Please Vote In Our Ashley Poll

We are holding our own poll to see how popular or unpopular Mike Ashley is right now at Newcastle.

The NUST had a recent poll in which 96% of voters said they were not satisfied with the way Ashley was running the club.

We thought that number was very high – although we know Mike can hardly be too popular with Newcastle fans, after the many mistakes he has made these last 31 months.

We are conducting our own vote to see if that result really holds water, and we want to make sure as many readers as possible register their vote, so we get a decent cross-section of fans.

This blog supports the NUST, but we are just suspicious of the results of this vote, that’s all.

So if you haven’t yet voted please cast your vote in our poll on the home page.

The poll is worded as follows:-  Do You Approve Of The Way Mike Ashley Is Now Running Newcastle United?

Thanks.

• Whumpie

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Good wording of the question. If you’d asked “Do You Approve Of The Way Mike Ashley Has Run Newcastle United?” then the result would be a lot different.

For me, we are managed by a total crook and habitual liar.

So that would be a football club, then. I don’t have to like the guy, or trust him, and I don’t.

January showed that (for whatever reason; it doesn’t matter to me) he’s learning and I personally would rather live with things as they are and watch other teams fall over through unrealistic business models. At least for now.

That said, I’d also like to see NUST get a seat on the board and a reasonable stake, say 10%. Shame they decided to use such childish and crude terms in slating Ashley; bang goes that door.

• Whumpie

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Sorry – by ‘managed by’ I of course meant ‘owned by’. CH is at the opposite end of the scale from Ashley – decent, honest and trustworthy.

Hell, if HE can work with Ashley, I’m sure I can put up with him from a distance!

• Girth

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

hmm didnt think it would be that close, seems a bit more reflective though.
    one question however, what do any of us know about the ‘running’ of a club?

• Tramp

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I don’t think we need to know anything about how to run a club.

We can make a judgement from what we have seen, and what we see now.

– All the boys at the club appear very happy, larking around and enjoying their football.

– We have no indecision about who will be our manager, who will buy the club, whether or whether not the club is or isn’t up for sale.

– Chris Hughton appears to be in complete control of who he brings in to the club, with nobody dictating to him who stays and who goes.

– We have strengthened the squad, with a number of decent signings and a couple of players who we aren’t to sure of yet, but we are eager to see what they can do.

– We currently sit top of the league by 3 points, with the chance to extend that to 6 points by the end of tonight.

– And as a product of all of this, we are no longer featured in the tabloids week in week out, as the football circus we once were.

These are all my personal observations. From what i can see, Mike Ashley at the present moment in time, for whatever reason is NOW running the club as a club should be run.

• chuck

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Strange guy actually, one minute enjoying the notoriety of drinking and joining with the fans at games.
    Then following the Keagan situation , becoming a recluse, with next to no communication with fans or press.
    I think that more than anything proved to be his biggest problem, a lack of communication, which gave the impression he could care less about the team or fans.
    It is obvious to all that he knows little about the game and his choice as no1 assistant Llambias obviously knows less.
    That imo is a major problem and if he has any intention of remaining as owner (which I doubt)
    he should address sooner than later, a top management football guy with a proven record is the number one requirement for this club to be successful.

• Anarchon

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I’m with Whumpie on this.

Ashley has been a disaster for the club, he is a self-confessed liar and I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him.

But for the moment he seems to be acting sensibly. He seems to be listening to Chris about what he needs, he is strengthening the side cheaply, and improving our chances of a return to the Premiership.

The real test is what happens when we get promoted. If you ask me whether I trust Ashley to run the club when we go up, the answer is NO. A thousand times NO.

• Tramp

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Mike Ashley isn’t an idiot… (I seriously cringed when i said that!) when it comes to business.

He’s made massive misstakes, but he now seems to have sorted things. And i think i know why.

He is being sensible. I don’t feel that he does want to be at the club anymore, but he’s not stupid. He knows that strengthening the squad on the cheap and keeping some stability in Hughton will give the biggest chance of promotion…

He can then sell the club for much more than he could while we are in the championship.

The biggest fear i have, and seriously… I have lost sleep over this. If this is the case, and he is looking to sell after promotion… We are going to find ourselves up for sale, with all that indisicion back again, who will buy us, will Hughton still be manager with new owners and meanwhile transfers will be on hold again.

If MA is looking to sell after promotion, i hope he’s looking and can get a provisional deal with somebody now to buy the club before the end of the season, so that when we do get promotion it will be a quick sell and we can move on.

• Toontastico

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Why the fook do people take the time to vote “no opinion”!!!! baffles me everytime!!!

• Wigaz

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Sorry Ed but the only response to this poll is a resounding NO!!!!!! This man is a disgrace of an owner who has Pissed on two of our most Iconic sons (KK & Shearer) made us even more of a laughing stock than we already were. This is also the bloke who turned down the abu dabi group when he could have doubled what he paid for the club but he wanted £400m! Imagine where we would be now if he’d had the brains to accept that deal? Would tevez and co be in a toon shirt? Now think about that folks before you cast your vote. If we go up & MA is still in charge we will go straight back down! We need new owners to move forward.

• chuck

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM

WIGAZ
    Exactly when did this accur ? the turning down a sale to the Abu Dhabi group.
    Sure you know what you are talking about ?

• Stevo

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Must say I’m quite surprised by the results so far. For me the guy is a crook. Always has been, always will be. People have short memories.