Ranger And Youngsters Must Be Given Chance At Newcastle

There is news today that Nile Ranger is becoming frustrated at his lack of first team opportunities, since Leon Best came to the club on February 1st.

Nile Ranger – must be given chance

Nile is an up-and-coming star at Newcastle, and he has already appeared 28 times for Newcastle this season in all competitions, with 7 starts.

That’s not too bad for an 18 year-old, but Nile is ambitious, and will see his recent relegation back to the Reserve squad as just that – a step backwards.

Manager Chris Hughton talked about 18 year-old Nile today:

“Nile’s got to train hard, play well in the reserves if he gets a game for them, and continually try and push.”“Nile’s still developing as a young player.”

“It’s about what he does in the week, how he trains in the week and the competition he has in the forward areas.”

“At the start of the season, if we had said how many minutes he was going to have on the football pitch for us so far this season, I don’t think he would have believed it.”

“So far, he’s played a big part for such a young man, and he’s just got to continue to do the same.”

“Nile’s developing, and, of course, what we also have are Andy Carroll – who’s also a young lad – and Shola, Peter Lovenkrands and Leon Best, all different types of strikers.”

“He’s got to be part of that strike force and learn as much as he can, and take the opportunities when he gets them.”

But we have to say we are a little concerned that Nile is not now training with the first team squad, since the lad seems to have stacks of potential.

We have to protect our youngsters and bring them through, and give them their chance, which we haven’t always done in the past.

We cannot sacrifice the development of our youngsters by preferring more expensive players, simply because they are more expensive, and as we know from past experience they often don’t produce the goods.

It’s a fine line, and difficult for managers, but we trust that Newcastle will indeed give the young lads their chance – especially with a Youth Policy now being one of the major strategies at Newcastle.

If we don’t do that the good youngsters will become fed up and leave.

Maybe Nile will get a run-out this afternoon in the second half – that would be good.

We are big fans of this young player.

• MacToon

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Signing Best was obviously gonna be at the expence of Ranger, shame really because he (Ranger) had a real opportunity to get 1st team experience this season. We’ve already seen LuaLua wanting to move on!

• dougnufc

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Anyone seen Football’s Next Star? That Craig Walsh guy looks like a talent, shame he went to Shamrock.

• walkertoon

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM

realy think Ranger will be a star in a thew years but dunt think we need to rush him just play him 30mins hear an they.still wud be happier to see Ranger come off the bench if we was losing than Shola Ameobi wont suprise me if he would be loand out nxt season if we go up

• Big Dave

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Im sure young Ranger is well and truly peed off that he has been relegated since Best came in. I think we will see him eventually try to get a move to somewhere that he will get 1st team football. I still cant understand why we brought best in

• AngerOfTheNorth

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM

On one hand I can see Ranger’s point – I don’t think Best is anything special so he’s bound to be frustrated – however no player, no matter who they are, can demand a first team place. He’s 18 and if he’s throwing a tantrum he needs to be taught that he’s no more important than any other player and needs to be patient. He’ll get his turn.

• G

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Ranger is an excellent prospect at this time and far from finished. He needs to get his head on the game presented in front of him, regardless if its kids, reserves or first team, and make it impossible for CH to leave him out.

• Sav

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM

From a recent Changing Room exchange….

Chris:
    It’s not time to make a change,
    Just relax, take it easy.
    You’re still young, that’s your fault,
    There’s so much you have to know.
    Find a girl, settle down,
    If you want you can marry.
    Look at me, I am old, but I’m happy.

I was once like you are now, and I know that it’s not easy,
    To be calm when you’ve found something going on.
    But take your time, think a lot,
    Why, think of everything you’ve got.
    For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.

Nile:
    How can I try to explain, when I do he turns away again.
    It’s always been the same, same old story.
    From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen.
    Now there’s a way and I know that I have to go away.
    I know I have to go.

Van Aanholt is the same sort of age as Kadar and Ranger, so what sort of message does that send out? C’mon Chris, you sound like his Granny. He’s picked for England u-19s, he’s played well for the first team and the lad has a bit of pace which we need right now. Even the last 20 minute substitutions seem to have dried up for young Ranger. If you aren’t going to play him, find a club where they will keep a close eye on him on and off the field and let him get some matchplay. The chance to blood a few youngsters is one good thing about this lousy so-called Championship League.