Coloccini Still Hoping To Make Argentine Squad

The Argentine defender put in another super performance against Watford on Saturday, and also managed to score his second goal ever for Newcastle, and boy was he excited, as the photo below shows quite clearly. 😀

Fabricio Coloccini – after scoring 2nd goal for Newcastle

Coloccini did not link up with Diego Maradona and the Argentina squad in Germany, although team-mate Jonas Gutierrez was included for the game at Munich on Wednesday night.

Instead Coloccini is now on Tyneside reliving his second goal today (again and again and again ….), as the lads were given a day off following their excellent win on Saturday.

Coloccini told the Evening Chronicle today:

“Firstly, the most important thing for me is playing well and winning with Newcastle.”  “I’m only thinking about Newcastle now because I’m not in the squad for the Germany game.”

“But always I want to go to the World Cup, and I have to work hard for that dream.” “I’d love to be representing both Argentina and Newcastle United at the World Cup in South Africa.”

Coloccini could barely contain his delight at scoring his second goal for Newcastle after just 4 minutes.

And the likable Coloccini wanted very much to talk about his goal again to the Chronicle:

“It was my second goal for Newcastle United, and it made me very happy.” “The fans came away on a long journey, and for them it was good.”

“I thought the team played well. We can play good football, but the pitch was not good.” “When we needed to be strong, the team was strong, and I thought we did our work well.”

“It was frustrating to concede the goal, but we won, and that’s the most important thing.” “At home we are strong, but it is also important we take points away.”

We certainly would like Fabricio to make the Argentine squad, after he has played so well this season for Newcastle.

And surely Maradona will be seeing the headlines surrounding Fabricio’s form in England – he’s supposed to read this blog regularly to keep check on his two Argentine  Geordies. 😀

• stevep

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Yup – Collo has been a revelation this season, obviously this is the championship but he seems to have gotten used to the pace of the english game and I’d expect him to do well in the prem next season (presuming he’s still at the toon)

Never thought he’d be up for the fight in the championship but I’ve been proven totally wrong – he and Williamson are looking a good partnership

• Captain Beefheart

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

A class act, now benefiting from a baptism of fizzy-pop fire. He will be a better player for having been at NUFC, not something we can say about everyone that crosses the Tyne Bridges!! I suspect he needs some lessons from Taylor on how to innocently employ the accidental hand when stopping shots to really impress the boss back home.

• tappy lappy

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:05 PM

He has scored more goals than Spiderman which is quite wrong really

• stevep

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Jonas has 1 goal and 6 assists but brings a lot more than his stats suggest, his highest ever goal return in a season is 3 which for an attacking winger is pretty poor – still I’d rather have him than not

• jimiley

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Colo looks real class in the Champioship. He gets found out in the Prem because he lacks real pace. I hope he makes the Argentinian team because Rooney would love playing against him.

• Mr Books

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM

The pace and movement in the Prem is light years ahead of the fizzy pop. The top 6 will run rings around us and without a significant improvement in our own pace and movement in the final third of the pitch, we will struggle against mid table sides. But if we can re-ignite a premiership level attacking threat, then that will provide some releif for the defence. I think Colo is an OK prem defender, we will see about Williamson and Taylor is a good prem defender, but unless the midfield can win a good amount of second phase, retain posession when we have it and put pressure on the ball when we dont, you are asking too much of even world class defenders. Last season we were utterly attrocious at those three things, and while we have a bit more balance and pace on the wings, we still look very static up front and dont have the pace in the middle of the park. We are showing some guts and determination which were lacking last year, but then we are sat at the top, not the bottom of the league we are in. I’m looking forward to being in the premiership next season, but not expecting anything more than a hard campaign with very worrying moments. Top 17 is ok, top 12 good, top 10 very good, top 6 disaster ;).

• Mr Books

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Oops – meant to post that on the other thread