Chris Hughton Has Transformed Newcastle United

Chris Hughton is an unlikely hero on Tyneside these days, but the man has transformed the Newcastle club since last July.

Chris Hughton – unlikely hero on Tyneside

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton, who has seen home wins of 5-1, 4-1, 3-0 and 6-1 in the last four games at St. James’ Park will be given an improved contract in the summer if the club do get promoted.

And there’s not many fans who would argue that Chris and his coaches have turned the club aorund since last July, and he deserves a wage increase – and a big one at that.

If Chris had been a more ebullient character or a more famous name, he would have been receiving accolades galore for his achievements since he took over a team who were down in the dumps last July, and that’s putting it mildly.

You cannot argue with the Newcastle record of 72 points from 34 games and 21 wins, and a goal difference of  +40, and 19 clean sheets. And we didn’t even mention the terrific team spirit he has instilled into the team.

And Chris has had to maneuver very carefully with the financial position at Newcastle not being all that great this season.

Chris talked today about the financial condition at the famous Newcastle club:

“Financially it has been very difficult for this club.”

“But at the time I’ve needed support, like in the window, I’ve gotten the support from the club, and I’ve got the players I wanted to bring in.”

“Was it my policy or the club’s not to spend big money and to buy younger players? It was a combination. I know I’m not going to be asking to bring in £10M players because I know where this club is at financially.”

“So it is trying to get the right formula. What we were able to bring in were players at a good age.”  “There has to be a real thought process to anyone who comes in.”

“We knew we didn’t have to do too much to the squad but every request I had to bring in a player was met. That is all I could ask for.”

It seems sensible to look for really good buys like Chris did in January, and he’s made some very decent signings.

And we understand that Hughton already has his list of players drawn up for the summer in case Newcastle are promoted.

Hughton is nothing if not organized, and his calm demeanor and terrific work effort is certainly rubbing off on the players – and even some of the Geordie fans.

Keep it up Chris, you’re doing just great.

• boater

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM

“…If Chris had been a more ebullient character..”,, the unmistakable sound of geordies everywhere reaching for their dictionaries.

Hughton da man. Hard to argue with the salvage job he has performed. Ever the optimist – I’d like to think that if we went up we would secure survival first season – on the basis that hard to beat is hard to beat.

The Hughton honeymoon will last until we all start demanding brazilian style ‘carpet’ (R.I.P. SBR) football again… so a couple of weeks in other words.

• Toon-Army

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM

big shout out 4 CH :). long may it continue (1st btw)

• Tom4Nufc

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Epic fail Toon-Army! 😀

• Toon-Army

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM

yeah. lol. XD

• Mag 48

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:29 AM

The old question: What is better a good manager? or a lucky manager?

• tdt

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:31 AM

CH has done great for us this season, hopefully he can to the same next year. It wont be as easy though, as there wont be as many good results, thats for sure. What we will need to do is give him the opportunity to stabilise us back in the PL again. I can see it now, we’re doing ok after 10-12 games, maybe 12-13 in the league. that is when we have to give him time, not expect mircles from day one.

I would be satisfied with aiming for:

12th place next season
    10th 2011/12
    8th 2012/13
    6th 2013/14
    4th 2014/15
    3th 2015/16
    2nd 2016/17
    1st 2017/18!

I think that is realistic, dont you? lol well up to 2014/15 anyway, then its fantasy footy after that!

• Tom4Nufc

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM

No, I would say next season just stay up THEN 12-8th THEN consolidate and will be between 10th-6th for like 5 years… I can’t see us breaking that top four under any circumstances with the mega rich clubs but I don’t think anyone would be complaining if in say 5-6 years time are in the Europa League playing good football at the same time as being financially sound… Thoughts?

• tdt

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM

probably, but thats not too dissimilar to my prediction. who knows who the top 4 will be in 5-6 years time, some of the big guns could easily implode financially n do a leeds, particularly liverpool and man u. what happens if man c investors pull the plug and they need to sell all their players? ANYTHING is possible in football, never rule out viable possibilities. I didnt think we would get relegated, but there you go. I didnt think a PL team would be allowed in go into administration, but it did.

Every great manager started from square one. I think CH could be great if he is given an extended period of time to rebuild the club, sensibly. we can break into the top 4 one day, but everything needs to be going in the right direction, and we need major sability for a prolonged period. As everyone keeps saying, use arsenal as the model. Or man u with a great bunch of youngsters which created the core of a team for 10 years. Dont waste money on the “big” buys, get lots of great youngsters and even if only 1 out of 4 or 5 become great, over a few seasons of buying 4 or 5 per window, turns into a great squad that is real quality with the owen-gates and the like. Anythings possible.

• cupiddstunt

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Fist time in a long time there has been a thread where in general the posts have been with the head and not the heart. There have been teams recently that have won promotion and done very well in their first season hull and Burnley are two that come to mind, before anybody starts getting all worked up I realise that they are not doing so well at the mo but both did very well initially.

We have a better core to the team than they had and I think on paper we have a far superior squad to both of them, so there is no reason why we should talk of getting slaughtered if an when this squad takes it’s place in the top flight.

We have a manager who has done great things with the squad, and if he is allowed to have a full crack at being our prem manager then I think he will conduct himself and the team very well.

I would be very happy to end next season in the prem and comfortably safe from relegation, this will make us more attractive to our potential target players that will improve us and allow us to start consolidating, improve the squad and build for the following season nice and steady.

Well done CH,CC and the team in general for knuckling down and getting the job done thus far, just keep it rolling for another few games and we should be fine.

• clooneytoon

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Credit where credit is due. I was starting to wonder when we had that dodgy spell a few weeks back, but we have responded and probably played our best football lately too.

Well done Chris and the player’s and staff.

• Doocey

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Something I’ve preached for ages. Hughton has changed the face of this club and for the better.

He’ll take no shit, and rightly so.

• steved66

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Great thread and fantastic to see so many positive takes on the way ahead, have to say I agree with you all,then with stability and the right support we should be looking at a fairly safe first season back in the PL, a decent paln and blinding support from ourselves should allow the club to sell itself to good players with the right attitude and we can hopefully see some solid progress that will have sustainable foundations.