Newcastle Win Big When Guthrie In Central Midfield

Danny Sean Guthrie’s best position is central midfield, but with Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan nailing down those positions most of the season, he doesn’t get to play there very often.

Danny Guthrie – best position is central midfield

But when he has played there, for instance against Cardiff City and Coventry City this year at St. James’ Park, when Newcastle went to town and won 5-1 and 4-1 respectively, he’s been Newcastle’s star player.

And we wonder if there’s a coincidence to those being the times when Newcastle have completely dominated the games, when Danny plays in central midfield.

He’s not as good a player out on the wing, but that hasn’t stopped the Shrewsbury-born player from setting up several goals from his corners and crosses, when he plays out there.

In fact both goals last Saturday started from Danny’s crosses.

But at 22 years-old, Danny is still young and he’s wise to say he will remain patient, and seems happy enough just to play anywhere for the Magpies, which is a great attitude to have.

But today on Tyneside, it seems the vast majority of the players at the Newcastle club have excellent attitudes, and want to be at the famous club, and boy does it make a difference and show through!

Danny talked about his favorite position:

“That’s my favourite position, and it’s where I play my best football,” “But I’ve had to be patient, and wait for a chance.”

“I’ve played there since I was young. It’s obviously my best position, but we’ve had a way of playing, and that’s worked for us as we’ve been top of the league for most of the season.”

“I played there against Cardiff and Coventry, and really enjoyed it, but for most of the season I’ve had to play in a wider role which has been to help and aid the team.”

“I’ll stay patient. We’re top, so it was obviously working, but it was nice to get a couple of games there. It was nice to show what I can do.”

We still have high hopes that Guthrie can still improve significantly, and become the great box to box midfielder he often promises with his mature displays.

But staying patient right now is something that will also stand in him in good stead, because he’ll continue to get plenty of playing time on Tyneside.

He’s another great buy the Newcastle club has made, when we picked him up from Liverpool in the summer of 2008 for at most £2M – when Kevin Keegan was still at the club – and what a bargain the lad has turned out to be.

But we also think he will only get better.

• Aza9

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I’d like to see us sign Steven Davis from Rangers in the summer, providing all goes well from now till the end of the season obviously. Get Barton and his baggage out the door. Davis is an absolute engine and fairly creative in the centre of the park. Underrated at Villa and Fulham. BTW Guthrie is doing great and i hope he gets his chance to play more centrally in the coming games when routledge is back.

• Worjackie

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Guthrie is not doing great! His positioning and his passing is wayward especially when he’s put under pressure. He looks ordinary in this division, we will need a player with twice his ability if/when we get promoted, otherwise we will be over run. He can pass only when he is given time, which he will not get in the premiership.

• Worjackie

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Barton is twice the player Guthrie is. Keep Barton injury free, and he’ll do an excellent job in the premiership. As long as he doesn’t move next door to me, I’d be happy for him to stay in toon.

• MacToon

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM

mmm a choice between Butt, Smith or Guthrie in the centre…… mmmmm

Worjackie, maybe Barton and Guthrie could work well together in the middle, wonder if we’ll ever find out!

• Robby Bobson

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM

He’s the only player in the team who will take the game by the scruff of the neck and try stuff. The best example was when we failing against Swansea, Guthrie abaddoned his wing position, came inside and started controlling the game.

• Turkish Magpie

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM

completely agree Ed!

Strongest team of season

—————————–Harper———————-

–Simpson——Colo——–Wiliamson—-Enrique

–Routledge——Nolan——-Guthrie—-Jonas—-

———————-Carroll——Loven—————-

• Mr Books

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM

We win big when Guthrie is in the middle, because it means Jonas and Routledge are playing on the wings and Nolan and Smith are not paired in the middle!

• G

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I have to say, the headline says it all really. Results have proven that its fact, however, Worjackie has a point in the sense that we have to get Barton back there, however, regardless of the net cost Nolan & Smith had done their best to look like the first choice central midfield, which, whilst not particularly productive in terms of creativity (although Nolans runs on goal scoring opportunities speak for themselves), it has certainly done the trick in terms of cutting down the goalscoring opportunities for the opposition. I think that if we do get promoted we should see a more assured Guthrie as first choice in the middle, and flog Barton, cos lets face it, in terms of worth as an individual, and as a player we would be stupid not to cash in as even Mickey Owen had a better appearance to availability record.

• Charlietoon

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Butt and Barton should both go next year and free up some space. We have Smith, Nolan and Guthrie and it gives us the opportunity to get Vukic going or get someone else in on far less wages who is currently showing premiership quality in their football. I’m interested to hear how Lua Lua has done on loan as with him and routledge on the right I”d say bye to Pancrate and leave rtaylor as right back cover for Smith. Our back line is looking great at the moment but for another left back. Vanholt would be great. I don’t think we need to many people in next season.

• Wyn the leap

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I was at Derby when Guthrie played in the middle of a 442 ………and we lost 3-0 !!!!!