Newcastle Should Raise Bid For Moses – Now


It’s a sign of how low Newcastle United have sunk that Wigan Athletic, better known for Rugby League than football, and with crowds averaging around 19,000, can beat Newcastle to a rising young star.

Victor Moses – Newcastle lose out

But that’s what has happened as Wigan came in yesterday with a £2.5M bid for the Victor Moses, and that’s a bid the administrators couldn’t turn down, and in fact were hoping for.

Moses is said to be holding talks this morning with one of two top-flight clubs (not Newcastle) who met Palace’s administrators’ asking price of £2.5M.

The 19-year-old striker was keen to join Newcastle, but the club were unable (make that unwilling), to bid the £2.5M required.

After yesterday’s game maybe the club should think again – as the level of creativity shown by Newcastle was close to zero yesterday, and completely frustrated their loyal fans around the world.

Chris Hughton is now back to trying to bring in Everton striker James Vaughan on loan, and again we need somebody who can put the ball in the net.

Moses’ agent Tony Finnigan told the Sunday Sun:

“I’ve been given permission by Palace’s administrators to speak to two clubs in the Premier League.”

“I will be going with Victor to speak to one of them in the next 24 hours.”

Palace manager Neil Warnock, whose team had a good win against Peterborough yesterday 2-0 following a terrible week for the club, has also confirmed that Moses is bound for the top flight:

“I think it’s done, Victor is going to the Premier League,”

“I think £2.5 million is a snip for one of the best young players we’ve got.”

He’s right about the £2.5M – a pittance for what this boy could be worth in a few years time. A great investment for any club.

The transfer window closes at 5pm on Monday, and we would hope that Newcastle bring in two players – a striker and a central midfield play-maker, although with Barton coming back we not need the midfielder.

The flat performance yesterday showed that we shouldn’t get too carried away with our present side, and without significant reinforcements in the summer this team will struggle in the Premier League – should we get there come May – which is not a sure thing.

We could start that building by capturing 19 year-old Moses, who is said to be keen to join Newcastle.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

18 comments so far

  • Tom4Nufc

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM

    Comment #1

    Its honestly a disgrace, and Mike Ashley has no excuse- He has said he wants to buy young talented players with huge potential well, could Moses fit the bill any more perfectly? I think not.

    0
  • van-damn-bad-man

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:24 AM

    Comment #2

    Another transfer blunder. God save us now.

    0
  • TonyGreenSupreme

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:28 AM

    Comment #3

    Forget it, it aint gonna happen, move on.

    0
  • geordielad880

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:35 AM

    Comment #4

    The wigan deal is still not signed yet, as another club are holding talks with moses now after meeting the asking price, and liverpool have also entered the race, my £10 at 16/1 aint looking so good now!!!!! We dont need james vaughan either, he has a worse injury record than our current players, I think we need a creative player with pace ahead of a striker, some like skjbred or dorrans from west brom

    0
  • Davies

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:36 AM

    Comment #5

    Bit of an overreaction. If we don’t get him, we don’t get him. We have Lovenkrands, Ameobi,Ranger and Carroll. What we needed more than anything in this window was a solution to our right wing problem and defensive cover. The four signings so far have been very good and those that have played already have shown a lot of promise.

    If we don’t get Moses, we don’t get Moses. Whether you like it or not Ed, Wigan, whatever you may think of them, are a premier league side and we are not.

    0
  • Charlietoon

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:36 AM

    Comment #6

    Hmm comment not posted but advice taken.

    0
  • kevo175

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:37 AM

    Comment #7

    Get real man there will be no higher bid and cheap tricks of bog standard loan deals wont blind side me into thinking ashleys changed his tact, he’s spent nothing and the Moses deal is just same old same old, Wigan are a tiny little club and whelan must be laughing at pathetic Ashley

    0
  • Toon! Toon!

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:40 AM

    Comment #8

    The Shame is that the 2 teams going in for him are most probably languishing in the bottom half of the PL. Its really tight at the bottom and anyone is candidate for relegation.

    Although PL looks a good destination for Moses, it could end up being a short stay, whereas a move the the Toon imo would be a way to be part of something, a drive to promotion and part of a great team with great supporters in the PL next season.

    As above poster says though.. probably not gonna happen. Gutted. TT

    0
  • Warwick Hunt

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:40 AM

    Comment #9

    We could have done with this Lad but it doesn’t seem likely now, just hope we get in more recruits as yesterdays game showed we are lacking creativity!

    0
  • liam85

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:41 AM

    Comment #10

    Ohh I was really hoping we would sign Moses. We just need some more creativity, someone who can score goals.
    Last night’s game was shocking, we need a very good striker who can help us back up in may.

    0
  • Sav

    Jan 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM

    Comment #11

    If this kid is as good as his stats say he is, its a disappointing lack of ambition.

    A leopard doesn’t change its spots, and while Hughton has worked out well so far for him, pretty much every decision he’s made since he arrived has been driven by cost-cutting. As the BBC expose seems likely to show, there are no lengths he won’t go to to achieve that. Our proud club looks set to be dragged through the mud yet again with levels of hurt which make discussions on football matters seem irrelevant.

    Nevertheless, he has made good profit on selling Milner, Bassong, Duff, Beye, N’Zogbia, Given and Oba Martins. yet 2.5 million seems beyond the pale? Shame.

    0
  • Toon1978

    Jan 31, 2010 at 11:20 AM

    Comment #12

    Seems to me M.Ashley is refusing to pay anything over 2 million for a player. He is living in a dream world. This is bloody football not a shop where he employs younging on minimum wages. Ashley could double the value of Moses in the next few years if he decided to sell but because of his greed we have no chance. This shows how stupid he really is. We miss out on a player who wants to come here who has had R.Madrid,Arsenal,Liverpool and a host of other clubs sniffing around him because he wont stump up another million or so. The way we played last night shows we are well short of creativity and width down the right hand side alough we would of had width had numb nuts put Jonas on. Ashley is a plonker he spends more in the casino’s in a day then what he has spent in this transfer window. Come on NUST get this toss pot out of the club!!!!!!!!

    0
  • Daftus Doofus

    Jan 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM

    Comment #13

    We think that Mike Ashley is still a cheapskate and draining money out of our club at every opportunity (as his selling of the catering at St James proves).
    We also think Ashley is a total disgrace and look forward to him being shown up for the unethical miserly cad that he really is on the TV tonight.
    W also believe in Karma and believe that what goes around comes around. We think that it will come around for the FCB a lot quicker and savagely than he thinks. We look foward to this.

    0
  • Dondatta13

    Jan 31, 2010 at 11:31 AM

    Comment #14

    Toon1978 // Jan 31, 2010 at 11:20 AM

    “Ashley is a plonker he spends more in the casino’s in a day then what he has spent in this transfer window”.

    You know what, I have someone quite high up in the casino trade who has confirmed the quote above to be 100% FACT.

    So sad ……

    0
  • Toon1978

    Jan 31, 2010 at 11:38 AM

    Comment #15

    Dondatta13

    It is gut renching that he does spent more in the Casino’s. We are in the CC and still he pulls in 40 thousand fans ,he doesn’t know how lucky he is. We get more throught the gate than 90% of the PL clubs yet we are starved of any class and the class we did have at the club has been sold. Moses would of been a good start to get fans back on side but Ashleys footballing knowledge is slim to nil. Sell the club and naf off back to London.

    0
  • Dondatta13

    Jan 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

    Comment #16

    Agreed mate, should this team reach the promised land (premiership) then the level of investment that will be needed to keep us there will be vast.

    This team will get spanked by the majority up there.

    An extra £500,000 on the bid for Moses would go a long way to getting the type of quality player needed to put up a fight next season but this plumb would rather spunk millions in the Casino’s. He’s a vile excuse for a human. The BBC will confirm that tonight ….

    0
  • Toon1978

    Jan 31, 2010 at 12:08 PM

    Comment #17

    You hit the nail on the head, if we get promotion he will have to spend vast amounts of money to keep us there. What chance do we hane of that when he refuses to stump up an extra half a million for Moses. If he has kids working in his factories for a pound a week in far eastern countries then we have a crook on our hands anyway and he should be locked up and the keys thrown away. Is he the anti christ that has returned lol????????????????????

    0
  • Dondatta13

    Jan 31, 2010 at 12:37 PM

    Comment #18

    Well i’m sure trading standards and who ever else has on going investigations into the whole “Sports Direct” company will be watching very closely tonight as will the Toon Army faithful.

    I’m just gutted its only being shown region wide rather than nationwide!

    0

You must log in to post a comment.