Patrick van Aanholt Would Return To Newcastle

An interesting interview with our impressive Chelsea loan player, Patrick van Aanholt today, as he returns to the London club.

Patrick van Aanholt – outstanding youngster

The Dutch 19 year-old made seven appearances for Newcastle and that is in addition to the 20 appearances he made earlier in the season at Coventry, where we understand he was just as outstanding.

And in an exit interview with the local Evening Chronicle, Patrick has hinted he could come back to Newcastle.

When asked what his future plans were and whether he would ever consider returning to Tyneside he replied:

“As far as that is concerned, you never know – time will tell,””Newcastle have the capabilities to win this league and if they keep winning like this, then that’s what will happen.” “It’s a great team, and I hope they win the league.”

“Of course I’ll be watching the results – I’ll be keeping in touch with all the players.”  “I’m sure everything will be fine.”

We have little doubt that Newcastle would take him in a New York minute, if he was ever made available by Chelsea, and it seems Patrick really enjoyed his time at the club, where the Geordie fans immediately took to him.

He’s an honest lad who for 19 years old already looks a very good player.

Maybe we can get the lad on a season long loan next season.

One thing we’re fairly sure of is that Newcastle will try to bring in two top youngsters on loan next season, if the lads can make it to the Premier League in May.

Maybe four new signings and two loan signings for the season, will be enough to keep us above any relegation battles next season.

What do you think?

Comments very welcome.

• silverfox

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Patrick is an excellent prospect however, he is way down the pecking order at Chelsea which gives us a reality check.
    Newcastle have done really well this season, better than anyone thought but to be realistic the players who played in the premiership fell well short. The players who Houghton has brought in have done well (apart from Best) but again does anyone think that they are premier class.
    Newcastle have surpassed my expectations this year but Houghton will have to buy wisely in the premiership.

I would not like a return to the signing of journeymen, only at Newcastle for the money.

• Fozzy

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:00 PM

He seems pretty good at attacking, but i don’t rate him at defending (Charles N’Zogbia at left back comes to mind). He would be good cover at left back, it’s the same as that Bel Hadji everyone keeps going on about, he can attack but he’s not great at defending. Enrique can do both, so if we bring one of them in i can only see them being cover. We need to buy a qaulity striker, left back for cover and a qaulity right back with simpson as cover. We need a creative centre midfielder and a versitle winger who is good at attacking and can play on either wing to be cover or take over from jonas or wayne.

outs – Smith Strolla R Taylor Butt maybe nolan pancrate (they will need to be replaced)

• Tom Mo.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM

i think r taylor, butt, strolla, and pancrate need to go next season. i think smith would be good to keep. it’s not all about talent, and he is good for the team. he isn’t that bad either guys. i don’t really rate nolan much at all but I don’t think we can get rid of him next season. maybe in 2 years.

• boater

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM

You lads HAVE to have your little list of people who need to go: he’s rubbish, he’s slow, he can’t defend,, ah sweet Jesus, give us a break. Shola has averaged more than 1 in 2 this season, r taylor and nolan have scored vital goals to put us pole position,, but naaah you cannot wait to get rid,, hoy em allll oot… and just get lots of unproven kids we THINK will be good,,, oh aye and love playing for the shirt, and blah blah blah…

• boater

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:55 PM

gotta have a scapegoat,, you’d think wouldn’t you – top of the league,, looking good for promotion,,, happy contented unified squad,, by enlarge out of trouble, developing on a weekly basis, learning how to undo teams at home much better than first half of the season… you’d think you’d go on to this site and see people happy and not scapegoating the old usual suspects,, it’s in your blood now though… sigh. Funny you all want rid of people who have scored vital goals for us though,,, what does that say about the self-destructive spoilt brat on x-mas morning toon lynchmob?

• Robbanufc

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Fozzy, I couldnt agree less with you.

Smith and Nolan were our best performers in the first half of this season, and both of them have played alot of games, and the fact that their form have been poor at times, does not tell us that we should sell them! That would be like saying we should sell Enrique because he’s injured. And R Taylor have actually been quite good for us, keep in mind he has 5 goals, and he havent played alot of games. Pancrate has loads of experience, and still has some pace. I agree with Butt, but that’s it.

As for strolla, he’s injured alot, but he’s got bags of experience, and has been with us since his academy days. Many would probably disagree, but I wouldnt want to lose him.

• Robbanufc

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Boater, spot on mate!

• Tom Mo.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:14 PM

ok you have a very good point and i agree with you boater but really, nolan.. he scores goals yes. but watching him he really doesn’t provide the distribution and movement we need in the premiership

• boater

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Robbanufc.. with you all the way lad.

What does it say to the rest of the squad if Hughton turns around to nolan and smith and says – sorry boys we want new younger, sexy replacements now,, CH has built a squad which is happy to be rotated and playing with a focus and determination which alone is winning us matches most of the time.

People have been desperate to get rid of shola since his second season, he never set the league alight, never will but someone who comes in, goes on decent runs, offers something different and scores a few. Too many think they all have to be the next shearer.. or else. Good local lad – what gain do you have from him removing him from the squad? Like I said scapegoat – give Carroll a couple of bad games and he’ll be next on the chopping board. It’s always the same.

Hughton is making positive changes I didn’t think we’d see for a long time, something’s never change though,, the toon lynchmobs with their bloody little lists.

• MacToon

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM

It’s a game of opinions and I tend to agree with Fozzy.

I thought Van Aanholt did well but he seemed to keep getting caught out of position, Colo had to come across numerous times to cover, which is very good team work but it also seemed to force Jonas back alot on Saturday. He’s good but still has alot to learn.

I also agree about losing Butt and Smith and maybe Nolan but he’s the one I’d keep out of the three. Maybe the only one I don’t agree with is Strolla but I’m 50-50 with him too.
    New striker, I’d imagine we need to spend some £££’s on a number 9 atleast.

Anyway, they are all my “scapegoats” and I’ll practice my nooses for the lynchmob- Lesson for today, have no opinions and forget that half this squad got us relegated last season!

• boater

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Tom Mo. sorry for ganning overboard a bit their lad.

My point is this,, what have we learned from this season? We haven’t played very convincing football a lot of the time and have picked up a heck of a lot of unlikely points. You need your Nolans – and you’re dead right he’s slow but you have to adapt to that – and CH has shown an incredible skill for working around all his many options – especially now the squad numbers is growing finally..

Take manure – carrick, fletcher, park, anderson – all decent players but it doesn’t sound like the best 4 midfield in the league- but they are focused and play together.

I honestly think that if we continue to get behind the team and CH’s regime the only thing we have to worry about is Ashley pulling the chord again.. him selling off our prize assets – S Taylor, Enrique, Colo, Carroll and Hughton walking out possibly to a Prem club… anything other that that and I think we’ll be moving forwards.

• boater

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Mactoon – Butt is a given. Shola I’d like to stay because I can’t see one good reason for him to go – he’s always been happy as cover in the top division and he hasn’t let us down recently.

What does it do to squad morale to cull the two key senior players that the rest have looked up to for leadership this season? I’m sure some investment in key areas will be made IF we go up, and a pacey link-up striker seems a cert if Best fails to take his chance. Moses would have been a good option,, so someone like that would be nice.

• boater

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Opinions are good, just don’t like hearing the old which boils do we lance? before we’ve even got to where we’re going yet… if you knaa what I mean.

• Robbanufc

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Spot on again there mate! Getting behind the team and CH is key to promotion this season.

But I dont see why you would cut smudge off this if we do go up?! He’s been our captain this season, a true leader, who really does bleed for the shirt. His passing game has improved _ALOT_ this season, and keep in mind it’s not many seasons ago he was a striker. He’s really found his place in his defensiv midfield position this season, and for me has been one of our best 5 players this year. In fact, our 5 best in my opinion has been: Coloccini, Smith, Nolan, Jonas and Jose Enrique.

I dont really see the negative side to Nolan either… He’s our top scorer for gods sake! Both him and Smith has bags of assists also this year.

Every top team in the premiership has some of these type of players… Man utd has Fletcher, Carrick, Park, Anderson, (you can even add Berbatov to that list. He provides so much assists trough a season it’s insane. I remember some of my man utd friends who kept whining about shipping berba out after the first season, but the truth was he had 11 assists and 10 goals, without playing regularly)

Man City: De Jong, Barry.
    Spurs: Palacios, Huddlestone.
    Arsenal: Song, Diaby.
    Aston Villa: Petrov.

You can just go on but i’m not bothered, think I made my point here.

I bet you we’ll have many bids for both Smith and Nolan come this summer. I just hope we’ll be able to hold on to them.

Just a quick question. Who would you have as captain if Butt, Nolan and Smudge were to leave? Only option I can see is S Taylor.

• MacToon

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Nolan just had a bad few weeks and looked like he needed a rest. Played well again on Saturday though.

Smith, I think hasn’t got the pace or the footballing brain to be that battler infront of the back 4 and I believe you need one or the other if not both. I wish he had and proves me wrong in the next few months but he tends to make too many bad tackles, gives too many free kicks away and in bad places, in the prem you get punished for that and I certainly don’t think he’s worth the £60K+ a week. The CCC seems to suit him.

It is just my opinion.

STaylor is set to be our captain soon and I hope it’s for years to come. He certainly has improved over the last 12 months or so.

Man U have Rooney carrying them this season, one of the weakest squads I’ve seen there for many years. I’d take Carrick though 🙂

• xfer

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Just because he is down below in Chelsea’s packing order doesnt mean he isnt a good player. They have got really decent covers at Chelsea, and furthermore, we aint anywhere close to Chelsea, we’ve to take the next step realistically.

• Mags

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM

To get back to Ed’s article.

It is interesting that young Van the Man seems to have definitely left the door open with regards to him possibly coming back, although I canna see it. He shows an awful lot of promise and it was good to have him here covering for the one and only Jose!!!!!

However, I think Mactoon made a valid point insomuch as young Patrick was frequently caught out of position and needed Collo to bail him out. This is part of the learning curve for young players.

My question is why was young Tamas Kadar not used? I know his preference is central defence but I bet he would have jumped at a 7 or 9 match run given to young Patrick.

I am a huge fan of young Kadar, as he shows composure on the ball and is a solid tackler with an ability to ‘play’ the ball out of defence rather than just lump it hopefully upfield.

Surely we have to give our own youngsters the chance?

• alkinou

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM

• DJM TOON

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM

aha.. puts a funny spin on our current plight financially really!

• BeeGuy

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM

The hard, cruel reality of a PL roster is that if you want to finish with more wins than losses, you need to have the pitch occupied by players who rate as “top 10” at their position in this league. Then, you need a manager to implement a system of play that capitalizes on the skills of the roster, can make adjustments as games progress, and can keep a mostly unified dressing room. NUFC management (along with CH) will decide who has the physical skills to fit in to the plan, and go from there. We have an idea about the positive direction the team is on with bigger and faster players coming on board, with little regard to their past results. The team is looking forward to having record setters on the NUFC roster, not a remanent of some other teams past. I hope we are all pleasantly surprised that someone we now dismiss is still here next year and having a banner season. That is the sign or good management and coaching.