Hughton Only Disappointment – Conceding Late Goal

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton was quite pleased with the performance of his team this afternoon, but wasn’t pleased to give away a sloppy goal just before the end of the game.

Chris Hughton – pleased with 3 points

Andy Carroll had another good game and set up Fabricio Coloccini for an early goal and the Argentine’s second ever goal for the Tyneside club.

Then just after half time Andy out-jumped the Watford defense to head home for his 11th goal of the season.

When Will Hoskins scored early in injury time former Watford star Williamson and captain Alan Smith had strong words as the Newcastle’s defense attempt at the offside trap failed miserably.

Hughton was interviewed on Sky Sports after the game:

“It’s a tough place to come.” “They are side that have got a lot of energy, they played very well at St James’ Park earlier in the season.”

“The first goal obviously set us off and we had a period in the second half where we were very comfortable and probably the only disappointing note of the afternoon was conceding the goal when we did.”

Watford had been in good form at least at home, and this was only their second defeat in the last nine games at home.

Malky Mackay felt his side deserved better on the day, and we wonder which game he was watching:

“When you look at the balance of play I think that we deserved something out of the game.””We were playing the top team in the league and I think we coped well with the fact they decided to go long today.”

“We won a lot of ball back off that and I thought we kept possession well and dominated play at times.”

“When you’re looking out there at the pitch, at times it looks awful and we didn’t just resort to getting it and kicking it.”

“I think there were areas of the pitch where we exposed them and we managed to get into forward areas, still in good possession of the ball after four, five, six passes and that gave us good position.”

“I think it was our final ball that let us down today because we certainly got into the forward areas well.”

Newcastle deserved all 3 points today, and it was only conceding in injury time that was poor, and subjected Newcastle fans to some tense moments in the last 4 minutes of the game.

It’s strange how managers see the game differently from what really happened isn’t it?   Those words from Mackay have to be for those Watford fans who didn’t see the game.

But Newcastle are now in a reasonable position in the Championship, being 8 points clear of Nottingham Forest in 3rd place, a game in hand and a much superior goal difference.

Maybe that’s why we feel pretty good right now – but nothing has been won yet.

• tdt

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Looking good so far, keep it up! If we win r next game and then win away to boro, then i’ll be confident for winning the league! I hope to hell we do, we’re never won anything when I’ve bin alive!

It would make up nicely for last year’s desaster!

• coxonfamily

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Just pleased with 3pts lol, thats all that matters to me until we seal auto promotion, then the title, after that they can play as much creative stylish football as they like 😀

On a sad note I have to say Aaron Ramsey’s career must be in a real danger!

If you dont want to see a leg snapped in 2, look away now…

• Tom Mo.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM

God. That is horrible. I was watching but it didn’t look that bad of a tackle in real time. Ouch.

• Archie Mag

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Those Stoke fans really are something. I went down there with the toon last season and i’ve never encountered so much scum, and i’ve been to Sunderland.

Singing ‘soft as sh1te’ when the lads down with oxygen mask over his face, even those idiots could see it was a horrible tackle and he was badly hurt.

Awful team, awful place, awful fans. Shame class isn’t measured on a decibel meter.

• pearceet

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Good result. Glad to see Carroll seeing scoring again. disappointed to concede late on.

Also

HANDSHAKE FAIL!!!!

• Tom4Nufc

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Guys, very disturbing, but this shows the ramsey injury well… WARNING NOT FOR THE LIGHT HEARTED!!!

• lolly

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM

did anyone pick up on the comments bobby moncur made on real radio earlier?? he more or less said Ranger wasnt being picked for non footballing reasons…… sounds like the lad may be getting carried away with himself and being abit of a big time charlie, good to see hughton is bringing him down a peg or two then!! PS I agree with the stoke fan comments btw, im sure theres some decent fans but after the away game last season I had a bottle thrown at my head on the way out of the stadium (missed by the way!!) awful lot they were.

• Tramp

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Regarding Tom4Nufc link…

The picture of the challenge, isn’t the challenge that broke Ramseys leg. The challenge was a 50/50 on the floor… No malice at all.
    I was quite dissgusted at how Sol Campbell acted after the incident. Started going mad at Shawcross, shouting and swearing at him when he was clearly traumatised by what had just happened.

It’s a real shame, Ramsey is great talent! Wish him all the best.

• Tom4Nufc

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I know, but they are just a few pictures that I found on the internet.

I feel just as sorry for Shawcross as Ramsey in a way… He was in tears, and it was so unintentional, he didn’t deserve that kind of reaction.

Also, talk about timing, Shawcross has just been called up to the England squad:

Poor Ramsey, I hope dearly that he can recover and fufil his promising career.

• pearceet

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM

flick to sky sports news now (10 pm) and you might see the goals. they said they would show them

• Charlietoon

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Actually Ed I agree with Mackay. Not quite sure but I think we only had two shots on target the whole game. They both went in and they both came at a tactically fantastic time for us. Other than that they were far better at passing than us but our rock solid defence that rarely let a ball land and their lack of finishing gave us the advantage.

Collo was showboating. i think he was putting himself under pressure whenhe did not need to just to show the argies he should be in the world cup squad.

• Rodzilla

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Omni Consumer Products already filled the pipeline. Save 209 ’til next season. Resistance is futiel, blah blah

• xfer

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:29 AM

Not exactly a well-deserved win, but the game was played smartly, instead. We didnt look comfortable and to be fair, Watford had their fair share of possession. Their final third was woeful.

All in all, its been a good day, with results going our way.

Howay the lads!

• Ericles

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I would like to express my condolences to the family of Charlie Crowe. I only managed to see him play a couple of times when I was a lad. He was a solid and loyal player for Toon. And will be missed. He made a great contribution not just to our club but also in later yearswith his charity appeals for Alzeimers Disease. RIP Charlie.