Patrick van Aanholt – Newcastle Have Brilliant Team

Our on-loan left back from Chelsea, Patrick van Aanholt, has said some nice words about Newcastle United FC  today to the radio station BBC Newcastle.

Patrick van Aanholt – Newcastle are brilliant

Patrick could be playing his last game at Watford tomorrow, unless his loan spell can be extended for a week or two, to allow out left-back Jose Enrique time to fully recover from his injury.

The 19 year-old Dutchman told BBC Newcastle today:

“Newcastle are a massive club, I’ve enjoyed my time.” “Newcastle are top of the league, they’ve got a brilliant team and I think they will win the league.”

And of course Patrick has had enough time on Tyneside to know how passionate the Newcastle United fans are, and the supporters took quickly to the lad, who has turned in some very good performances for Newcastle.

So it’s small wonder than that he is already well liked by the supporters. 😀

Patrick continued:

“I think they like me, I’ve played six games, and when I go out in town people recognise me,”

“When my family was here, I went out for dinner with them and people came up to me, and I was like ‘that’s what happens here’.”

“They love football over here, 24-7, and it’s good.”

That’s certainly true, and even more true when the team is doing so well.

It’s the goldfish bowl Jermaine Jenas used to talk about when he left Newcastle for Tottenham, – but hey if you are really passionate about football – it’s really called heaven – football heaven.

Comments always welcome.

• boater

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

interesting reference to JJ and ‘the goldfish bowl’,, good children’s book idea there. That was down to souness and his comprehensive dismantling of an SBR squad that should have remained together for 10 years – not to mention destroying any sense of spirit or comradery.

I have to say that – apart from the results – CH has introduced something we haven’t had for years – team spirit, togetherness and the willing to work for each other and the supporters,,, you can not underestimate how significant this is to us having picked points this season and turning it around… this alone is the platform from which both promotion and survival (potentially) in the prem are based on… Simpson was desperate to stay and this speaks volumes about what CH has done.

Regardless of promotion this season – we will have seen nothing short of a footballing miracle in these parts, bearing in mind the mess in the summer.

• OHurley

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM

boater-

Well said, m8. CH really has done something magnificent so far. At the end of last season, who could’ve expected this. Seeing the lads inspired and grinding out results with the occasional dismantling, a la Cardiff and Coventry has really got me over the moon. Despite some flat football being played at times, I think this is as good as anyone could’ve hoped for. About time we’re “walkin’ in a Hughton wonderland” haha.

• Mags

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Good loan signing CH, I hope you can extend his loan period.

Thanks young ‘Van the Man’, it has been good watching you. Glad to hear you have enjoyed your stay and the Geordie welome.

• Thump

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Boater sums it up perfectly imo.

Of course we’d all prefer to see some nice attacking displays but that just isn’t possible sometimes, so it isn’t a huge deal. The important thing are the points on the board and whether it’s attractive or ugly if it gets the 3 points, I’m happy.

Good luck, Patrick. Would love to see you play a bit longer in the black and white.

• G

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Yeah, agreed Thump, good shout especially on the team spirit front Boater.

• TOONPIPES

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Deffo sign this kid up .. he obvs has quality and will be desperate to play as all he can see is Cashley and couple of others ahead of him .. he is exactly what we need to carry us up the prem .. prem class signed at a young age learns to love the toon – takes us up, wants to fulfil his ambitions with us belta price belta belta belta

• TOONPIPES

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

belta

• OHurley

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM

yeah would love to see us bag Van the Man. He’s a class signing and I really think CH is the best thing to happen to team spirit in the past decade. Good to see it showing through in the eyes of the bairns.