We Have To Look After Our Own Business – Hughton

As expected,  Chris Hughton is not getting carried away, after last night’s 5-1 win against 4th placed Cardiff City.

Chris Hughton – we have to look after our own business

Chris Hughton, as expected, has urged the Newcastle players to keep their feet on the ground, not to get ahead of themselves, and certainly not to get carried away by a 5-1 win.

Chris talked to Sky Sports after last night’s game:

“We had a good day today against a very good side that hadn’t lost for a while,”

“We know it’ll go right to the end because everybody has their own agendas and they’ll be pushing.”

“We very much expect West Brom and Forest not to lose too many games so we’ve got to look after our own business.”

Newcastle came out of the blocks last night like a steam train, against a Championship side that had four wins on the trot, and were showing some top form.

But the Magpies were an amazing 3 goals up after a short 15 minutes, with Andy Carroll involved in all three goals, and he scored two of them himself.

The other was an own goal, after Andy’s shot came off the post and was put into the net unwittingly by a Cardiff  City defender.

And that man Peter Lovenkrands, who has been in scintillating goal-scoring form of late, scored two second half goals to send his total up to eight for the season, the same as Andy Carroll’s haul so far.

Cardiff sub Aaron Wildig did get a consolation goal for the Welshmen, in the last minute, which spoiled the night only a little bit for the Newcastle side.

Dave Jones admitted his side were well beaten last night, but of course he and the Cardiff fans are disappointed there has been no money from Chairman Peter Ridsdale to buy new players during last month’s transfer window.

Dave said after the game:

“We probably just got overrun by one of the best teams in this division, with the biggest squad,”

“We couldn’t compete and when we need to change things, we can’t.”

“We’ve just got to get on with it and the fans have got to accept that because it’s going to be up and down from now unless we change things, and at the moment I can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel for that.”

We remember Peter Ridsdale as the man most responsible for some suicidal Leeds United signings a few years ago, that really hurt the Yorkshire club financially.

The famous club, as we all know, has had a disastrous slide down to obscurity, and it’s only now they look like they are making a very strong, and welcome comeback to the big time.

However, it will still take another couple of seasons  for them to get back to the PL.

Let’s hope Cardiff can get their act together soon – and they still have more than a decent chance of promotion this season.

And in the Championship playoffs, any side can win it, as has been shown so many times before.

As for the Newcastle side, we have to hope we can get automatic promotion, and that continues to be the top (and only) goal for the season.

• Sav

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:43 AM

What’s Welsh Kung Fu ?…….

Hitting the other feller before he even THINKS of hitting you!
    Haiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!!!

Sounds like there were a few exponents of the ancient art around the Toon tonight?

• Purely Belter

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:06 AM

lol Sav i like it…

i think all toon fans want is consistency in a good team that plays well, scores goals and most of all WINS. last week is quickly forgotten by some.

time to do it week in week out. granted its not easy but that should be the aim EVERY week

• Robby Bobson

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:56 AM

Robby Bobson says:
    February 5, 2010 at 12:27 am
    Lets hope a single goal decides in tomorrow…otherwise it means a cardiff win

Erm i posted this on Dooceys blog….i was right as always :S

• liamHWTT

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:28 AM

good to see the blog back up, Ed. long time reader but only recent poster.

it’s funny. chris is the most boring, uneventful, monotonous, captain obvious manager in all of football. but it works! he keeps it fairly simple… (although he has worried me — see selection/tactics against leicester and others). but keep grinding it out! hhwl!

• Uchiha_Itachi

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:30 AM

I don’t think any of us can honestly say we saw this one coming..a great time to put in our best performance of the season against a side that will steamroller anyone who doesn’t turn up to play. This performance just echoes a view shared by a lot of people that once we had a threat on both wings the goals would flow, we were starting to get figured out down the left.

What pleased me more than anything was the defensive display despite the absence of three of our first team line up and does already show the depth this window has added to this championship squad. Hopefully tomorrow we’ll see more points dropped by our rivals, still a long way to go but this was a huge win. Howay the lads!

• The Entertainers

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:07 AM

I have to hold my hands and and feared another pulsating 0 – 0.

So pleased to see big Andy getting amongst the goals, if he can add consistent goals to his game, hes not far from being a very good player.

Lovenkrands has really thrown the guantlet down since the new year and is the striker who cant be ignored………Carroll and Lovenkrands have to start the next game.

Very pleased with the formation and team CH picked and for once we showed balance and creativity.

• Danish_Magpie

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Gents,

Can everyone please remember this game so that next time we draw a game, we don’t go calling for Chris’ head, saying our tactics are negative, that we’ve been lucky to be where we are bla bla. The reaction after our last game (where we didn’t even lose!) was embarassing. We are top of the table, Chris has done a fantastic job this season… we don’t want to be the kind of supporters that overreact every time we don’t win. That’s childish and is the root of some of the problems we’ve had as a club.

I am not pro-Ashley and am not saying this because CH is my dream manager or because I want Butt in the team etc. I just think it’s important to stay balanced, also when you don’t win. Otherwise you come across fickle.

Good job to the lads tonight; I like Routledge so far, and Williamson (who I admit I knew nothing about!) has looked really good. Løvenkrands is showing good form and while I have my doubts regarding whether any of our current strikers are good nough to be in the starting XI of a top-10 side in the PL, they are doing well at this level. Well done!

Anyone have highlights from the game??

• curmon

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Chris needs to remember who did not play last night, Ameobi, Butt, Smith and keep them sidelined for the rest of the season

• Geordiedoonsooth

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Lets enjoy it while we can when (not if) we get promoted we’ll have to spend at least £20m to make sure we have a team that can stay up. I just hope this time next year we are not in a relegation dog fight

• Joey Barton 666

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I said the other day I was dissapointed with all the negativity, if someone said to me before the first game of the season against the baggies, that we would be six points clear, a certain Wayne routledge signed, simmo signed, williamson signed, and leon best signed, I would have been, not to mention getting rid of the likes of duff, owen etc. I to would have loved Moses in, but I believe we will sign better in the summer, I also think Ashley is starting to make ammends. Over the moon with last nights performance, if we go undefeated this month we are as good as up. Tooooooooon, tooooooon black and White army

• Mags

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Wow -now that was so much better. A great team performance and its was so good to see my Newcastle team attack. Dare I say it, just like the old days. Once more we have pace in the side, which has been sorely missed.

Hughton please keep Guthrie central midfield; hats off to you too for your defensive signings in the window. Our new look back 4 were so solid especially Williamson and One Size.

After the dire performance against Leicester, I was more than a little nervous prior to this match, however, the 320-mile round trip to watch my team was so worthwhile.

• jackdnufc

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM

What a tremendous win! It’ll have definitely put the frighteners on West Brom and Forest to get points on the board today. I think if we pull out another result, similar to the one last night, against Derby, even if our two “rivals” put some points on the board we will have shown our intent for the remaining games of the season.
    Great result, good management, and commitment from the lads, after last weekends poor display.

HWTL!

• workyticket

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM

liamHWTT // Feb 6, 2010 at 5:28 AM

“it’s funny. chris is the most boring, uneventful, monotonous, captain obvious manager in all of football. but it works!”

No Liam, it’s just that the things he’s done with the team have passed straight over your head. That’s a different thing.

• liamHWTT

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM

workyticket —

what the hell are you talking about?? obviously my statement passed straight over your head. i am merely commenting on how boring he is when he talks to the media. i’m not talking about how he manages the team.

considering that you don’t know the first thing about me and have never met me or discussed football with me (only blindly criticized me for a post you didn’t understand), how the hell can you comment in that way? jackass.

• workyticket

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM

liamHWTT // Feb 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM

“workyticket —

what the hell are you talking about?? obviously my statement passed straight over your head. i am merely commenting on how boring he is when he talks to the media.”

Liam, as you can see above, that isn’t what you wrote in your comment.

• liamHWTT

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM

“boring”, “monotonous”, “captain obvious” are the words i used to describe chris the speaker.

i am well aware of what chris has done with the team. isn’t it pretty obvious he has brought back some pride and eliminated the distracting crap? i do think his selection is off the mark sometimes, as i also said. and i think many would agree.