job done.

Good for you Mike – and welcome aboard.

We’ll take these wins whichever way we can, in order to get back to the Premier League, which is the only place Newcastle United belongs.

Howay The Lads!!

• MacToon

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:41 AM

OMG, 3rd time.

Good result, both new boys did well, worrying Enrique injury and Joans and Loven.

bloody new spam thingy……………..

• Thump

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:44 AM

My sentiments exactly, ed. Looks like Taylor and Collo have some competition if Williamson can keep this up!

@mactoon: yeah it’s blocked a good few of my comments from my iPhone and all of them from my pc =/

• gallowgate chris

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:49 AM

has anywhere got the goals?

• Sav

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:11 AM

Sure, Ed, the positives are: 3 points, a second goal to boost young Ranger and a decent debut for Williamson.
    But on the other hand, it poses as many Q’s as it answers.
    Its not that we are ugly to watch, not that Hughton isn’t clearly a decent and respected bloke, or that there’s anything wrong with a policy of ‘promotion first’ per se.

But IF we get promoted, will we be anywhere near ready, especially if Ashley intends to wait until then to sell up?
    We have adopted a policy of out-long-balling and out-bullying the Championship. So far its been successful, but we are light years away from the Prem and I fear we won’t adjust in time. Forest, West Brom and others are footballing sides outplaying us and STILL earning points. We are deservedly out of both domestic cups. Has Hughton another string to his bow, another tactic, a Plan ‘B’? And is he the man to completely rebuild a side over the summer and gel together a crop of strangers into a team during the pre-season period? It is a lot to ask.
    And there is a real fear that the heart of our current team, Nolan, Smith, Guthrie, Jonas and Colo are too sluggish or too lightweight for the Prem where they failed to grind results last year.
    Enrique, Carroll, Stephen Taylor and perhaps Kadar and Ranger will be better players next year than they were last. But will the rest be better or worse for being an extra year older?
    As Palace showed, we don’t have a monopoly on effort and team spirit in difficult circumstances.
    Heaven forbid that any sale is a drawn out affair because there’ll be no funds for the manager until it is sorted out.
    mushier poor

• ginkoh

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:28 AM

We still not good enough to look forward for the plan after we get promote.We cannot guarantee we will so what we should do is focus on game by game until the end of season. But now I always happy to see Newcastle get 3 points, No matter how we play.

• lesh

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Ed… lost my post and probably because I wasn’t aware of the need to enter into the spam shield.

Guess I won’t be the last either!

• murvar

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM

That was a superb win last night! Not a superb performance, granted, but when you consider that we ended up with a back 4 who had barely met let alone played together (Pancrate, Williamson, Colo and Kadar) with 2 out of position, any win was well earned. Williamson thoroughly deserved the MoM and Routledge showed enough to encourage us to think that his speed and creativity will be welcome assets. But I’m afraid Lovenkrans isn’t involved enough and it’s time Ranger got a start – he’s better in the air than even Carroll who was a mixture of good and bad last night. I’d start them together.

• Waldo P. Barnstormer

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:43 AM

So far this season we have been doing better than I and most supporters would have dreamed of. Also won by playing some really poor football. However the style of football is not my concern as of yet due to Stoke played some of the worst football I’ve seen for a few years and are still in the PL. The recent signings are decent not the sort to set pulses racing but just maybe what we need to sort our finances out.

My problem still lie with the people I see on this and other Blogs. Dont get me wrong I am a little pesamistic in my current outlook but people asking for Keegan style football. We dont have those type of player or manager and we dont have the funds to buy them.

WBA play a decent style of football but can concede for fun also, oh yeah and are 8 points behind us.

CH although doing a sterling job considering the circumstance but as long time appointment I dont know. As he seems to pander to the likes of Smith, Ameobi and Nolan and seems to have a queue type system of selection. As like last night when Pancrate played at RB strange but hey thats what I mean.

Mike Ashley has a lot to prove to me as a owner but credit were its due he is trying to put our house in order and after the mess Shepard left it in it was either gonna be slow and hard or a quick and very painful, just as we have got on our hands now.

But that seems to be some of the fans we have, very twisted and fickle and who want what we dont have or we cant afford rather than accepting the perameters that we have to operate within and taking pleasure in actually achieving something.

• DJG

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

What I couldn’t understand was Hughton’s decision making which last night I though was shocking.

He started with Tamas Kadar at right back, fair enough considering injuries but I just think as a left footed quite inexperienced player he really struggled and the was a few hairy moments when he had to cut inside on his left foot to clear.

Then midway through the first half, nightmare, Jose races off down the left to join Jonas in an attack and pulls op badly feeling his hamstring.

Now at this point I would have switched Kadar into LB dropped the DEFENSIVE midfielder Guthrie into RB and brought on the winger Routledge who has by this point worn a groove into the Milburn touchline with his enthusiastic warming up.

What does Hughton do, brings on Fabrice Pancrate!, a forward to play at RB!

I have to say Kadar did MUCH BETTER at LB. He looked more comfortable on his natural side and even started to reprise Enrique’s role of joining Jonas in attack!

I was impressed with Williamson, the guy was solid as a rock and constantly marshalled the defensive line. The guy is a giant and wins his share in the air as well.

When Hughton FINALLY!!! brought on Routledge in the hour mark I thought we looked a much better side. After briefly playing down the middle, Hughton then brought Ranger on for Lovenkrands who had been battered all game. Routledge switched to the right wing and always looked a danger on the counter. He reminded me a bit of Kieron Dyer. Only little but with BAGS of pace, those green boots must have rockets on. He has a nice touch as well and constantly was threading little balls through, the last of which had Ranger sprinting one-on-one for his first at home.

VERDICT- After 1 win in 5, the 3 points were all that mattered.

• Mr Books

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM

The award for most optimistic Newcastle Fan has to go to none other than Ed!

Just take a look at the stats section on the front page – We have a 6 point lead and 8 better goal difference than Forrest with a game in hand, and a 9 point cushion over Brom with same games played!
    Even more, looking at the goals breakdown we’re in the Premier League.

BTW Ed, a much better implementation of Captcha verification would be to remove the ability for auto sign on and require the user to go through the validation once at sign on instead of for every comment.

Not having a dig, I know how much time is involved in admin of a site.

• Raffo

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I am happy with the points but as many have said the performance wasnt all that good. I would like to think that CH isnt pandering to certain players but I am afraid it seems all too obvious, perhaps he is repaying their loyalty for staying with us this season? I happen to think that Nolan needs a rest and Guthrie should be playing CM. It will also be interesting to see what happens when Joey comes back, will he play in the CM where he can influence the game or will he be stuck out on RM with the RW in Wayne on the bench?

If we dont land Fox the Kadar has to play LB for a while which isnt a bad thing, and I hope R Taylor gets confined to the bench as I dont rate him at all.

On another note, I would actually like to see Stevie Taylor play with Williamson and push Collo into CDM, what do people think to that?

• Raffo

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Has anywhere got the goal highlights??

• digereedo

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM

‘there are at least 14 PL teams who we can beat by our skill’ is this serious? we are regularly out passed by championship teams. I hope Mike ashley doesn’t read that or he’ll think all is rosey.