Hughton Delighted At Double Defensive Signing

Chris Hughton is delighted to add Newcastle United’s defensive ranks with today’s double loan swoop for Fitz Hall and Patrick van Aanholt.

Fitz Hall – at the training ground today

Hall is on Tyneside until the end of the season from Queens Park Rangers, and 19 year-old Dutchman van Aanholt is on a month-long deal from Chelsea.

The two of them trained with their new team-mates today and are both available for the trip to Leicester City.

By the way the game is being televised around the world tomorrow afternoon.

“I’m delighted to get these two players on board to go with the signings of Mike and Wayne.”

“Fitz is a player we have known about for a long time and is very experienced.” “We wanted to bring in two centre-backs but also wanted two different types of player.”

“We have Fabricio Coloccini and Mike, who did very well on his debut, and now Fitz.” “He is very good on the ground and has got good pace.”

“He’s also a big, strong lad and I’m very pleased that we have him until the end of the season.”

Patrick van Aanholt, the Holland Under-21 starlet played for Coventry against the Magpies earlier in the season and Chris was impressed with what he saw.

Chris continued:

“I certainly liked what I saw that night,”

“I’ve also heard a lot of good things about him and is a player who is very highly thought of at Chelsea.”

“The move was, of course, a reaction to the situation with Jose Enrique’s injury but we’re very excited about having Patrick with us.”

“He will give us energy and it’s a good chance to have a look at him over the next month.”

We wouldn’t think we have too much chance of getting the lad long term – well not yet anyway.

Note:

I am hearing that some users are having trouble posting comments.

Your ID and password should be unchanged from a few months ago – but if you are having problems write to me here with the PW you want and I’ll reset it – thanks.

Ed Harrison

• Sav

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Good work from the Toon management so far.
    All we need now to go with Nile and Moses is a basket and the Pharoah’s daughter.

• bri_2k4

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM

i dotn get this for the last 4 years we have signed no players of any use and now they sign 3 nearly 4 in 3 days 🙂 who loves it

• yemozone

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Remains one striker………hope is gonna be moses

• Thump

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Get both Moses and Huseklepp in imo. Flog Shola to Gateshead and enjoy the rest of the season.

• The Entertainers

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I know its not the champagne signings of the yesteryears, but were a completely different prospect these days (unfortunately)

I love the fact that we are looking to pursue the youth element and am excited by the young dutch kid at LB, hope he makes an impact!

Hall is not PL quaity, but hes brought in to bolster our ravaged squad and can easily do a job in the CCC in a number of positions.

Pleased if not too over excited by all of our signings, my only disapointment is, for me the forward line is our weakest area and we still havent spent……..Beckford / Boyd would have been ideal. We need the goal poacher to go along with the 2nd striker whether that be Shola / Carroll / Ranger.

Moses is exciting and would get the fans off their seats, but i worry hes not the ‘striker’ we need.

Dont shoot me, but a cheeky loan deal for Healey across the river would also not go a miss as far as i’m concerned.

• Newutd

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Fitz Hall is nothing more than backup for all of the other centerbacks (I hope). No way near good enough for the Premiership, and ok in the Championship.

Van Aanholt is an exciting signing. Really talented player, and Chelsea rates him highly. Important guy too as Enrique seems to be out injured for some weeks.

• Pons Aelius

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:49 PM

The Entertainers –

Beckford/Boyd

Good call on both, pity we seem to have missed out

As for Healy… noooooooooo thanks