If Carroll Adds Goals To His Game He’s The Real Deal

Andy Carroll has now scored three goals in his last 3 games for Newcastle United.

Andy Carroll – adding goals to his game?

And Carroll scored a vital goal on Saturday, when a good Leon Best cross was headed in by the big Gateshead lad to rescue Newcastle from what looked like a second defeat in a row.

And his manager Chris Hughton has been working on improving Carroll’s performances on the field, his hold-up play and especially getting him to bang in more goals.

Chris said today:

“We’ve always said Andy has to add goals to his game,” “We forget he’s still young and developing. He’s still maturing into the frame he has, and the type of player he will be.”“He’s too big for me to put my arm around him!”

“I never had to check his head was in the right place.” “Throughout everything that’s gone on, we’ve seen no difference in him at all.”

That last paragraph is a reference to the trouble he’s had off the field. when he was charged with assault recently.

He needs to cut that out now – or else his career could be in jeopardy – are you listening Andy?

Andy is a handful for any defense inside that penalty area.

If he can improve his hold-up play and keep scoring those goals, then Andy Carroll could well become the real deal on Tyneside.

And if he does that he’ll get a new shirt as well – with number 9 on the back – and that’s an honor for any player at Newcastle, especially a local lad.

Go for it Andy!!

• bobby_ollox

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM

There is nothing that I would like to see better than a local lad come through and become a real legend. I am of the era that watched Beardsley Waddle and Gazza turn into some of the most exciting players we have seen.

I think Carroll has the potential to be in that category, but he has a long way to go just yet. The posturing and preening on the pitch need to give way to hard work and graft, and that what might be missing. He is young, rich and feckless – the next year will tell us whether he has what it takes.
    I wouldnt start ironing th number 9 shirt for anyone just yet ed.

• dutchy

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM

well if he gets done for that assault, he wont be much use for the games after the court date will he?

• bowburnmag

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Got to disagree with those sentiments like Ed…

I think the one thing he’s offered IS goals. He’s got five in the last six games, which is good going.

What I’d like to see is better hold-up play and better balance from him. Spends a lot of his time misdirecting headers and falling on his ar*e.

He’s not the quickest so we have to play around him and get players around him too, which we don’t do very well, in fairness to him. But it comes back all too easily.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM

The kid could be a top top centre forward he’s he certainly has the potential to be a lot better tha Crouch.

• G

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I think Carroll has bags of potential, but as has already been mentioned, he lacks pace, and his game seems very limited. If he can learn to play with his back to goal ala Shearer, then he will be a quality forward. Personnaly, I don’t think he will ever be the finished article, and I would gladly accept money should anybody offer it for his services. I still think our best hope from the younguns is young Nile Ranger.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:01 PM

G

I think you are right Ranger just seems to have better touch, vision and pace and as far as I know hasn’t assaulted team mates, women or glassed anyone in night clubs .

I don’t think it is all carroll’s fault. When you are 7 foot, you have crouch syndrome and stand out like a beacon and everyone aims for his head from 60 yards away.

I think Carroll is good to come on for the last 20 mins when if nothing else is working you throw the kitchen sink at it.

• G

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Rotonda heights

With regard to Ranger, his work rate always blows me away too. I know that doesn’t nescessarily make a player, but I appreciate graft over skill (although both is nice) any day.

• ende

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I’d personally like to see the two of them develop together as a tandem