Fabricio Coloccini Going Nowhere In The Summer

Argentine Fabricio Coloccini was like a rock once again, alongside the also impressive Mike Williamson yesterday afternoon at Vicarage Road.

Collocini – attacked by Best after scoring after just 4 minutes

And Fabricio also scored after just 4 minutes, and that goal, his second ever for the Tyneside club, he also scored at Cardiff on 13th September, made Fabricio a happy man after the final whistle.

Newcastle registered their 3rd successive win and first away win in eight attempts yesterday – an excellent win.

The Argentine International headed home after the impressive Andy Carroll had headed across the goal following a Danny Guthrie free kick.

And the center-back, who has this season become a firm favorite on Tyneside with some sterling performances at the back for Newcastle, dedicated the goal to the faithful Newcastle fans.

Fabricio paid tribute to the many traveling Newcastle fans at Vicarage Road.

“The fans have travelled a long, long way so that goal is for them,”  “I am very happy to get a goal but the win is the most important thing.”

“It was a hard game because of the pitch but we battled well and the early goal helped.”

“Andy Carroll did well to head back across goal and I was able to head it in. It was a great feeling (see photo above – it certainly looks that way) to turn around and see the fans celebrating.”

“It was similar to my last goal at Cardiff and that, too, helped to get a win.”  “I hope to score many more because we all have to chip in and I’m very happy to get two goals this season.”

We had thought that owner Mike Ashley may try to unload Coloccini in the summer to save on the Argentine’s £70K/week wages.

But it will be very difficult to do that now, with Fabricio showing such great determination and dedication to the Newcastle United club this season.

And he will want to prove he’s good enough to be a star performer in the Premiers League too – hopefully when Newcastle are back there next season.

Not many would bet against Fabricio now.

• noir9

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Collo has certainly looked the part this season….yes I know its the championship, but along with Jose I think they will cope far better with the premiership (if we get there). Williamson also looks like a good defender, S Taylor might have to settle for playing rightback when he gets fit & that would be quite a back four. How long is it since we have been able to say that?

• pearceet

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I fell that he will be sold in the Summer. He is yet to prove himself at the top level in English football. Being an Argentinian international, I would be appalled if he couldn’t excel in the second tier of English football. I feel that Ashley will want to get rid of his huge wages. Unless he takes a pay cut I feel he will leave. This I feel will be a shame because I would like to see him try and prove himself next season and if he isn’t playing well then in January think about selling him. However I don’t feel Ashley will do this.

It would be a shame as I feel he can play well in the Premiership. Look at Vidic, he had a torrid first season and now he is one of the best in the premiership if not the world.

However I believe he will (incorrectly) be sold in the summer, however if not then he will have a chance to prove himself at the top.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM

pearceet – ditto every word

• Captain Beefheart

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM

pearceet // Feb 28, 2010 at 1:20 PM ‘Unless he takes a pay cut I feel he will leave.’

A very interesting observation in the current climate. I think all ‘star’ footballers will encounter the wet kipper of economic reality being slapped across their faces in the next contract round, so some pre-emptive negotiations in June (caveats attached about actually making it – but 7 more wins should do it) might be very sensible.

Better a sensible wage ceiling and CH’s total-football keeping us safe in Prem mid table until we find out feet, than repeat the same spiral of crocked superstars and poor performances that did for us last time. I’d like to see Colo stay, sure, but on half his present wages; and I am damned sure he ain’t gonna get £35k pw anywhere else….

• will die for the toon army

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Colo aint going any where he is an Ashely signing. He made the contract he made the signings so why sell him.

Guys u have talked abt selling players and not buying players in January and it was the opposite so what I think MA owes CH and I think he will do what CH asks for of course not the KK way because CH can listen.

What I know we will get in the players we need at the right price. Look at the January we got 6 players at a barely 4m.

• Sav

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Sorry, am I missing something?

What part of: ‘That one’s for the fans, they’re brilliant, amigo’ prevents Ashley from selling Colo?

If MA can get 70k wages off and a big £10million payday by selling Colo, who may be in the shop window through the World Cup, I wouldn’t hold your breath, Ed.

• Screacher

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Things have changed somewhat since Colo signed! Unless Ashley is gone (early) in the summer, I think he will be very tempted to cash in on Colo.

Sure, he’s having a good season, and long may it continue. However, I just have a suspicion that MA will see an opportunity to off-load which will be hard for him to resist.

• tobes

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Speaking of Williamson, I really enjoyed watching him play against Watford. What I liked most however was his confrontation with Smith. Future captain/vc up against current captain. Good to see a bit of fire and leadership from the CB. Did not let Smith push him around.

• Charlietoon

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Didn’t mind Smith getting in his face. He is the Captain and is trying to be a bit of a Roy Keane type. However he also has to have the respect of the players around him. Certainly he does not shy from a tackle but too often last season the free kicks that resulted from his fouls resulted in goals against us. I thought last game he and Nolan stepped up as Jonas was getting bullied and so were some of our other players. Those two put in a couple of whoppers and a lot of that dried up.

• BruneiToooN

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:38 AM

I hope he do make the Argentina World Cup this summer to motivate him to stay with us (next season)

• lesh

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:44 AM

As everybody and their mother’s being touted for the England left-back role, how about starting the swell…….. Collocini for England!

• Davies